470$ to spend - 1x12 or 2x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by johnniz, Aug 28, 2017.

1. johnniz

johnniz SS.org Regular

Hi.

I am moving into a much smaller apartment and sold my old 4x12 cab.

I`m looking for a smaller but good sounding cab that will be used for "bedroom" playing 90% of the time, and on rare occasions playing small gigs in bars and small venues.

I am torn between a "better" 1x12 cab or a cheaper 2x12 cab. I realize that the 2x12 is not that much smaller than the 4x12 I had, but it is much lighter. I am going to play through a small lunch box amp like the EVH LBX 15w and would really like some thick bottom end. I understand that this will be easier to achieve through a 2x12 cab than the 1x12. However I`ve also noticed that it is a fairly big difference in sound and frequency response between cab models and manufacturers.

With 470$ to spend or 400 euro in my case, would you buy something like an
    Engl E112VB with a single v30 and a fairly good quality cab or something like a Palmer 2x12 with V30s?

I mainly (try) to play stuff like Dream theater, Periphery, Jason Richardson, Monuments...yeah Djent to prog metal basically.

Any thoughts?

2. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Smaller cabs like 1x12 can definitely help control volume levels if that is an issue. Aside from compactness that would be my main reason for getting one.

For a while I owned a 15w Dark Terror and used it with a Mesa Recto 2x12. It was a great sounding set up (but the cab heavy af) and loud enough for rock music with a drummer, etc. After some gear shuffling my guitarist ended up with my DT and used it through a 1x12 with a Wizard and it cut through fine on stage and practice. Genre rock/alternative, not br00ts.

If you want thick bottom end (thicker than V30) I would recommend G12K or Eminence Legend V1216. For a while I loaded a 2x12 with V30+G12K and it was killer, especially at higher volume levels when the V30 starts breaking up.

A quality 2x12 with power behind it should be loud enough for most realistic situations. 1x12 will have its limits.

I owned the ENGL v30 pro cab for a while and thought it was very aggressive but voice with an almost overly tight/"controlable" low end.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I have played through only a couple 1x12 cabs that I found really sound great. I have found many get kind of boxy and sterile sounding. It's typically ( I think) from trying to build a compact cabinet. The ones that sound best to me are usually housed in a cab that's probably big enough for two 12" speakers, or damn close. I'd bet the Engl could do it, but I don't have experience with their small cabs. A 2X12 can give you so much more volume vs a 1x12 when you need it; they typically sound better in direct A/B comparisons when you're in the room with each. You can also utilize stereo effects which makes a huge difference on delays especially. A 2x12 also gives you the opportunity to combine speakers. A V30 is incredible for cutting in a mix with its mid hump, but depending on cab construction, can sound a little harsh at times. If you had something like a GT65, GT75, or GT100 you can get a nice balance in the room and way more dynamic options for mic placement and available tones for recording and live performances.
    TL;DR I vote 2x12

4. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

So I recently sold off both my 2x12's for a Mesa 1x12 and regret nothing. I still run my 2/50/2 and Axe FX through it, sounds pretty damn good to me. I'd see if you could find one in a local music shop to try. One of the better piece of gear I've purchased in a long time.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiniRectCabA

cGoEcYk likes this.
  5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I'd go for the Engl Pro 2X12 with V30s.

6. johnniz

johnniz SS.org Regular

Yeah, I would love to go with the Engl pro 2x12 but that would be closer to 750$ and that would be too expensive I`m afraid. When checking out Thomann.de its seems to me that its either going to be an Engl Pro 1x12 or maybe an Orange 1x12 vs a cheaper Palmer 2x12 with v30`s or maybe something like a Blackstar HTV-212

7. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I love mixing speakers too much to get a 1x12. I would get an Avatar 2x12 or a used Mesa 2x12

8. Brutal S

Brutal S Contributor

For small (bars etc) and medium gigs (mic is needed) a good sounding 1x12 (with wide sound projection) is what I think it's best. I've been using myself a Custom Audio Cube (identical to a Bogner 1x12 cube) for years live and at home. Where more power is needed I obviously bring with me a 4x12, which is more suited (and 99% of the times available as backline).

My suggestion is: 2x12s are really too much for me at home/small apartments while 1x12s can still be used live under certain circumstances. 1x12 + 4x12 is the best combination!

9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I'd go for the Engl 1X12 Pro then.

11. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Varying preferences on here, but personally i would always go for a 2x12, or two 1x12's (my current setup) over just 1 speaker. The sound is much richer to me.

You could always get the more expensive 1x12 now and then grab another one (or a cheaper 1x12 with a good speaker) later so you get the benefits of a quality cab you want now, but the sound benefits of 2 speakers eventually.

Plus, a two 1x12's stack is great for local gigging where you are often crammed onto a stage and stage volume is usually an issue.