6 string pickup shootout. No bull, no frills.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Coryd

Coryd SS.org Regular

Looking forward to the Blackhawk vid!!!

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire highway to the metalzone

Initial thoughts on the blackhawk: I don't know if this is the alnico or ceramic version bridge but I know I like it. Just like its modded cousin the impulse this pickup has a nice beefy midrange while still being percussive on the low end. Highs are present but not overly so. The overall voicing plays well with a variety of differently voiced amps/profiles (d-moll, jvm410, archon, triple recto, Mark V, powerball). The clarity is quite good in drop B on this guitar and the output is medium-high. Cleans are solid. The overall sound is a bit darker than the impulses in this guitar but not significantly so. It works really well for a number of styles as far as I can tell, though there is a slight bump in the low end that might make it a bit harder to use for more super technical stuff. Video should be up shortly.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  3. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Those Ragnaroks sound super disappointing. I hate that cocked wah midrange found in modern metal pickups so much. Blackhawks sound more like what I'd go for.

narad and KnightBrolaire like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

yeah I tried 2 ragnarok bridges and they were both surprisingly low output. Ragnarok is kind of like a less annoying juggernaut. Blackhawks and impulses are awesome pickups. They're my favorites besides the D-sonic. Next up is the black dog.

5. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Do you like the D-sonic more than lundgrens?

6. KnightBrolaire

D-sonic is different than the lundgren m8 (only one I currently have experience with). I really liked the low end and growl that the m8 had but I think the voicing of the d-sonic just works better through my setup. I can't comment on the m6 currently since I haven't tested it yet. Both have tight low ends but the lundgren tends to be borderline stiff/a bit darker sounding on the low end. It has more of a growling midrange while the d-sonic is more snarling/screaming midrange (though not as pronounced of an effect as say painkillers or the omega). Both have pretty present high ends and have been accused of being too bright/harsh by other people (though that depends on your setup and guitar). Obviously through this particular guitar/setup the D-sonic isn't too bright for my tastes and the lundgren would probably be in the same boat. The d-sonic has a bit of a grinding almost duncan distortion esque vibe but with significantly more clarity. The d-sonic and m8 both have fine cleans, though I'd say the lundgrens feel a bit colder due to the overall voicing.

7. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

Did you do a "dimebucker" review? Probably one of my favs.

8. KnightBrolaire

I have not tested the dimebucker in this guitar.

9. KnightBrolaire

[​IMG]
    adam made me some sweet real carbon fiber tops for my elysian hellfires.

10. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

why do you need a review if you know it's one of your favs??

11. KnightBrolaire

I installed the bkp black dog and should have the demo up later today. I've talked a lot about how much I love this pickup, it's my favorite bkp besides the impulse set or the coldsweat neck, and is easily one of my favorite pickups I've ever used (besides the elysian goliaths or the omega). It's a relatively mid output pickup so you can push a ton of gain through it without losing clarity. The voicing is probably my favorite aspect: It has a relatively tight bottom end, but it's not as percussive as say the d-sonic or black winter (but still has enough tightness for good chugs/trem picking). It has a snarling midrange which makes it sound quite mean through my boogie f30 and most of my kemper profiles. The high end is present, and in the wrong guitar can be a bit too bright, but through my setup it's pretty manageable. That snarling midrange and present high end really gives it a nice aggressive cutting voice that more than suffices for most subgenres of metal. When paired with a ts style boost or marshall voiced amp the pickup sounds even more ferocious. It also cleans up very well due to having medium output and works quite well for bluesy riffage as well as jazzy runs if you roll the tone knob down a bit to round off the high end. Shreddy lead work is doable with the pickup but I can't really comment much about that since my preference has always been towards using a neck pickup for leads. The black dog can more than handle downtuning or baritone scales (since this guitar is in drop b and has a 27" scale).

12. IGC

Other people might be curious.

13. IGC

Oh yeah, kind of curious to see how it sounds in his rig too, So kind of a request.

14. KnightBrolaire

black dog video is up, next up is the nailbomb.

15. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Nice. I really dig holy divers in drop B (normal scale length).

16. KnightBrolaire

holy divers are up after the nailbomb. I've heard a lot of good things over the years about the holy diver.

17. capac

capac SS.org Regular

They are pretty thick sounding but still amazingly tight. I was shocked after hearing how tight they sound in drop B.

18. KnightBrolaire

initial thoughts on alnico nailbomb: these have great clarity in this guitar/through my setup. there's a decent amount of low end and it offers a thick/chunky sound with relatively percussive chugs. Has a slight wah/vocal like midrange (kind of like the JB but not as obnoxiously vocal as say the juggernaut). The midrange cuts through the mix really well, but doesn't seem to play as well with brighter voiced amps. highs are very present but not say icepicky like the painkiller can be in the wrong guitar/setup. It's not exactly a warm pickup on the high end. Pinch harmonics are extremely easy with it and this pickup screams. It cleans up quite well and can do a variety of genres if need be. It wouldn't be my first choice for jazzy stuff due to the high end being kind of bright, but other than that it works well with all of my usual riffs. It'd be a good choice for a darker sounding guitar/setup just due to balancing the high end more.

capac likes this.
  19. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Pretty much my thoughts on nailbomb. Diver is a better pickup IMO.

20. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Could someone explain to me what " vocal" means when referring to the ragnaroks tone? Or cocked?