3-way switch: bridge/OFF/neck

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by slimegod, Jun 24, 2007.

1. slimegod

slimegod SS.org Regular

Hi,

I'd like to wire a Fender 3-way blade switch such that the three positions are bridge only, OFF, neck only. Can anyone advise me on how to wire this?

The wiring diagrams I've seen are all bridge/bridge and neck/neck--I want the middle position to be off.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure someone's done this before.

2. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

i have my guitar set up like that but its using emgs, im not sure if the same wireing would work

3. slimegod

slimegod SS.org Regular

Dude! I'll be using EMGs too. 81-7 and 707. Share the wisdom!

4. 7 Strings of Hate

cool, i'l throw a diagram on later today, good choice too :)

5. slimegod

slimegod SS.org Regular

Right on, thanks. So do you have the same pickup combination? I initially had a 707 in the bridge. It sounded good, but I went for the 81-7 just because the 81 is a pretty brutal pickup. I've seen some complain that the 81-7 is all high end and lacks lows. If you've tried it, did you find this to be the case?

6. 7 Strings of Hate

well, i'v been using emgs for 9 years now so i'm kinda biased i guess, but yea, i have an 81 in the bridge and a 707 in the neck, the 81 is just the upitomy of what i look for in a pup, the highs are screeching and harmonics are easily attained and the lows are killer imo, i'm sure its not the fattest bottom end pup you can get, but i cant get the right crunch on the low b and e like i can with the 81, even the 707 dont cut it for me in the bridge postion, and if you feel that you lack the fattness at times with the 81, thats where the 707 shines, its such a killer full sound, espically for cleans, and you get that killer fluid sound on fast solo runs, similar to a john petrucci style sound on his solo runs. on your 3 way switch, are the contacts 2 rows of 4, or 8 straight in a line, i had a little trouble figureing mine out cuz the diagram showed one way and my switch was the other way and i had to figure out which contact was which (ofcourse no one labels shit these days) :)

7. slimegod

slimegod SS.org Regular

Man, I don't have it with me...but I'm almost positive it's two rows of four. It's a Fender switch that Guitar Center carries. Not sure if I can post a link, but here it is:
    Search Results - GuitarCenter.com

The direct link to the item doesn't work, but on this page it's the 4th one in the top row. Looks like 2 rows of 4.

Thanks for the EMG comments. Hopefully it'll work out.

8. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

No help to you, but if you want to do this with a gibson-style switch, un-solder the middle 2 tabs which are solderd together and move them apart. This should work if I'm thinking correctly, never tried it though.

9. Bartok

Bartok SS.org Regular

Neck pickup to neck position, bridge pickup to bridge position, centre position (all the solder tags) to ground (join the tags together, then one wire down to ground rather than separate runs- don't want any ground loops).

10. slimegod

slimegod SS.org Regular

Cool thanks, I'm all set. Now to actually play the thing...

11. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

i'm interested in trying this with passives because i'm gonna be taking the Dactivator out of my S7 (to be replaced with a Nailbomb!) and putting it in my 7421. since the neck will still be stock, this is how i want to wire it since i'm thinking the difference in outputs will be too drastic

12. slimegod

slimegod SS.org Regular

Well, I don't know just how hot the Nailbomb is...but in my UV I've always had a Blaze neck, and in the bridge I've had the Blaze bridge, an X2N-7, and an M-7. All pretty high output pickups (especially the last two), and I never found that there was an "off-balance" effect due to the differences in output. It always worked for me.

Of course, now I'm in EMG land.

13. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

sorry for the confusion, my future Nailbomb is teaming up in the S7 with a Dactivator neck that's already installed. that's no prob. that'll be wired up the same way. the 3 way idea was for the Dactivator bridge that's going from the S7 to the 7421 because that'll still be the stock neck. but if you think even that won't be a big deal, then i'll just wire it up to the 5 way.

14. slimegod

slimegod SS.org Regular

Either way you should be good. I wouldn't give up the possible combinations unless you really have no use for them.