50 watt vs 100 watt amp tightness

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Hollowway, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I really need to try these side by side. As best I can tell, Fryette are the tightest, driest amps available. And since I’d have to buy used, I don’t have a lot of option for comparison. But, I’m also thinking maybe of going for the KT88 tube versions, and at least that way I can have two different flavors, especially if I keep my 50CL.

I am going to try the midrange before preamp, and scoop after preamp, thing, though, and see if I can EQ it to be super punchy. My fear is that I’ll spend another $1000-$2000 on an amp that sounds virtually identical to what I have already. Half of the comments online say you can dial in the 50CL to sound like the 100, half say they’re night and day different. That’s probably what I’d find for any amp that has a 50 and 100 watt model.

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I really need to try these side by side. As best I can tell, Fryette are the tightest, driest amps available. And since I’d have to buy used, I don’t have a lot of option for comparison. But, I’m also thinking maybe of going for the KT88 tube versions, and at least that way I can have two different flavors, especially if I keep my 50CL.

I am going to try the midrange before preamp, and scoop after preamp, thing, though, and see if I can EQ it to be super punchy. My fear is that I’ll spend another $1000-$2000 on an amp that sounds virtually identical to what I have already. Half of the comments online say you can dial in the 50CL to sound like the 100, half say they’re night and day different. That’s probably what I’d find for any amp that has a 50 and 100 watt model.

3. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

If you really want to get the most out of the “frequencies”, try throwing a decent EQ in the effects loop and try to cut/boost a few frequencies, then see if your OT can handle the boosted lows without woofing out...my old BBE 362 maximizer also works awesome in the loop of MY amps (highly debated) as a presence and low end boost, also boosts volume substantially without “faking up” the tone like newer BBE’s. YMMV but worth trying...TS and 808 boosts into the front end almost always helps to tighten the low end response...some ‘slight’ delay in the loop can add a killer effect for palm mutes and chugs...and everyone overlooks speaker sensitivity- a speaker with a 100+db sensitivity will be alot (ALOT) louder than a speaker with a, say 95db sensitivity...after years I finally figured out why some amps are “quieter” than others. I’ve heard people say “Peaveys are quiet”, but run one through a cab with Eminence Wizards (or another 100+ db speaker) with the proper impedance and the volume increase is crazy. I’m sure you can tweak the 50cl to sound amazing. Don’t be afraid to try different stuff, who knew throwing a boss metal zone pedal into a Mesa Rectifier would make one of the most iconic death metal tones?...

Beheroth likes this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Then buy the 100 or turn up your 50W. Both will give you that punch in the chest at the right volume :lol:.

It's mostly the bedroom guys who are buying the flavour of the week custom builds and latest digital processors or hilariously-priced boutique gear (not saying all that gear is bad, just expensive).

You've literally earned your right to buy what you want when it comes to your hobby. Do as your heart desires.

NateFalcon likes this.
  5. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

The theory is simple: higher wattage allows clearer and more precise reproduction of the lows.
    In practicality, a lot of it is a matter of taste.

I always found the whole discussion overlooks the fact that guitar speakers are a major factor here as well, since they aren't voiced for really low notes.

6. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

From modding and repairing tube amps...

Wattage is only one factor in determining the outcome of an amps responsiveness whether it be "tight" or "loose".

It's more to do with the design of the circuit and and the sum of all its parts working together.

A Peavey Butcher is 100 watts and is loose as a goose, and a modern 15 watt lunchbox amp is tighter than....

Lower a few cathode bypass capacitors and a two coupling caps in a Mesa Recto. amp, give it some NFB, and it will tighten up with the best of them.

7. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Solid state amps are always tight. Just saying.

8. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

A Rocktron Voodoo Valve, (witch doctor), or Chameleon. And Digitech 2101, 1101 etc processors cab be found for pretty cheap, and ran into the effects return of your 50 can get you altogether different tones and are pretty tight, huge and nasty...those I mentioned got onboard EQ’s to dial whatever you need for low end (got a 15 band on my GSP 2101)...and they’re tighter than the bark on a tree if you want. They sound a lot bigger and hi-fi at bedroom volume (sometimes “digital” if not dialed in)...I doubt highly your transformer would poop out once you get your low end where you want it and start cranking the volume no matter what EQ or preamp you use to shape your tone. It’s more of an EQ thing than a “power” thing...