2x12 cabinets: vertical vs. horizontal: any difference in tone?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TedintheShed, Aug 10, 2018.

1. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

I managed to trade off my Ironball and picked up an Archon. I played it through an Orange 2x12 horizontal cabinet and it just sounded massive.

For space sake, I'd like to get a 2x12 verical cabinet. I'm wondering if I do will there be a noticable difference because of the orientation?

Thanks,
    Ted

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Vertical should have better dispersion in the room because of its orientation (like a PA line array). But for the miked tone it should be the same, all things being equal (size and speakers)

TedintheShed likes this.
  3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Get the Orange and set it on its side :idea:

Discoqueen likes this.
  4. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

I set my Orange on its side.

5. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

Yeah guys, I understand I can do that. Doing that still changes the orientation.

Thsnks though ..

6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Well a normal 212 is aimed at your feet.

Beheroth likes this.
  7. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I run my 2x12s on their side for better spread/less beaming/being able to fit more stuff in my studio, but of course this means you can't always stack your head on top.

8. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

The Orange heads I use are short and fit well on top of the 2x12 vertically, but most heads would not.

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

The best sounding vertical 212’s are probably nearly as wide as a horizontal cab, so saving space will be minimal. Depending on your uses, either option would likely work just fine.

The vertical cabs are nice for playing live, as you don’t have to bend down as low, and the top speaker is typically aimed up towards your upper body. For home jamming etc, there is no distinct advantage of one over the other; but I think I prefer the tone of a hori for solo jamming.

I might dial in a tone where actual sound could be brittle and bright at the speaker, but since “that” sound is at my knees, by the time it hits my ears, it sounds awesome. The same amp settings through a vert/slant cab: all those frequencies are now grating my ears. I like to know this, for live situations, so I can dial a great tone “at the cone” for micing and all the people up front won’t get high frequency blasted. But if it’s just me at home I like to go into a hori most times.

10. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

I can't remember, but I think the 212on it's side was easier to hear in a mix. Someone else suggested it, and this is what I did, but get the horizontal and play it on it's side lol. It is cheaper and has the same effect.

11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There will be a difference, but it's not going to be a big enough difference that you won't like the setup 99% of the time, especially if you're just playing in your room/practice space/studio.

TedintheShed likes this.
  12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Gonna get a little more low end horizontally, which can be good or bad depending on what you're setting it on. Mic'ed sound isn't gonna matter a whole lot.

TedintheShed likes this.
  13. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

My Emperor 2x12 is based on an Orange cab... horizontal but kind of oversized with the speakers a little off axis. No complaints, love this type of design. I have run it either way, vertical projects just a little more if you are standing near it or want to hear detailed highs over cymbals, etc. My amp sounds best kind of loud, once loud orientation doesnt matter as much.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 11:16 AM
  14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Oversize 212s seem to be 80% of the size of 412's to me. No idea if Im actually correct though :lol:

15. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

My vertical 2x12 is almost the same size of the smallest 4x12s. It can fit a 27" head on top without overhang. But it is much lighter by about 40lbs. I for one prefer vertical 2x12s since they disperse the sound more efficiently. And you can hear yourself quite a bit more.

But if you get a wide 30" head like an EVH, Marshall, or Satan in the future, the "T" stack looks a bit ugly. The Archon should be alright I guess. The widest one is the Mojotone vertical cabs at 25-26 inches wide. The Mesa vertical is at 23" but it weighs like a 4x12 at 80lbs.