2x12 too many...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MikeHONCHO, Feb 17, 2012.

1. MikeHONCHO

MikeHONCHO SS.org Regular

Hey Guys!
    I have been searching for a new 2x12 for quite some time now and have yet to find the best option. I need something with tight bass response and clarity, with a huge sound. At this point I plan on going with an Avatar contemp. I like v30s(but Ive never been able to play eminence) and it comes with a good reputation for a great price. BUT...haha it is tax season so I do have my eyes on something Orange. My problem is I cant justify getting the Orange over the Avatar. The cab has to be closed back and the closed back orange is $300 more than the Avatar. Vader is in my price range and looks great but like I said I know nothing of Eminence. I have not had the chance to play any of these cabs but I have played a Mesa 4x12 and it was a :eek:

My question to you gear wizards is it worth the cash to go with the Orange or should I get the Avatar? Other cab suggestions welcome.
    :bowdown: bless me with insight.

2. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

What's your budget? I'd say 2x12 Mesa Stiletto

3. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12". Loud.

4. DMONSTER

DMONSTER SS.org Dweller

Avatar contemporary 2x12, i love the shit out of mine

5. Double A

Double A Subhuman

Our other guitarist just got his new Avatar contemporary 2x12 yesterday with the hellatones. Sounded really, really good with his engl 530. I myself bought a Genz-benz g-flex 2x12 which I absolutely love, but now I would not hesitate to buy an Avatar.

Personally, I love my G-flex because it is so loud and can take as much low end as you throw at it because of the ports but it somehow remains tight as shit, but I don't think you could go wrong with an Avatar.

6. MikeHONCHO

Im looking to spend about $600.

And sorry Im all about function over form but the Gflx is ugly as sin

7. petereanima

petereanima Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

Which amp do you play?

8. Vostre Roy

Really bad idea. You reminds me from my friend, that didn't wanted to buy and Orange cab because "it was orange, ugly...". :squint:

He bought it and never regretted it since. Never judge a cab by his look, thats the worst thing you can do.

9. MikeHONCHO

Crate Flexwave. Had this bad boy for 5 years strong and doesnt sound half bad. My cab budget is $600 cause Im upgrading heads as well. Just trying to move other gear so that can happen haha

I have heard really good things about this cab but I just dont like metal grills. Same as the texas dragon, heard really good things but dislike the look. I prefer a much cleaner look.

10. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

definitely go avatar

11. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Said it in a few other threads, but try to find a used Bogner OS 212 cab. They sound wonderful and used shouldn't run you more than $525-600. :yesway: I have one currently and I'm going to be adding a 2nd one if I can! :hbang:

12. Double A

Double A Subhuman

Your loss.

13. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

GFlex is not the greatest-sounding cab out there. I'm a bigger fan of the Mesa Recto and Stiletto 2x12s. I also really like the Recto vertical 2x12.

14. Vostre Roy

Indeed, its a choice amongs many. But disregardin a cab because of the way it looks isn't the good way to go IMO... A cab ain't made to look cool, its made to sound cool

15. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Mesa Stiletto is in that price range as I mentioned before.

16. Double A

Double A Subhuman

That depends on your ears. :) The g-flex line also responds to some amps much better than others. For instance, my 6505+ sounds immense and crystal clear and punishing. But I have read elsewhere that the g-flex really doesn't get along well with Mesas. So, it is one of those cabinets you have to try.

It is easily the loudest 2x12 I have heard. Though I have not heard that Bogner that High Gain was talking about.

17. MikeHONCHO

No way man, if I was going to get a ported cab id go straight for a port city 2x12 and I only stay an hour outside of Wilmington but its pricey. Im not judging based off looks alone I just want it to be physically appealing especially when paying that much. Thanks for all the suggestions! Still leaning towards the avatar though....does anyone besides mesa make a nice vertical 2x12?

18. MikeHONCHO

Really looking into this, I thought they were more.

19. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Between Avatar and Orange, I'd say Avatar hands down. I own one, my dad owns one, and I have a friend with one. They're all rock solid and pretty much identical to the Oranges. Even if they were the same price I'd probably go Avatar because you get more options and I'd wanna support the guys that work there, they're really helpful and super nice :yesway:

I also owned a G-Flex 2x12 and while I really liked it, it seemed a little too hi-fi for me (but some different speakers could probably fix that). Had great bass response though. It was awesome, just different, and I like the Avatar because it's a bit warmer and feels a little more natural. I never got the chance to really A/B them, and if I could find another G-Flex at a good price I'd definitely try it again. But so far in my life, Avatar Contemporaries have been my favourite.

20. JMP2203

JMP2203 SS.org Regular

texas dragon with the speaker of your choice

thank me later