2010 Schecter Line FAIL (IMO)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by audibleE, Jan 15, 2010.

1. audibleE

audibleE SS.org Regular

I'm very sad. The new 2010 Schecter line seems to have missed the boat in my opinion and not listened to the current guitarist trends. I'm sure there are going to be many of you yelling at me but here's my reasons:

1. The Schecter website. Mostly built in Flash. By day I'm a web/graphic designer so I know what's what. Slow page builds, if you have a slow connection, fug'ed about it. Remember the current attention span of avid web users is 3-5 sec. (click)

2. The new look of promotional materials? Very late 80's space/tech cheesy look. Horrible. They even used the Star Wars perspective type for the credits... C'mon? Who's nephew did the new corporate identity?

3. The half inch abalone binding on most of the models still looks wretched.

4. Chrome pickup covers?
    They're not Les Pauls, so they look retarded. (yes the Solo-6 series look like Les Pauls, so...yeah.)

5. Color options. Still boring red, black and white on the customs. Yes, yes there are some blue, sunburst, see thru and standard satin finishes. But they don't seem to be "2010" colors.

6. How many of you actually use 3 tone knobs on a guitar? Some don't even use the tone knob at all. Loathe that they clunk up the guitars with 3 knobs. The one good model that has one volume, Loomis. Wasn't there suppose to be a black satin one shown on the website, but has since disappeared?

--

The few decent ones: Gold Top Tempest, the Blue Damien Elite: Solo

I know I'm being really picky and bitchy but compared to the other guitar companies, the Schecters look a little behind the times.

With all this said... I own 4 Schecter guitars and have been playing my White Tempest for 10 years now and is my main guitar for live/studio performance. I also have an Ultra, a 006 and Omen 7. I was looking forward to updating my main guitar, but unfortunately I will be switching brands this year.

Let me know what you guys think or that I'm just friggin' bonkers or something.

MaKo┬┤s Tethan and Prydogga like this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery.

From the looks of it Schecter and ESP/LTD (both owned by the same guy, you do the math :lol:) have been trying to get on the same page this year. They both seemed to play the "safe card". I don't blame them, but I think it might have been a bad idea given what other companies have brought to the table so far.

Telling by the last few Schecter NAMM oriented threads, this NAMM was certainly more of a miss than a hit. We'll see how they do at Summer NAMM.

3. JacksonKE2Shred

JacksonKE2Shred New Member

you think they fail check out Dean's line up for 2010 Dean Guitars: New for 2010 I was so excited to see a fanned 8 string like rusty cooley has been talking about :(

4. splinter8451

splinter8451 SS.org Regular

Sums it up right there :fawk:

:lol: Just kidding dude I see where you are coming from. Schecter is the one company that never really seems to change as the years go by. Sure they are offering 8 strings now but they are the SAME models just with more strings.

Only thing exciting for me from them for 2010 is the Damien 8. But I owned a Damien 7 and the neck killed my wrist so it is looking like a no for me (especially with the RGA8 from Ibanez :agreed:)

5. audibleE

audibleE SS.org Regular

Hahahahah!!!

(I hate you.):yesway::eek::wavey:

6. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus

Formal Rule of Existence #3246882872: Regardless of what a guitar company does or does not release in a given year there will be somebody bitching about it on a guitar forum :rofl:

7. Kapee

Kapee ss.org Master

Better than plain black. Im actually pretty happy about Schecters 2010 models otherwise than LTD... About chrome pup-covers, why not? Im pretty tired to see allways black ones..

8. xxxyyy

xxxyyy New Member

Ok, is that new mahogany RC7 made in USA? If so... if so... I'm not responsible for my actions.

9. xkovacsx

xkovacsx New Member

they did okay i guess. they put out the 8 strings which was a good move. i was really hoping they'd change the design of their v series because they look retarded. wider selection of colors would've been nice too. they didn't fail near as badly as dean though.

10. JacksonKE2Shred

JacksonKE2Shred New Member

Schecter has has been doing the coffin guitar far longer then epiphone. DCGL has had custom shop Schecters with the coffin design for a long time now.

11. xkovacsx

xkovacsx New Member

oh, my fault then. it was new to me. like i'd want coffin-shaped guitar anyway. >_<

12. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

I'm confused as to how abalone is "metal." It's flashier than Liberace, ffs.

13. audibleE

audibleE SS.org Regular

I totally, 100% agree. Just not good at all.

14. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist SS.org Regular

I'm one of those people that likes having a tone knob for each pickup :wavey:

15. NDG

NDG SS Contributor

I'm kind of curious who you would say is "with the times." I haven't seen much this year that made me think, now that is innovative!

16. etiam

etiam SS.org Regular

The website is awful, the focus on new Les Paul style designs is bewildering, and the only non-Loomis 7 string that really looks eye-catching is the C-7 Custom. They need to get the lame overwrought stuff off of the Avenger and let that shape be sexy on its own.

Which it is.

Even though I own and like my Schecter, their necks just aren't doing it for me these days, so I can't get too excited about them, alas.

That said, they're still one of the only 7 string companies that seems to be producing guitars for the US with passive pickups, mahogany bodies, 26" and 26.5" scale lengths, and prices under $2K (EDIT: And that, sometimes, don't look ridiculous). Give and take, I guess.

17. Troegenator

Troegenator Banned

I do like those Goldtop Tempests...sexy.

18. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

That's exactly why I got rid of my Hellraiser it played great but looked like it belonged in a Puff Daddy video.

As for Schecter it's a valid point as the website is sloooooooooowww and some of their choices for sigs this year are absolutely fucking baffling for example a Gwar sig? :nuts: I am completely stumped as to how and why that guitar even got past the drawing board when some of their other models (such as the Hellraiser Scorpion!) REALLY need to be put back into production.

I will say though that as a whole this year is possibly the best year for 7's and erg players as there's been way more choice than we've had for several years now.

19. I_infect

I_infect SS.org Regular

I am HUGE Schecter and ESP fan, but just not excited as last year, with their rush of 8's. They have alot of mid-level options, which is good, competition wise. Maybe that's what they wanted to concentrate on this year, saving the basswood $1500 bolt on guitars for Ibanez:squint: Agile had been burying Ibanez and Schecter/ESP for a few years on 7's/ERGs.

I may pick up a MH-417, may not, just because of the 25.5" scale:ugh: I doubt I'll get any 2010 Schecters, unless it's a black Loomis. I'm on that.

20. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

i think Schecter is a step ahead of the ESP line. Ill agree that both are a bit boring though. i would like a Robin Finck Ultra....