5150 Style Preamp on a budget

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ATRguitar91, Sep 7, 2018.

1. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Looking for a distortion pedal/preamp that I can run into a power amp. Been using a little practice amp since the big amp stays at the practice spot, but I'm looking for an upgrade in tone for my practice rig. I use a 6505 normally, so I'm looking for something that can at least passable high gain sound.

Currently debating between the MXR 5150 or the AMT P1/P2. I'd like to spend less than $200 and have no issues buying used gear.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

3. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

AMPTWEAKER TIGHT METAL.

Made by James Brown (who designed the 5150), it is the closest any pedal has come to the 5150 preamp. It's also arguably the best preamp pedal on the market.

I've owned the MXR 5150 Overdrive and AMT P2. Neither hold a candle to the Tight Metal.

https://amptweaker.com/tightmetal/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    Gmork, ATRguitar91 and NateFalcon like this.
  4. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

mooer 005, 015 (respectively evh and peavey), amptweaker tightmetal

AkiraSpectrum, Vyn, bracky and 2 others like this.
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

AMT P2 gets my vote. It's a cool pedal, albeit tighter sounding than a regular 5150.

The Peavey Rock master is also an option, although its closer to a 5150ii or Ultra Plus.

I feel like the MXR may not be there. It's closer to the 5153 blue channel, which isnt as aggressive as a 5150.

Id say check out the P2. It's affordable, small, and sounds brutal. Very very close to that 5150 grind.

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  6. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

7. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I don’t think you can go wrong with the P2 or the Tightmetal.
    I like the R2 more than the P2 though and a few people on here share that opinion so there’s that.

If you go with either consider grabbing an Amptweaker depth finder to go with it. I have the equivalent of the depth finder in a mod on the TM and the difference it makes is night and day imo.

Gmork likes this.
  8. ATRguitar91

The P1 sounds exactly the same right? I know the P2 has more functionality, but it's nothing I need really.

9. ATRguitar91

Those sound pretty sweet, but I'm kinda leery about the lack of a 3 band EQ. How much does the tone knob change?

10. ATRguitar91

Nevermind, I was looking at the junior.

Is the Tight Metal suitable as a standalone preamp? I'd be plugging it right into an old Rocktron Velocity.

11. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Yes. It is a preamp and sounds best used that way (imo)

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I've heard there's a Possible slight difference.

And yeah it's a taste thing but both the P2 and R2 are killer. The R2 is darker, thicker, and growlier. The P2 is brighter, tighter, and more aggressive. They both sound great in their own ways.

Also Ive owned a Triple Recto and 5150II. Imo the AMT stuff is really hard to beat. The Jfet shit does wonder for pedals to make them very amp like.

Gmork and Deadpool_25 like this.
  13. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

14. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Yes, it works best into a power amp or fx return on an amp head (so as to bypass the preamp section of the amp). That's a literal quote from James Brown when I spoke to him a few years back.

The TM also features an fx loop of it's own which I generally put an EQ pedal thru, for fine tuning.

There's also an ST model, that has a 2nd fx loop (called the Side-Trak) that is only engaged when the pedal is disengaged. This is good for chorus on a clean sound, or if you want to get adventurous, I used to run a Zoom MS-50G pedal in the Side-Trak, using a Fender amp model + fx for my clean tones. It worked great!

15. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Peavey XXL combo.

16. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

You could probably get an old Peavey Vypyr 30 combo for <$150 and its 6505 model does a more than passable job doing the 5150 sound; especially for just practicing.

Beheroth likes this.
  17. ATRguitar91

Ironically enough, that's what I've been using. I just moved back home after living elsewhere for a while.

The Vypyr served nobly, especially for the cost, but even free vst amps sound better to my ear and I'd rather not have to use my PC every time I want to riff. I'll certainly keep it around, but now that I've got access to my spare cab and power amp I'd like to use those.

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

As someone who owns them all.... the P2 Drive Mini would be perfect and you can find them for $70 or less online. It also has an added mid focus switch which allows you to select between midrangey EVH tones and more modern metal, compressed, tighter sounding tones.

The Tech21 OMG also has that 5150 sound and has a built in boost (you can use either too) that is perfectly dialed in. It is one of my fav pedals. It is also heavily compressed and articulate.

When you have more money get an MI Audio Megalith Delta! It has a 5150 style setting and it is just CRUSHING. (It also does Mesa and Diezel)

19. ATRguitar91

If I'm reading right, it doesn't seem like the mini versions would work as well as a standalone preamp, that they're better into a clean amp.

The P1 seems to be available for around 85. If I have no need for the clean amp or drive out, is that a good option? Seems to do exactly what I'd need it to.

I'm thinking I'll get one of these AMT pedals for now and then grab a Tight Metal later.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  20. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

No. The drive is the exact drive section of the P1 and P2. The LA2 P2 adds clean channel and 3 outputs instead of 1. The drive and drive mini are designed only to be used input into a very clean channel (preferably with high headroom), whereas LA2 pedals add those other features (can be run direct to board or DAW, very clean channel, or to a power amp).