<$300 keyboard amp or PA for synths

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by narad, Dec 8, 2018 at 6:27 PM.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I asked this question a while ago and basically shifted me from keyboard amps to using monitors, and I used the nice monitors I have at my computer for the past year. However, now I've moved, there's no space near the monitors for that, and I was always a bit annoyed that I had the synths perpendicular to the computer desk, so the sound was always coming in on one side of me. So that particular setup is a no-go now.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm just looking for an in-the-room sound, not loud, for simultaneously playing a few synths. Ideally something that could sit on the floor in front of me? Maybe looking at Roland keyboard amps, but a bit pricier than I'd like given I don't really need 40W+ volumes.

btw, really dig the Sequenz series synth stands - *very* high quality:

[​IMG]

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Find a used JBL or Mackie powered PA speaker, preferably with built in mixer and pre. Nothing fancy.

I've never been enamored with any of the keyboard amps I've tried. They always seemed over priced for what they were, powered PA speakers.

3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ah, going to be tough to find any quality used gear of that kind out here I think.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I was just throwing those brands out there. Really, since you don't really need it to be loud or rugged, you can go fairly cheap. I know Behringer makes some suitable stuff. I know it's cheap, but they at least have the courtesy of shamelessly ripping off decent designs usually. :lol:

You could always grab a cheap 4 channel mixer and combine it with whatever powered speaker you find.

I have no idea what's out there in your neck of the woods, I just know stuff like that is a dime a dozen here.

I suppose if it's going to be a pain to piece something together you'd probably be better off with your original plan, grabbing a keyboard amp. I know Peavey makes some decent ones.

narad likes this.
  5. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

a cheap set of monitors? a small 4" ones?

seen a few cheap lately as I as looking something for my small staff room Im living atm.

and like Max said, with a cheap 4 channel mixer so you can balance your keyboards, and external music if you want to play with a track from your computer/recording/phone. that way the backing track its also at the front of you like the keys

maybe you might even be able to fit them on the rack? like if you move your top keyboard a bit more in the center

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

In the lead so far:

[​IMG]

Like $150, and then, yea, maybe start on a eurorack and get a mixer as my first module.

A-Branger likes this.