20 years old, just started running, trimming the fat. Advice/motivation desired

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by jonajon91, May 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

So it seems that my simple uni life munching on pringles in front of the computer is not doing my body any wonders (pictured bellow). I've never been a very active person, I did plenty of biking, but never any sports. Since uni started last year, this lack of doing anything has only amplified. I'm not looking to become built or buff through lifting or anything, i'd just like to be a little more in shape. Tonight I went on my first little run and to be honest it did not go brilliantly, but i'm sure that will change.
    [​IMG]
    If I had to guess, I think I ended up walking around two thirds of this distance, it was always fast walking and I was really trying to keep down to a minimum, but it turns out that i'm not too good at this fitness stuff. Also, I forgot to press go on my app, I actually went from the red dot to the shop and back. I think my biggest mistake was that when I was running, I was running to quickly and wearing myself out, on the way back, I kept the speed down to a steady jog and I was able to run/jog all the way home (just).
    Also, I figured that if I ran at night, then no one would see me and that seemed to go quite well. The three things I have learnt tonight are to keep the speed down when running, wear a belt to stop jeans falling down and bring a bottle of water.

If I did a short run like this every night or any other night, how long would it take for me to notice any difference in either how well i'm running or how that excess belly fat to start shrinking?

I was at a BBQ earlier and had two large bottles of beer, will this have effected my run at all?

Do you guys have any advice on starting running for someone that has no idea?

If I was really struggling, would it be better to stop and rest for a moment or to keep walking?

I've signed up for the London mile thing in June and my brother says that if I try, I should be able to hit six or seven minutes, i'd like to be able to do that for him.

This is me now right now (just back from run number one)
    [​IMG]
    I'm also just drinking water around 97% of the time now, pictured in the background. Mainly because my teeth suck, but that's another story.

For anyone interested, this is my pedometer app that I leave running all the time. The app says a good day should yield 10K steps. My average overall is around 7-8K which is not too bad actually.
    [​IMG]

-------

I'm basically just asking for some feedback, help, information and/or support.

2. MemphisHawk

MemphisHawk Japan's One And Only

Well, you will not hit 6 or 7 minutes in the London Mile by next month. Your friend is high on every drug at one if he told you that you could go from 11:48/mile to 7 min/mile in 1 month. I think having a good dose of reality will help. You will get much better at running in a short period of time if you keep it up though. Set a baseline of miles per week. Whatever you feel is doable, say 5 miles per week, only increase the distance by about 10% a week.

Generally you will get better at running distance pretty quick. Faster than your body can keep up with, so the 10% rule helps to avoid any injuries. Since you have never really run before, after a month I would take an entire 7-10 days off. You will get shin splints if you just up and start running your ass off.

Find some shoes that don't suck ass. They are connecting your feet to the road so spend money on good shoes, don't shortchange yourself. Running shoes also wear out pretty quick. Mine are gone by 400 miles max. Usually 300 for a pair, but I am also 100 kilograms.

I think running the 1.5 mile run 3 times a week to start is not a bad idea. Do that for a couple of weeks or until you can complete it without stopping. From there you can reassess.

Losing fat from your body happens across your entire person. You cannot target belly fat. Find a way to ensure your calories in are less than your calories out and you will lose weight.

Don't try to sprint next time. Try to watch your phone or whatever you have with you and focus on an 11:30 pace the entire time.

Do a bunch of reading on your own, there is .... tons of good info out there. Good luck!

3. MemphisHawk

Oh yeah, drink as much beer as you like, but when you drink beer, your liver stores fat so that it can process the alcohol. Your choice.

4. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Cheers, I did some reading last night before I went to bed and there really is a lot of information for me out there. Would it be a good idea to alternate doing this short run one day and doing some biking every other day with a day off every week to make seven days?

5. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

I used to be the quintessential couch potato until I started running last year. Going up 4 flights of stairs to my apartment would get me panting. Take it slow and take your time, don't rush into it and keep in mind that burning fat in a healthy way takes time.

MemphisHawk is 100% correct on his pointers for you. Get good shoes, pace yourself and keep your calories low. I would also add that you should avoid fats as much as possible and go for protein and carbs instead. The key to lose weight is being in a caloric deficit.

A tip that worked great for me when I started running was to talk to myself while on the go. If you don't have the apparently annoying habit of talking to yourself already :)lol:) try singing whatever you're listening to while running. It doesn't have to be pitch perfect. The idea here is to find a pace that allows you to talk without losing your breath.

There are a lot of trainings for getting from the couch to a marathon out there. I started with one on my phone that was actually called "CouchTo5K" and then upgraded to the 10K version of it. Those are all interval trainings, which basically mean that you run for some time and walk for some time, alternating between the 2. They got me into it quite fast because the weekly goals were challenging but realistic. Try to look into one of those.

6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Keep it up :) And high intensity interval training is your best friend - doesn't take up much time at all and is highly effective! If that 16 minutes was spent sprinting/resting, it would burn more calories and boost your metabolism for a long time. Granted - it will take some adaption to be able to take repeated intervals without ending up on the floor haha

7. asher

asher So Did We

I have no commentary other than "how the hell does anyone run in jeans" and "keep it up!" :lol:

8. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

[​IMG]

Okay run number two. I ran a lot slower just now and I also did a short walk to warm up, I ran probably around two thirds of the route today and came back the long way because I thought I was doing okay. Still, i'm not under 11 minute miles which sucks, but Ill just keep going.

---edit---

I'm going to start doing proper stretching before and after, I completely forgot about that. Also is this a decent length for a run? I feel like I should be going a minimum of two miles since I've only broken a sweat well onto my way back.

---editedit---

Screw it, I know you are supposed to build up like 10% a week, but I think I started too low. Ill do a two mile minimum run tonight and see how that goes.

9. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Hope you don't end up with shin-splints.

Being non-accustomed to the impact of jogging you better make sure and do all those shin/ankle stretches/exorcises that runners do, especially if this is going to be a several times per week thing. (on hard surfaces like rhoads(go randy!) and sidewalks, even rubber tracks are bad/hard)

I agree with what EE posted about the interval running. When starting it don't sprint quite full-force, maybe between 85-90% speed to begin with.

It doesn't really need to be timed or measured, just wind up to a good hard safe speed and hold it until you feel your form start to go, then walk for just long enough to regain your lungs and/or leg strength.
    Won't take long before the distance covered in the sprints and overall goes way up.

Work different speeds on the sprints on different days. Sometimes do middle-distance speeds and other days do true sprinting.

Now I just need to go take my own advice.:lol:

10. MemphisHawk

Trust me, you aren't starting too low. You WILL get shin splints and proceed to hate life. If you can't run 1.5 miles without walking then you should stick to the 10% rule for now.

11. MemphisHawk

Add some calisthenics on the off days. Can you do 50 push-ups without stopping? You would be surprised with what a little bit of this and that can do to your body

12. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Okay, you talked me out of longer runs. Ill keep this rout for a while and see how I do over a few weeks. Time to google some proper stretches.

13. asher

asher So Did We

If you're going to do static stretching (hold this pose for 30 seconds), make sure you're warmed up first. You can actually increase the risk of injury pushing your muscles like that cold.

14. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

As a coach and long term runner I say slow down and take your time, intervals should not even be considered until you have a base of hours/miles.

1, get good shoes but more important get them at a running store, have them check your stride to see how you land. They don't need to be expensive but they have to be right, mine are always last years at less then $100.
    2, run easy for now, take lots of breaks so you work up to 1 min run 1 min walk to 3 run to 1 walk.
    3, pace is meaningless for now, takeyour time, be consistent 3-4 times a week, find a running club and learn to enjoy.
    4, core strength, planks, crunches will keep your back happy.
    5, stretch, look up the IT band stretch or runners stretches, this will help you.

Injurys happen to most new runners in the first few weeks, most of the time is from going to far and too fast. 10% a week is how much to increase, 30 min is a goal in 4 weeks.

A great motivation is to sign up for a 5-10k race in three months, another great tool is a group, great social events that make you want to get out.

15. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

I don't have good shoes for running yet and I have got blisters on my heels now so there will be no run tonight. Ill do the same route tomorrow night, but with complete stretches, warm ups and cool downs ETC.

16. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

keep up the good work man! gotta start somewhere...
    why no more biking?
    get on strava, record your stuff. brag.

17. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

I do really love biking so I looked at my bike earlier and the breaks are completely shot. I go home for the summer next month so I will sort them out there and get biking again.

18. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

Def man.
    I've been riding like crazy lately. Esp considering running ain't my thang...

19. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

I can't help but think that riding could be better off. Most of the injuries and stuff that I could get running (blisters, sprains, split shins) would not happen on a bike. I could push a bit harder right?

20. Dana

Dana SS.org Regular

It's all about what you feel more comfortable on. I def enjoy riding a lot. Running... I could care less about. But that's just me.
    I feel like you def push harder when doing an activity you really enjoy, bf it running, swimming, riding etc...
    On a bike... Your ass will get sore for the first few rides, until you get used to it.
    A set of padded shorts will take care of most of that.