27-25.5 multi scale - gauges for Drop G# (that cover a Low F too)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by lewis, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:02 AM.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok so recently acquired a baritone fan fret 6er.

My band use Drop G# open
    (G#, D#, G#, C#, G#, C#)
    with the odd low G# tuned down to an F

so Im thinking like a 12-70 type set (I do like slinky strings/tones) or something?.
    Anyone have experiences or suggestions?

Ive been using the Ernie Ball baritone set for the same tuning on my old 25.5 scale and it works great but that 72 will surely be too tight in g# at 27inch?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

A 70 should be fine for G# on a 27" scale. That's what I have on my prs mushok

lewis likes this.
  3. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Ok for the low G#, here's what I think:

72 on 25.5" = 68 on 27" for same tension, however as scale length increases, so does the floppiness (due to the string having more length to have to suspend across from bridge to nut), so even though the tension is the same (as far as pulling force goes), the string will feel floppier on the 27" at 68 than the 25.5" at 72. However, I don't think the floppiness goes up by the same amount that the tension goes up (if it did, it would mean the 72 would have the same perceived feel on both scale lengths), so, at 27", I think 68 would have the same tension, but feel a little floppier than the 72 would at 25.5", and the 72 at 27" would have more tension and feel a little tighter than it would at 25.5".

So, I think a 70 at 27" would feel the same (not floppier, and not tighter), but have a little more tension than the 72 would at 25.5". So if you want to maintain the same feeling (although a little more tension) of the 72 at 25.5" then the 70 would be the one at 27". If you wanted the tension to be the same though (although feel a little floppier), then that would be the 68. Using the 72 on 27" would have more tension and feel a little tighter as well, so if you're not looking for that then don't get the Ernie Ball baritone set with the 72.

CONCLUSION:

at 27" choose for the low G#...

68 if you want the same tension as the 72 on your old 25.5 scale had
    70 if you want the same feel as the 72 on your old 25.5 scale had
    72 WOULD feel a little tighter (although I don't know if it'd feel TOO tight, just tighter) on the 27 than it did on your old 25.5 scale

So if you want to be like Goldilocks then I guess you'd choose the 70, lol. Hope this helps! :wavey:

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thank you both. I will get the same set but also buy a single 70 too and try it and see what i prefer between 72 and 70 on bottom.

EverDream likes this.