2x12 speakers for my Kemper? - Neutral or Normal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by lewis, Sep 29, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Hey everyone. So sometime within the next 2 months, I will be buying a Poweramp to pair with my Kemper and run it into my Laney 2x12. At the moment, the cab has its stock Laney IRT speakers.

But Im wanting to upgrade the speakers at some point but the question is do I get completely neutral sounding speakers to help make all the different profiles shine (similar to how FRFR cabs are supposed to work right?)
    Or do I go normal speakers with their own style/flavour and not worry about it?.

I was thinking about either doing the V30 + K100 blend or the V30 + Creamback blend.
    (possibly leaning towards the latter)

But it got me thinking if neutral would be the way to go?.

Any thoughts?.

2. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

I'd do normal speakers since the Cab construction itself will be already coloring the tone anyways.

lewis likes this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

You would also need a tweeter if you were going for frfr. If you put PA woofers into a guitar cab you'd probably end up in some weird place between the two, where nothing sounds great.

lewis and takotakumi like this.
  4. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

I'd go the normal speaker route myself.

I was in a similar situation earlier this year. I needed a 2x12 cab and couldn't decide which way to go. At first I wanted to go the K100 route, but after buying into some of the hype I pre-ordered the Peavey Invective (v30/creamback) from Sweetwater. Figured I could exchange if I didnt like it. I ended up keeping the Invective, it sounds amazing with my Kemper.

Not sure what style of music you play but I play mostly stuff in the vein of black dahlia murder, faceless, etc... and I have no complaints with that combo.

Deadpool_25 and lewis like this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Great to know man thx.
    Think i will do the v30 and creamback combo.
    Thanks guys

6. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

If you are getting a power amp, definitely go with regular guitar speakers. Turn your Kemper cab sim stuff off when running through the power amp and cab, and you should be good to go.

lewis likes this.
  7. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

If your willing to drop some cash you could try a pair of evm12l.

8. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Standard guitar speakers sound great using the Monitor Out from the Kemper.
    I have thought about buying some coaxial 12” speakers with tweeters and installing them into an old 412 cab just to try it; but ultimately 90+% of our shows use a PA that I can go FOH so the cab on stage would become rather redundant.
    The other idea I’ve contemplated is to pick up a pair of DXR10’s and mirror them into a 412 cabinet using birch ply to recreate their stock enclosures; but while it would make a fun project, it seems semi pointless because standard guitar cabs sound great already lol.

lewis likes this.