20 years old, just started running, trimming the fat. Advice/motivation desired

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by jonajon91, May 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Dana, are you on my Strava?

I have some random people following that I don't know.

Biking is great although I had way to much fun and have tendinitis in my knee, taking a few weeks off to heal up.

2. Arkeion

Arkeion SS.org Regular

I cannot stress enough to you how important it is to:

1. Buy RUNNING SHOES.
    2. Stretch EVERY DAMN TIME you finish a run. Stretch your calves for sure, or you'll end up with shin splints, and that is no fun.

Enjoy it! I love running. Nothing makes me feel better. I'd suggest starting the Couch to 5K program. There's an excellent mobile app for iPhone and Android.

Edit:
    You can avoid shin splints if you stretch well enough. That is something I learned the hard way.

If I did a short run like this every night or any other night, how long would it take for me to notice any difference in either how well i'm running or how that excess belly fat to start shrinking?
    I lost about 8-10lbs a month running 3 days a week and eating halfass decent. It isn't hard, just don't give up.

I was at a BBQ earlier and had two large bottles of beer, will this have effected my run at all?
    No.

Do you guys have any advice on starting running for someone that has no idea?
    See above. And Couch To 5k.

If I was really struggling, would it be better to stop and rest for a moment or to keep walking?
    Keep walking. Don't speed walk, just walk until you're ready to run again.

I've signed up for the London mile thing in June and my brother says that if I try, I should be able to hit six or seven minutes, i'd like to be able to do that for him.
    Here's where I'm gonna be brutally honest. You will not, barring a miracle, hit a 6-7 minute mile any time soon being a new runner. But don't let that discourage you. I'd set my sights on beating a 10 minute mile first, then 9:30, and so on. Baby steps! Follow Couch to 5K to a T, and you'll be running miles in no time.

Also, buy some shorts. Running in jeans is a terrible idea. Be ready to buy some baby powder if you continue to run in jeans.

3. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Yeah I realise now how ridiculous that claim is. Ill just keep going (in shorts) and see how my times change. Ill get some running shoes next time I have some cash on the hip. Thanks for the help.

4. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Alright, I found a running buddy :D I ran at least 90% of the route today too which is good though the running was a lot slower. I started off with a lengthy walk and (very) light stretching beforehand.

[​IMG]

Also, I won't post about every run here from now on, I don't want to clog up the subforum page.

---edit---

Could someone educate me on running shoes before I pull the trigger? I'm running on pavements beside roads so I don't think I need grip for gravel or grass or anything, but then there are different arch types and I am lost.

---editedit---

What are some good stretches for the butt? It does not seem to be doing to well with all this running.

5. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

See "jayda diamonde"!!! :lol:

Just joking :cool:

Just put one foot up on something that's elevated, like a wooden/metal chair, and let your weight slowly sink in. (like where you're almost kissing your own knee, please no tongue action though lol))

6. asher

asher So Did We

+1: yeah, differently angled variations on toe touching work fairly well, especially one leg at a time

7. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

House mate had an exercise bike all this time. Ill put in a good amount of time on that every day, but there is not much resistance on it so i'm not sure how much good it will be doing.

8. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

not that i know of...
    you would know, because i use my name. Dana.
    if you want to, send me your strava link and ill follow you tho :hbang:

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

The best advice for running shoes is to go to an athletic shoe store and ask them. Not some crappy sports store, but a good shoe one. Look online and read the reviews.

And if you're trying to lose weight, don't count on running a couple of miles to do it. You really need to alter your diet to lose weight. If you're running 1.7 miles you're likely burning around 150 calories or so. You'd lose more weight just cutting out 2 slices of bread. So, to answer your question about the beer at the BBQ: If you want to lose weight, cut out that beer. And BBQ. Try eating healthier stuff, leave the beer to when you really need it (like a couple times a week), and you'll lose weight pretty quickly.

Also, I agree that you should do more than just running, if you're up for it. Do some of the conditioning exercises that involve jumping up, down, pushups, etc.

As for cycling, be careful you don't substitute casual cycling for jogging. The only time you're getting a workout on that bike is when you're pushing down hard on those pedals. Coasting isn't doing anything. So you'll have to ride for way longer than 20 minutes or so to get the same calorie burn.

And I don't mean to be a jerk, but this is a music forum. There are oodles of sources online to find out about athletic shoes, training regimens, etc. You're better off reading that stuff, and then coming on here to ask us our opinion about certain shoe types, training things, etc., rather than general questions that are only going to result in us telling you to google it.

10. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

It turns out that one of my housemates had an exercise bike so i've been borrowing that so even when i'm sat at the computer i'm pedaling away. The one problem is that there is not much resistance so I doubt it's doing anything to be honest, still i'm putting in plenty of time on it.

11. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Update. Finally seem to have gotten some kind of shin injury, it's just a very mild pain on my right leg. I've been doing plenty of other exercises too with the exercise bike, some weights off a friend (10KG long bar thing) and an ab routine from a friend. I'm going to Italy in about 12 hours and the temperatures will be around 25 degrees so I will probably have to dial back my efforts a little.
    The mile race I mentioned in the OP is the day after I get back and i'm very confident that ill run it in under ten minutes, though I would be chuffed with nine and a half. I'm figuring that the atmosphere and everyone there will bring my time down too, plus my running shoes will be here by then.

12. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

I'm going to be without internet for a week or so and something that I completely forgot to ask is what should I eat/drink on the day or the day before the run? I know carbs a few hours before can help with endurance, but this is just one mile so will I need that? Also, i'm not going to drink an energy drink beforehand or anything (have not for a few years now), but would something like a caffeine tablet push me. I'm not really a fan or the idea of cheating myself though so i'm not sure about that. Would it just be best to turn up with a bottle of water and run?

13. asher

asher So Did We

If you start trying to hydrate that morning, it's too late.

You should be regularly drinking a good deal of water, and especially the day or two before.

There have been studies that show that 1-2? cups of coffee lead to better athletic performance in terms of what your muscles can do (man, I'm so technical here :lol:), and while I think that's mostly from the caffeine I'm not sure if there are other coffee-specific compounds that help.

14. Entropy Prevails

Entropy Prevails SS.org Regular

I´ve been through the journey so I can share my knowledge:

1. Nutrition is key. In any kind of body transformation. The more you know about it the better. You should definetely know how many calories you should eat in order to lose weight. The amount of macro nutrients (e.g. proteins, carbs and fats) is also very important. If you lack proteins your body cannot repair the damage that you did to your muscles. Also keep in mind that extreme and unrealistic diets do not work. You need to change your lifestyle forever in order to be successful.

2. At your current physical state, I would recommend cycling or swimming instead of running. Running is very demanding and if your body is not ready you will pay for it. Start slow and get your body in shape before transitioning to running.

3. Consider going to the gym. It´s worth it. In the process of cutting fat you will lose muscle, it´s anavoidable. But going to the gym will work against that. The people working there mostly know what they´re doing. State your goals and they will work with you.

Those are some rough points, feel free to pm me if you want more info.

15. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

Did you ever go buy some nice shoes? The shin splints will get worse. You need to Rest and Ice

16. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

The 'shin splints' were gone within twelve hours so I think they might not have been proper shin splints. In putting plenty of time onthe exercise bike despite not having a lot of resistance. I also read through the page linked on /fit/ which was absolutely brilliant. As far as hydration goes, anything that is not alcohol is water now and has even for a few months.

17. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Well today was race day and I have to say I really quite enjoyed it. My goal was to run it in under ten minutes, but I ran it in 8:47, i'm guessing that was a mix of the atmosphere and the running shoes (yes I finally bought some). I actually think I could have shaved a bit off the time since I paced my self a lot for the first three quarters and sped up in the last section, but I should have either sped up more or sped up sooner. Either way, i'm quite happy with it all. My brother says the next step is five kilometers which is about three miles.

[​IMG]

18. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Nicely done, a 5K is approximately 3.1 miles and is a fairly common race (at least it's more common that the 1 mile is Stateside).

19. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Good work so far dude. I was kind of in the same boat as you - after I stopped playing sports in highschool, I gained about 30-35 pounds, culminating at 200 lbs after a concussion in college - really sucked, and I was really depressed, considering I had been 140 up until senior year, and fit as .... (had a 4:42 mile time.) I had been spinning my wheels at bodybuilding programs in the gym for 2-3 years as well, and was basically distance running (3-4 mi 5-6 days a week) and not watching how I ate. Basically, I came out of my depression, I've picked up powerlifting, and have been doing HIIT cardio 3 times a week, and have been counting my macros and eating at a caloric deficit - I've seen amazing strength gains, have dropped about 24 lbs so far, looking to cut down to about 165 - 170 (I'm 5'9). I feel way better about myself, and way more in shape. Those things are alot to pick up right away, but I'd recommend slowly increasing your distance and time ran (endurance), calculating your TDEE and eating below it, and as you transition into the gym, start to transition into interval training as well. It will help you cut fat much faster than endurance running. I hope the personal anecdote helps, you can only do what works for you. Biggest thing that I've taken away is that motivation is fleeting - think about playing guitar, you might not be always driven to or have time to play everyday; however, if you are dedicated and practice, you can train determination. Set goals for your runs and lifts, or what you want your new physique to allow you to do. Hopeful to see everything turn out well for you :D

Edit: Second what Hollowway said, there are lots of different resources for you to try out across the internet. Def. some awesome subreddits for this sort of thing.

20. ctgblue

ctgblue finally got seven

I will second this and add to it.

If you want to lose FAT, and KEEP it off, you need to add in strength training.
    Every pound of muscle burns betwee 30-50 calories per day, depending on activity level. You know what else burns calories, NOTHING (well keeping yourself alive, but that's just necessity).

Also, when people drop calories and increase exercise (not strength training related, like just cardio) your body gets to a point where it believes it is starving. Since the only thing that burns calories is muscle, it tries to eat the muscle tissue as fuel to prevent "dying". So when people come out of their "diet and cardio" routine, if they lost say 30 pounds, they are generally 10 -15 pound of muscle lighter, so they burn 300-750 LESS calories per day. So they can rebound unless they stay on a "diet".
    So: strength train and eat enough darn protein to maintain muscle while trying to burn fat.

Also, I never read how big you are. I am 6 foot 2 inches and 105-110 kg (230-240lbs).
    When you are my size, proper shoes are absolutely critical, as are proper insoles if you have ANY foot issues. As said, go to a "RUNNING STORE" and have them analyze your gait and fit you to the right shoes. Then, after they've raped you on your first pair (good running shoes are expensive for a reason) shop online for the last years and comparable models from other manufacturers. Save money on the follow up pairs.
    I run in Saucony Triumph on road surfaces, but use Hoka OneOne Stinsons for trails. Both are seriously padded in the heels as I am a heel striker.

So, eat for your goals, protein is key to saving muscle, strength train, keep muscle on, buy good shoes, they'll save your feet and your shins.

Lift 2-3 days per week, run 2-3 days per week. You didn't get out of shape in a month, don't expect to get in shape in a month.