5150 problems (pilot light but no sound)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by siire, Oct 23, 2016.

1. siire

siire SS.org Regular

I have a 5150 that I'm having issues with. One practice it suddenly went dead silent (but the pilot light still lights up). I switched the fuse, but to no avail. I read somewhere that sometimes rust in the fx loop can mess things up, so i plugged a short cable between the in and out of the loop but that didn't work either

I've tried different speakers and speaker cables, and the guitar is fine etc.

I've never switched tubes before, so I'm guessing I might need to do that now? Just want to check if there's something else I should check before I do that.

Hope someone can lend me a hand!

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Try plugging in your guitar directly into the FX return with the volume on 0, then gradually bring it up as you play some open strings. If you hear the guitar through the amp, then it's not an issue with the tube dedicated to the FX loop or the phase inverter. Otherwise it may be worth swapping all of the preamp tubes at the same time or having your local shop take a look at it.

3. BillNephew

BillNephew SS.org Regular

I don't know how well versed you are in tube amp maintenance, but I'd heavily recommend to just have a shop look at it if you're not too familiar. 9/10 times when an amp is making strange sounds/no sounds, it is a tube not operating as it should. The trick is narrowing it down.