30w Tube Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by GamesJibson, Mar 30, 2015.

1. GamesJibson

GamesJibson GamesJibson

I've been looking to downsize from my Blackstar Series 1 (50) for various reasons and I'm currently looking at lower wattage amps and was wondering if I could get some further insight and different opinions from a few of you?

Lately I've been eyeing up the following:
    - Orange OR15
    - Hayden MoFo 30
    - Orange TH30

I've tested them all and they're all pretty sick, the Hayden standing out to me the most surprisingly. HOWEVER - it is only a single channel head as is the OR15. With the TH30, I'm not keen on the whole "Shape" function for the OD channel EQ.

I know it's all about my preference when it comes to buying an amp but I always like a second opinion from outside sources from people who have either owned or played one also. If you guys could, would you mind sharing your opinion? And also, if you have any other ideas for amp heads in the 15w - 30w range you think I might be interested in looking at please shout up! My local guitar & amp centre has loads of amps in but pretty much only stock 3 companies which sucks.

The sort of stuff I'm playing now is similar to Heart of a Coward so I'm going for a similar tone, obviously with my own tweaks here and there.

Cheers in advance!

2. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Wasn't keen on the shape knob on the Dark Terror before I bought it, but it is quite versatile, but you can always throw an EQ prdal out front or in the loop of you need more scripting ability.

Another head in that range is the tubemeister 36, add in a light fuzz if you want a tone more in line with an Orange.

3. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Joe Haley is currently touring with the tubemeister 36 with Psycrotic. He had a killer tone the other week I saw them and I think he only had an OD in front of it, straight into a black star 4X12 cab.

All depends on your needs, good luck with it.