2006 J craft 7 string - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by neuk01642, Apr 28, 2018.

1. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

so opinions/experiences/reviews of 06 Japanese Ibby Prestige 7 string?
    Think it’s an RG1527.

I know nothing about if J Craft had good and bad periods of production of if the were always highly rated

What’s a decent second hand price for them?

Let me hear ya people!

2. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

I'm not sure if we're talking about Prestige or J Craft since the 1527 was the Prestige line, but I've never known J Craft to have a poor period of production. The 1527 is a great guitar, but if it has the stock pups, you'll probably want to replace them. Everything else on it was solid when I had mine. I still miss it from time to time.

3. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

Cheers man.
    The one I’ve seen is a prestige and has a J Craft stamp on the back of the headstock. Is that unusual?
    Think they are still the stock pups.

So what price? It’s auction at £550 starting but they’d let it go for £650

4. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

They did that for awhile in the early/mid 2000's - I think it's just a regular prestige and there is no difference. J Custom is the higher end line. One of the Ibanez lore keepers here may know more about that though.

AxeHappy and neuk01642 like this.
  5. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

I like the idea of an Ibanez lore keeper...
    Some wizzend metaller with arthritic fingers from all the crazy shredding and huge books bound in flame maple veneer...

nyxzz likes this.
  6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

This is correct. The TJC labeling means nothing, there are some models even where some years have the TJC stamp and some dont, they're all the same instruments made by the same people. Where people get confused is the fact that "Team J. Craft" and "J. Custom" sound really, really similar.
    I'm murrican so I can't do a eurobux conversion off the top of my head but that sounds like fair pricing, here in the states a 1527 will run you around ~$800 or so in good secondhand condition.

tl;dr for the most part an ibby (post 2000ish) is just what it says on the headstock.

auxioluck likes this.
  7. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

RG1527 prestige's in the UK currently start at about £450 and go up from there depending on model/colour/rarity, though they made loads of them so they're pretty cheap to pick up. Most models sit between the £450-£650.

Just look for 1527's on ebay, gumtree, and facebook gear exchanges you'll find a good deal.

About £500 should get you one if you look around, I wouldn't jump too quick and pay too much for one.

The UK ibanez market is pretty weird right now, people will charge £700 plus for a used premium, when you can pick up a used prestige for less, heck you can even get a RG2228 around £700.

8. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

Damn, you're right, I got those mixed up.

9. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Try to find a 7620 to be honest. Better bridge. The edge pro is, well, not great in all honesty. I don't own any guitars any more with them, although it was still nicer than the edge zero which I just don't get on with.

7620 with a lo pro trem will see you good.

Not saying the 1527 is a bad guitar, it's quite good, just that you really do want a lo pro edge (and you canot retrofit a lo pro into an edge pro route, i've tried when i had an apex1)

Matt08642 likes this.
  10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

+1 on a 7620

I scored mine a few years ago for $400 Canadian, which is like $311 US. Best deal I've ever gotten

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  11. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

800€ for an used 1527 sounds a bit high. Especially for a 12 yo model. I bought mine new back in 2012 for ~1100€.

12. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

An Edge Pro is a GREAT bridge. It stays in tune well and is built well. Would I take a Lo Pro Edge over an Edge Pro? Yes. Would I take and Edge over and Edge Pro? No. The quality is there. Original Floyd Rose bridges don’t have locking studs and yet they work great and stay in tune just like the Edge Pro.

RG1527’s are essentially newer versions of RG7620’s except without DiMarzio New-7 pickups and with an Edge Pro bridge instead. Get whichever strikes your fancy.

NateFalcon likes this.
  13. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

£500 is your middle ground for RG1527 in the UK. You can score one for that.

If it's a nice one that you really want, or a rare colour, stretch to £600, I wouldn't go above that as you'll get close to "newer" used prestige guitars.

You can also go lower if the guitar is beat up or they're looking for a quick sale but I don't see anyone going lower than £450.

Really do some research on UK used Prestige prices to go in to a deal knowing what to pay. Put it this way I struggled to sell my Mint RG2550z for £650 when it was over a grand new (Never even sold it in the end, I traded it). Ibanez are nice but they're so mass produced the used price plummets.

14. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

By the way, here’s a quote I found from Rich at Ibanez Rules:

I asked about why the Edge Pro had to die and was told that since the EZ would be used on everything Prestige, and that Joe and Steve used the Edge almost exclusively on their tour guitars, it only made sense to switch those to the Edge and completely eliminate the EP. I liked the EP a lot, and even though it did feel a little stiffer I liked it's improvements [when adding back the locking stud mod] and it's ergonomics enough that it offset any amount of stiffer feel. As a tech, the EP was my favorite to work on, but, as a player, the EDGE has always been my favorite trem.

15. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Gotta remember that deals like this are getting harder to come by, though.
    People have really started to wise up on those guitars- around here I usually see them listed at or above the prices the 1527s go for.

16. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Awesome deal.

I have played a 7620 and it was nice but the neck profile felt like a V shape to m and I couldn't get along with it.

Curious about what the 1527 neck is like compared to the 7620.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The Edge or LoPro are probably both slightly better than thhe Edge Pro, but all three are great trems. Meanwhile, I've played a couple, oh, '04-'06 1527s, and they've all had consistently excellent necks - I had an old 1527 with a set of Dactivators in it that I eventually sold because I wasn't playing it much because I didn't like the pickups, but I kind of wish I'd swapped them before sellign it, because I honestly think that guitar had the nicest neck I've ever played on an Ibby, and I've owned a CST, a 2027, and still own a UV7PWH. The new 752AHM I have has a decent neck as well and a similar profile, but isn't quite as nice...

18. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

I prefer the LoPro on the 7620's, but there's nothing wrong with the Edge Pro. Well other than lacking locking studs, but that hasn't been an issue on any of my plethora of Prestiges ;)

I prefer the neck on my 1527 more than the 7620 I used to have. Not a huge difference at all, the 1527 just fit my hands better. Definitely give the edge on stock pickups to the 7620, but how many of us don't swap out stock Ibby pickups anyways. Have Dimarzio CL/LF in my 1527 now.