2DS vs 3DS

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Jun 20, 2016.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

So I've really been thinking about getting a DS of some sort. I had an original DS in sixth grade that I loved but I never got into the 3DS. Now I'm seeing 2DS's go for dirt cheap on my craigslist and online, and it looks like the only difference is the 2DS has a sh!tty mono speaker compared to stereo, and some people think its ugly :lol:

I don't care about 3D at all, I really just want to play Pokemon and Zelda and Metroid. My girlfriends nephew (he's 7) wants me to get one to play Pokemon with him and it brought back memories of me being a kid.

So because of how much cheaper the 2DS is, should I just go with that? I really don't care about the sound quality since I'd be using headphones most of the time, nor do I care about 3D.

2. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Go for it. Me and the wife have one, as well as a 3DS, and honestly, the 2DS is more comfortable to hold. It looks a little less nice, but its no biggie considering it functions just fine.

3. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Personally I'd just buy a 3DS and switch the 3D effect off but that's because I prefer the clamshell design of the 3DS to the vaguely toylike look of the 2DS.

Whatever you choose though you're in for a treat I picked up a 3DSXL a few months back and the download service is incredible it's great to play SuperMarioland again but having all the Metroid games and most of the Castlevania series is my gaming heaven.
    In a way I prefer the 3DS to the bigboy consoles as there's games such as Monster Hunter or Dementium that are as good as anything on them but there's also a lot of games that are modern takes on the platforming stuff I grew up with so I feel like it's the best of both retro and modern worlds.

4. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Got my daughter a 2DS and she's loved it, for Pokemon and Smash Brothers. The 3d is gimmick to me anyways and some ear buds will fix the mono speaker issue.

5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

the 3D on 3DS hurts my head, but the shape of the 2DS hurts my heart

Just get a used 3DS and play without the 3D effect. It's a way better design than the 2DS.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I happen to like the 3D, but, aside from that, the clamshell design of the DS and 3DS are superior, IMO, to the design of the 2DS. But, if you like the design of the 2DS better, you should go that route.

7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I have been thinking about this as well.

Right now I'm using an emulator on my phone to get my Pokemon fix (I'm 28 :lol: )

8. QuantumCybin

Whelp, I went ahead and got an electric blue 2DS at Gamestop with Mario Kart 7 for 80 bucks. Not a bad price. It's definitely a LOT more comfortable than the old DS I had as a kid. I had a first gen DS though, so anything would be better :lol:

Downloading Mario Kart as I type this. I'm excited!!

EDIT: Picked up Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for 20 bucks on sale; never played any of these before but it's pretty cool so far. Really in depth, which I like.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Cool!

I guess I never thought of the DS as uncomfortable, but I grew up with Tiger electronic games, Game & Watch, and eventually GameBoy and GameGear, none of which were comfortable in comparison to modern devices.

How does the 2DS screen look in direct sunlight?

10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

You're going to have trouble with MH4, Smash Bros, Majora's Mask, Hyrule Warriors, Bravely Second, ORAS and Sun and Moon if you try to play those on 2DS or 3DS. All of those games just about run on 2/3DS but are really meant to be played on New 3DS. Also, you won't be able to play Xenoblade Chronicles, at all.

11. QuantumCybin

Haven't taken the thing out in direct sunlight yet so I can't speak for that, but MH4 is running fine, I haven't experienced any slowdowns or frame rate stuttering.

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Fair enough, the first three in the list should just be fine in game, just long loading times. Others could have in game performance issues. Hyrue Warriors for example loads way fewer enemies on 2/3DS than New 3DS.

13. QuantumCybin

Really getting into monster hunter, it's weirdly addicting. Excited to pick up super smash and Pokemon soon. By the way, the 2DS looks fine in direct sunlight as long as the screen brightness is all the way up!

14. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Can you play games classified for 3DS on a 2DS? I took my niece to Toys R Us the other day and the 2DS was a fraction of the price. If it can play almost all of the same games it'd be worth the investment I think. It was only like $40 more expensive than the DS I bought her less than a year ago, but she can't play any of the newer games on it.

15. ferret

ferret Not worthy

Yeah. I originally bought a 2DS for my daughter cause I expected it to get broken.. :) She plays Pokemon and Super Smash Bros. It's just a cheaper version with no 3D in the end.

16. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

The 2DS is a great value and you lose nothing really from a lack of 3D. I almost never have it on for anything other than cutscenes and for less than 2 minutes at a time. If the clamshell design and the stereo speakers are important to you, go with the 3DS. If you can live without those features, the 2DS is a no brainer!

17. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

It's especially a better value since they stopped selling the non-XL 3DS apparently. The 2DS is $60-$80 and the 3DS XL is ~$200. It's more than double the cost. I didn't actually realize how cheap it was either. I sort of wish I bought the 2DS instead of the DS last year for her. :lol: All well...

18. QuantumCybin

If anyone wants to add me to their friends list, my FC is 3626-2537-9319. Once I pick up Smash, things are gonna get real :lol: