27-25.5 multi scale - gauges for Drop G# (that cover a Low F too)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by lewis, Dec 7, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok so recently acquired a baritone fan fret 6er.

My band use Drop G# open
    (G#, D#, G#, C#, G#, C#)
    with the odd low G# tuned down to an F

so Im thinking like a 12-70 type set (I do like slinky strings/tones) or something?.
    Anyone have experiences or suggestions?

Ive been using the Ernie Ball baritone set for the same tuning on my old 25.5 scale and it works great but that 72 will surely be too tight in g# at 27inch?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic Gas/ERG hoarder

A 70 should be fine for G# on a 27" scale. That's what I have on my prs mushok

lewis likes this.
  3. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Ok for the low G#, here's what I think:

72 on 25.5" = 68 on 27" for same tension, however as scale length increases, so does the floppiness (due to the string having more length to have to suspend across from bridge to nut), so even though the tension is the same (as far as pulling force goes), the string will feel floppier on the 27" at 68 than the 25.5" at 72. However, I don't think the floppiness goes up by the same amount that the tension goes up (if it did, it would mean the 72 would have the same perceived feel on both scale lengths), so, at 27", I think 68 would have the same tension, but feel a little floppier than the 72 would at 25.5", and the 72 at 27" would have more tension and feel a little tighter than it would at 25.5".

So, I think a 70 at 27" would feel the same (not floppier, and not tighter), but have a little more tension than the 72 would at 25.5". So if you want to maintain the same feeling (although a little more tension) of the 72 at 25.5" then the 70 would be the one at 27". If you wanted the tension to be the same though (although feel a little floppier), then that would be the 68. Using the 72 on 27" would have more tension and feel a little tighter as well, so if you're not looking for that then don't get the Ernie Ball baritone set with the 72.

CONCLUSION:

at 27" choose for the low G#...

68 if you want the same tension as the 72 on your old 25.5 scale had
    70 if you want the same feel as the 72 on your old 25.5 scale had
    72 WOULD feel a little tighter (although I don't know if it'd feel TOO tight, just tighter) on the 27 than it did on your old 25.5 scale

So if you want to be like Goldilocks then I guess you'd choose the 70, lol. Hope this helps! :wavey:

crankyrayhanky and lewis like this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thank you both. I will get the same set but also buy a single 70 too and try it and see what i prefer between 72 and 70 on bottom.

EverDream likes this.
  5. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Eh... I'd say a 70 is way too heavy, actually. I have a 70 on my JS32-7 and it's tuned to Drop G Natural with plenty of tension. Shorter scale might change that though.

Oh sorry, did I say shorter scale? Forgot that guitar had a longer scale. Dang. Then yea, I'd say it's too heavy. He might need a lighter gauge unless he intends to keep it at the low F.

WintermintP

lewis likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I havent gotten around to buying a set yet.
    I was going to try the 11-70 Zak set but I might add a separate 68 gauge to that too incase the 70 IS too tight for the bottom. (95% of the time I use G# not F so)

7. WintermintP

But then if you are going to use it as an F then you would need a 70. I also did hear from a tech that a 70 can also be in A just fine... maybe the 70 was the way to go afterall?

WintermintP

8. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

This post reeks of bullshit.

If you match the tension you’ll retain the feel. The “floppiness” isn’t going to go up with a greater scale length if the tension is the same.

9. WintermintP

I see your point although I don't agree with the language, because "floppiness" and "tension" virtually mean the same thing...

I would have to say that as the scale length increases the actual tension of the strings rather than make them floppier. I know this for a fact because I have played with 10-gauge strings before, and I noticed that the string felt even tighter when I was playing a 10 on my 26.5" 7-string guitar (10-52 pack + single 70), and everything was tuned a whole tone down and the bottom was actually a G (although it's still like this today).

Again, though, that kind of language was just uncalled for.

@lewis I really did a lot of thinking for a while. I think it would be best to go for the 70 as your bottom string. The reason being, one of the first posts I made here was a question asking for a new set of gauges for my 7-string guitar so that I can start playing in Drop G tuning. They suggested that I get a 10-52 with a single 68 on the bottom. The store I had to go to for my single string didn't have a 68 so I got myself a 70, and to my surprise, as it turns out, I actually needed the heavier 70 due to my aggressive playing, and everyone has been telling me that a 70 should be capable of being in A just fine, and since it can be in A just fine, it should be able to handle G# just fine, or those are my thoughts.

I hope this helped!

WintermintP

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Ok, sorry. Delightful cupcaked treasure troll poop.

Better? :lol:

stevexc likes this.
  11. WintermintP

By that I meant that I can kind of see where the other guy was coming from so I wouldn't call it bullshit per se, but you're right, longer scale means more tension so it's the polar opposite of his conclusion.

WintermintP

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

update:
    Got the 11-70 Zakk set on at the moment and despite me liking slinky strings and a slightly looser tension, these are TOOOOO loose haha.

Im going to try the Ernie Ball Baritone set at this tuning and see if that makes a difference. The 70 is ok but everything else, especially the highest 3 strings with the Zakk set, are so loose they dont intonate properly.

13. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Why don’t you try the Diadarrio XL 12-54 plus 70 if 11 is too loose? I mean drop G# is really only a semitone below standard plus the dropped low string, so having 11-49,11-52,or 11-56 (for Eb standard 6 stings) should have plenty of tension across the fan, and then you’d just need to decide how much time you plan to play with the low F string to decide if 70 is good or if it needs to gauge up a little.