6 or 8? .... Or 7?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Arteriorrhexis, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Arteriorrhexis

Arteriorrhexis SS.org Regular

Ok so I was thinking of selling my guitar. I have an ESP 608b and I'm really starting to hate the way it feels.

And I was planning to use the money from that to buy one of the 3

Ibanez S Series Electric Guitar wTremolo Assorted Colors | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

Ibanez S7420 S Series 7 String Electric Guitar | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

OR

Ibanez RGA8BK RGA 8 String Electric Guitar | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

What would you guys recommend?

2. Vinnydude

Vinnydude The Shipman Project

I would personally go for the guitar that you want.

3. Arteriorrhexis

I want all three, so that doesn't help out too much

4. blister7321

blister7321 SS.org Regular

well if you hate the 8 id say the s7420

5. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

Don't buy anything until you have tested it out in your hands. Go to the stores and check them out. Buyers remorse is a bitch!

6. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

I'd go for the S series, the RGA8 is a bit more of a fixer-upper. You'd need new pickups and rewiring a bit etc.

7. Arteriorrhexis

Yeah, I wasn't planning on buying online I figure that'd be a pretty big mistake.

8. dnoel86

dnoel86 SS.org Regular

If you can try it out and find out you like it and then snag one online for cheaper than what your local music store charges, why wouldn't you?

Also, for the love of god, get a guitar with an original wizard neck. The wizard 2 feels like a cheap imitation, IMO. The shoulders are huge and clunky, and the back is super flat...feels really uncomfortable to me, kind of like playing an oar. The original wizard necks have that nice rounded profile while still being super thin (thinner than the wizard 2 by 2-3mm). Try a prestige neck and then see if you can play a wizard 2 ever again. I certainly can't :2c:

Mordacain likes this.
  9. bigchocolateman

bigchocolateman SS.org Regular

I agree with this 100%.
    If you are going to go the Ibanez route check out prestiges used or older models. I have an old rg550 and I love it, but anytime I pick up a newer ibby with the wizard II I can't stand the way it feels. Its best if you can try them out though and find what you want.

Mordacain likes this.
  10. Arteriorrhexis

Well I'm mostly looking for an s series cause I've wanted one for so long, and mostly a 7 string.

11. bigchocolateman

bigchocolateman SS.org Regular

In that case then, the best thing to do is try to find somehow to try one out. Even if you have to drive a bit, because it is a lot better then getting a guitar that you don't like.

12. Arteriorrhexis

The good thing is I know where I can get one... I think.

There's a Samash close by that had one and I loved it, just needed a little work on it but I'll check it out again

13. waynesworld91

waynesworld91 New Member

What do you think you'll be playing with it? If you don't think you'll be doing a lot of low low rhythms, you're probably better off with a 7. It's hard to find guitarists that can utilize an 8 properly besides just doing super low riffs. A 7 is a great move on from the 6. I'd like to find more guitarists and listen to their songs of something more expanded than a really low 8 riff, something like Tosin Abasi's riffs, man he's a real guitarist! By the way, I've tried the first guitar in your links and have to say, the tap-ability on that is amazing! I've got a JP7 and I do have to say that the tightness of the Ibanez's string set has a really great feel when tapping and even just doing lots of picking. However I love my JP7 to death! Good luck on your buy!

14. aslsmm

aslsmm Banned

honesltly i cant stand the s series. ive played a 7 string one and 2 6 string ones and the body just drives me insane. i like thicker heavy guitar body's though.

15. aleXander

aleXander BlackByPopularDemand

If youre goin' to be movin' from a 7 to an 8 in the future anyways I'd get the 8.
    8 strings have built in 7 strings believe it or not

16. splinter8451

splinter8451 SS.org Regular

Well since you have an 8 and are starting to hate how it feels then I'd get a 7. But I would go for an older Japanese made 7 rather then the new S... but the new S have 24 frets so if I were getting an S I'd have to get the newer model :lol:

So, get a 7 string. For what I am doing the 8 I had was too much and I am much happier with the 3 guitars I replaced it with :D

17. Arteriorrhexis

Haha I already made the decision :lol:
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/133260-ngd-ibanez-s7420fmohgodyes.html

18. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I agree completely with these statements. The shoulders on the Wizard II make it almost painful to play in any position other than the thumb resting dead-center on the back of the neck for me. On a side note, I love the Edge Zero trem, but many don't so definitely try them first to see what you like.