5150 212 combo questions

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by UltimaWeapon, Dec 6, 2017.

1. UltimaWeapon

UltimaWeapon yolo-swag-3000

Chellou.

Some noob questions id like to ask...

I was thinking about getting a compact solution rig with real tubes and when i scrolled through some second hand stuff i found some old peavey 5150 212s.

I read somewhere that the Fx loop on these combos is noisy/hissy is that true? I have an EHX silencer which has 2 ins and 2 outs. Will it help get rid of the noise?

I have a boss GT8 and wanted to utilize the amp control function but since the GT8s relay is mono (tip) and the channel switch option on the peavey is stereo and on the ring changing the wiring on a stereo cable will help?

Also the clean channel isnt the cleanest on these amps but i had an idea. What if the boss would run in 4CM and if i would create a clean patch with the FX loop block (on the BOSS) before everything and with some Fender type clean simulation then the signal might disable the 5150s preamp?

Conecting some external cabinet will disable the internal speakers or it will extend the sound?

Replacing tubes doesnt need biasing? Really?

Should i get the old 5150 or some newer 6505? (not the chinese 6505+ 112) the price is mostly the same. But the age is sometimes 10+ years different.

thanks cheers

2. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I have the original 5150 212 combo and it is devastating for the heavies. Sounds great. Here is a cell phone video I made in an unfinished basement with the stock speakers.

[video]

I do not find it noticeably noisier than other high gain amps but yes whatever noise is there can be eliminated with a noise gate.

You can use an extension cabinet OR you can unplug the stock speakers and use external cab solo.

I will say though. For being Sheffields, those speakers are voiced just right for that amp. I have a Mills 2x12 with Eminence Legends and the Sheffields with the Peavey SLAY the Eminence, no contest. They sound really good IMO.

I say always check the bias on a new set of tubes. If they are the same exact tubes and are very consistent you may be ok but I would still check. FWIW I have the original tubes I think (I got it used) and they are still going and sound great so I don't even want to touch them.

I have not played the 6505 combo but I would recommend the 5150. From what I have researched it is voiced a little different on the combo vs the amp and idk man it just slays for heavy stuff. Too awkward and heavy for me to want to move around but for a home practice amp it is great and I am very happy.

Can't help with the other questions because I have no experience with that.

UltimaWeapon likes this.
  3. UltimaWeapon

Thanks for the answers. The sound from your video is exactly what i wanted to hear. Most youtube videos sound thin and like these combos would have 1 preamp tube instead of 5. I played on many other peaveys but those were heads. I was always an anti combo guy. But since most gigs around are small where i dont really need to bring a 100w head with a 412 cab this might be the way. In most scenarios even an Modeling rack unit is an overkill for these venues even those are lighter and easier to carry around. :D

4. Jacksonluvr636

FWIW the 5150 combo is very hard to move around.

The way the handles are placed is just a really bad design. It is not all that heavy but it is very awkward picking up.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. UltimaWeapon

Funny because the guy who sells this combo wrote the same thing. ITS heavy and he wants something lighter. Once i had regular 412 which in most cases are around 40-50kgs and it wasnt that bad. I know it has handles on different positions tho.

6. Jacksonluvr636

Well I think it is like 90 pounds if I remember correctly. I mean it is not super light but I have heavier 4x12 cabs. I feel the way the handles are located makes it seem even heavier than it really is.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. UltimaWeapon

Im going for the amp today yay!

AkiraSpectrum and Jacksonluvr636 like this.