444hz tuning ( 528hz)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by willy25, Sep 2, 2017.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

3 pages in, 'n I get no respect, lemme tell ya.

willy25 likes this.
  2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

see the video all the way till the end. All the examples that he shows where he plays the same song in 440Hz vs 432Hz at the end he shows that none of them where that, or they either where flipped, or they were 550Hz vz 420Hz or stuff like that. That was his point, to trick you

3. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Yeah i watched it, it was really interesting. Thanks

4. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Lol the reptilians and world is flat xD if people believe that, dont care. 9/11 inside job? Who knows. 440hz kills you? I dont think so, But some people believe it hurts you unconsciously without knowing, even if you enjoy the song. Example: getting mad at things that dont matter, Having negative thoughts etc..

For me what sounds more natural to me, 444hz
    Second comes 440 and last 432. Ill give a try to 435.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  5. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

...This thread Hertz my brain.

TedEH and marcwormjim like this.
  6. Kwert

Kwert SS.org Regular

Since some time in the 1900s, at least in North American orchestras, A=440hz was your standard tuning reference pitch. Many still use this, but it's been creeping higher and higher. 441, and 442 are pretty standard (442 is standard throughout all of Quebec) in most places. In Germany/Austria it's not uncommon to hear anywhere between A=444hz and 446hz. This is pretty absurd to me, especially for stringed instruments. I find my cello starts to feel choked at anything above 442, and it feels amazing at A=415 (though you won't find this tuning much outside of a Baroque ensemble...)

7. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Well, at some point you're not even in A anymore. If A is set at 440Hz, Ab is 415.305Hz. I mean, you could still call it A, but it's the same as Ab to anyone else.

8. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

yes, let's change the completely arbitrary way we tune our instruments to something equally arbitrary and pretend it makes us feel better

if i could find a way to package this, i'd sell it

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Call it Djenticles. Maybe it can be a sustainer type pickup, or something.

10. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Everyone's ears are slightly physically different, therefore it's entirely plausible that individuals will find certain specific reference pitches more or less pleasant.

No mystic explanation required.

willy25 likes this.
  11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

How is this off topic though? Shouldn't this thread be under the general music section?

12. marcwormjim

A cogent one would be a luxury, around here.

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I've been tuning the octave into 19 notes for years now, and I can honestly tell you that no one gives a shit how you tune your guitar until you make some really interesting music.

There was a conspiracy to tune to 440 Hz, but it had nothing to do with nefarious plots or Illuminati, so just stop. It was just to make life simple for musicians who traveled on tour to different nations and didn't want to have to buy a new tuning fork for each country.

14. marcwormjim

"Tuning" fork - or Lance of Longinus?

#loosechange
    #DanBrown

15. bostjan

What if you were blindfolded and a tone was played for you - either 440 Hz, 444 Hz, 448 Hz, 452 Hz, or 436 Hz? Do you think you could tell me which one it was? If not, then I think the entire basis of the story that one is so much better than the others falls apart at its foundation. Can we get James Randy on this topic?

16. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Good point!

17. willy25

willy25 SS.org Regular

Ear trained? The ones that know how to identify notes, chords etc.. By ear, will know which one is 440hz. They wont know which is 444hz 432 etc..

18. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

After trying to read up a little on the frequency debate: I have gathered that going from 440hz to 444hz is roughly 16 cents (100 cents is a semitone) higher than standard. With the way guitars are tuned, however, it is very difficult to achieve and keep any frequency in tune. Even if you perfectly tune your A string to 444hz, fretting an A note from your E string will not be 444hz, it will be sharp. James Taylor utilizes an alternative tuning to help fretted chords stay in tune better.

Utilizing certain frequencies for resonance patterns will certainly create different patterns, some more intricate than others; but it would be incredibly difficult to recreate consistently with a stringed instrument. If you're jamming alone or your band wants to tune together then it would work just fine.

If there really was a conspiracy with tuning to a dissonant frequency, it would most likely effect pop style genres with electronic music, so just turn off your radio. I'd bet people are more damaged by worrying about North Korea, terrorism, and other shit regurgitated on the news, than listening to Katy Perry.

willy25 likes this.
  19. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Threads on 432hz used to be closed on sight because they ultimately contribute nothing of value, that this one is still open is a wonder, maybe the new number saved it.

A syntonic Comma (81:80 or ~21.51 cents) is the smallest difference in pitch that an untrained listener can recognize. The difference between A=440 and A=444 is ~16 cents, which is well below the aforementioned threshold. By comparison the difference between 440 and 432 is ~32 cents, above the threshold and thus audible to the untrained ear. As it happens I have a guitar which is fretted for ~36 cent note intervals (normal guitars are 100 cent intervals) and if I chose to I could play all of my music in close-but-imperceptably-off approximation of 432 hz without retuning from 440 by merely shifting my finger down one fret and could play well above 444 by moving my finger up a single fret. I also have a fretless guitar, which should allow me to determine the ideal reference pitch for my ears down to the n-th decimal point, yet here I am still using 440, or 439 if I accidentally press the wrong button on my tuner.

(Why can I change my reference pitch through an accidental button press on a commercially available tuner if there is such a grand conspiracy for 440?)
    The idea that 440hz is unnatural is utterly laughable, it's a frequency. Is 440.01 hz natural? 440.02 hz? 439.99998?

There is a rabbit hole that can be fallen down, and the whole debate seems akin to two people looking at color hex codes and trying to claim that #0000FE blue is more "natural" than #0000FF blue. It's utterly pointless and crosses the boundary into being downright idiotic without ever needing to bring conspiracy theories about the Third Reich in to play.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  20. bostjan

16 cents is pretty big, in terms of tuning stability.

I kind of like the idea of tuning such that some of my notes are harmonic overtones of 60 Hz hum. I can take A down to 420 Hz...or you can take A up to 444.97 Hz and achieve the same with Ab. So, I've actually done this before, although I was 0.97 Hz sharp on A.

34-EDO?

I'd say that in a chord, even a casual listener can differentiate intervals 5 or 6 cents different, pretty universally, but if you tune everything up an arbitrary number of cents, I really don't think people would notice. Hell, in my cover bands, we would often transpose songs up or down a half step, and sometimes a whole step, and people wouldn't know the difference unless they were not drunk enough AND trying to sing along. :lol:

The idea of an ideal reference pitch does have some merit when it comes to vocal performances, but has nothing to do with guitar. There is not a single double-blind test on Earth that can determine a universally idea reference pitch, period.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017