5150 problem

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by EricSVT18, Jan 31, 2013.

1. EricSVT18

EricSVT18 SS.org Regular

Something is wrong with my 5150 out of no where. no matter how much I mess with the volume knob, the volume wont go past a certain level. And the amp had a hard time starting up. It shut off a couple times by it self when it was warming up. Also, when I plug in the boss pedal into the FX the volume becomes even quieter. What do you think it is? Preamp tubes?

2. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I would say power tubes over preamp tubes. If you have any spare power tubes lying around, swap them and see if the problem is solved.

Is there a lot of background noise? If so, it might very well be preamp tubes.

I wouldn't keep turning it on and off or messing with the volume until you get new power tubes, or you might take a resistor out with it

3. EricSVT18

EricSVT18 SS.org Regular

Yeah I shut it off, I'm done. And no I don't really hear any background noise. It literally happened out of no where. 2 days ago it was working fine, yesterday I didn't play, and then today this happens.

4. EricSVT18

EricSVT18 SS.org Regular

And wait a second, after the amp shut off the first time, I noticed my clock restarted because they're plugged in the same power strip. So I'm assuming I blew a fuse or something then too.

5. EricSVT18

EricSVT18 SS.org Regular

Bump. Any ideas? I'm taking it to a shop next week. Just hoping its not a super expensive fix.

6. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

It really sounds like power tubes. Get it to a tech.

7. xoi

xoi SS.org Regular

sounds like your amp is pulling to much current and, like you said, tripped the breaker in your house for that outlet. check the fuse on your amp...i'm gonna go ahead and say it's probably toast.

could be any number of things causing this, i.e. loose wire, bad power tubes, or a short somewhere in the circuit. if you're not comfortable taking the amp apart or don't really know what to look for, then definitely take it to a tech, as it could be a cheap fix. the fact that it tripped your breaker makes me think it could be something other than the power tubes though.

8. EricSVT18

EricSVT18 SS.org Regular

Yeah I honestly don't know what to look for so I wouldn't be comfortable taking it apart myself

9. UltimaWeapon

UltimaWeapon yolo-swag-3000

I wont start a new thread so i put it here.
    I have the same problem. I bought the amp 2 months ago and i played it few times. Then i had some other things to do and didnt turn on the amp for like 3 weeks. But then suddenly it plays like it would have 0,5 or 1w.
    Its a 212 COMBO (1995)
    The post gain knob works like this. At 1 it starts breaking up (before this i had to turn it to 0,2 and was loud like hell). Around 2 and 4 it looses volume and its bassy. Around 5+ its starts breaking up but wont be any louder.
    I bought new tubes and arrived today so i couldnt wait and tried em out. The problem is still there.
    Here is a video (sorry but my phone recorded this in mono LOL)

10. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Old amp, could be several things: opamps, capacitors, pots, dirty sockets/ jacks. Need a good tech to open her up.

11. UltimaWeapon

UltimaWeapon yolo-swag-3000

Okay... i repaired, me smart.
    I put a patch cable into the fx loop connecting the return and the send and it popped. Somehow it reset it self.
    Now i think something is wrong with the Fxloop. I hope i wont need to change the input jacks. Any idea how to clean them? Probably are oxidated what i heard.

12. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Spray deoxit or contact cleaner on to a 1/4 inch plug and run it in and out of one jack. Repeat for the other