37-29 5 String Fan?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by jvms, Feb 26, 2018.

1. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

I've been having problems with my 34 scale 5 string bass for a while now. I just can't seem to get a decent tone out of the low B string. I've been meaning to get a fanned fret so I can get the low B really tight, and the only one I found was a 37-29 scale 5 string bass. I have no way to test it, as the seller lives way too far from me. Will the 29 be enough for the G string? What string gauge should I use? Just FYI, I plan to use it on standard, Drop D and Drop A tunnings.

Thanks for the attention.

2. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

37-29 inches? An 8 inch fan seems rather extreme for a 5 string - usually it's 3 inches or less. I'd be worried about how playable that would be. Is it a custom?

You could totally get a good sounding G string at 29". I've played 30" scale basses that sounded fine. The issue I'd worry about is evenness from string to string. Given you have a full 2 inch difference in scale length from string to string, you might want to calculate the gauges for each string based on your tension preference, then order a custom set. You can probably find a string tension calculator with a quick google search.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of bass do you use currently and what type of strings have you tried? In my experience, the string itself is usually the single largest variable in getting a good low B.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

What the hell bass is that?! That’s an insane design. I’d love that for tuning in 5ths or something that would make use of the crazy fan.

Masoo2, ThePhilosopher and EverDream like this.
  4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I'd be very worried about playability too - though at least barre chords, sweep arpeggios, and palm muting (the things that could generally become an issue on a an extreme fan) are generally out of the picture on bass. But yeah, that's very crazy - and I have a pretty high tolerance for big fans. But damn, what!? Haha
    But totally, don't worry about the 29" G string, if anything it's a plus being that short on top. The bigger the fan, the smaller range of gauges you can use, and the more uniform the tone.

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

We demand pics :D

Also seconding Spatulas question about your low B. Try a D'addario 145 gauge on your current bass, 34" is fine for B (as much as I love longer scales) - just most sets with a 125 or 130 are too loose on the low end.

EverDream likes this.
  6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I think the seller told you the wrong specs.

ask for brand and model and do your search first, send us the link. I do not think theres any bass build with that crazy fan. 37-29" multiscale would not work, the angles would be way too extreme to be comfortably playable, , unless its a crazy custom, which no respectable luthier would build an un-playable instrument, so I wont trust the build either.

forget it and lets search for a better fit for you.

What bass you curently have. I have a 34" and a 33" bass and I ahve played countless 34" basses, non of them the B sounded bad.

a 35" bass could help you if you want, or a .135 string for a bit extra tension without having a bridge cable as string. But if you playing in drop A then you might want a big string that at the very least have the same tension as a .130 string at B. Go check an online tension calculator and crunch some numbers.

also what amp you are using?, maybe your amp its too small/cant handle the low.... donno

EverDream likes this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm quite certain that a 29-37" bass either doesn't exist, or else if it does, whoever made it doesn't care about playability. That means that the seller probably made a typo or else has no idea what he has in his hands.

EverDream likes this.
  8. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Right, well, that looks like it's likely 32-34" to me. You could contact the builder and ask. I'll PM you the email address.

EverDream likes this.
  10. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot, but I already e-mailed him friday and he hasn't replied. I'll try giving him a call tomorrow night.

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Am I the only one disappointed? I really wanted to see an 8" fan 5 string bass. The fretwire alone would have cost a fortune. :lol:

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I'm right there with you. My brain was having all sorts of fun trying to figure out what it would look like with the neutral fret in all sorts of places. The bridge? Ha! then all 8" of the fan would be at the nut. At the nut? What kind of weird body shape would you need to not look stupid and fit the 8" of bridge angle, and you'd probably need to use pickups for a 10-string bass for this 5-string bass just for it to be able to reach all 5 string when installed in that wonky of an angle.

EverDream and Hollowway like this.
  13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

quick 30 second goolge of the brand Kian Guitars, show me a small luthier in Brasil (place of the add), with a barely existing website with 0 info and no show of a Jazz model, and 0 talk about specs. Quick search in his instagram shows one photo of that bass from 2016 with 0 talk about specs and another similar jazz bass with again 0 talk about it, just "fanned frets"

if you want info, I recomend you to call/email the builder, he wouuld know the real specs of it

Hollowway likes this.