2 humbucker 4-way tele switch (Help)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by mguilherme87, Jun 27, 2018.

1. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

So im trying to find a diagram for my ibanez rg 7321. Its one vol, 1 tone, 2 seymour duncans (Pegasus/Sentient 4-conductor wire) and a 4-way tele switch. Id like it to be Bridge, bridge/neck parallel, bridge/neck series, neck. Anyone have a copy of something that would work?

2. mguilherme87

also, does anyone recommend 250k pots? I feel like the 500k pots are a bit too bright.

3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Usually I'd use 500k pots, but if it is too bright, you can go down to 375 or 250...there are no real rules. Or, just use the tone knob on the guitar or the amp. I did find a wiring close to what you want, but the switch won't be in that order. Forget that it is showing single coils. Also, you will have to substitute some colors (red and white of each pickup is soldered together and taped off). Black in the diagram will be green & bare, and white will now be black.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

mguilherme87 likes this.
  5. odibrom

odibrom .

Since it was me suggesting the idea to use a 4 way tele switch, here's what I used.

I used the right schematic for my 8 stringer, but swapped the bridge and neck links so I could have neck, both parallel, both series, bridge (I find this order to be more logical to me). You'll only need solder the hot and grounds to the switch (as pictured) and use all the other wires for whatever you may want to do with a 4 wire humbucker. I'll redo the guitar's wiring somewhere in the future to emulate Seymour Duncan's TripleShot rings (only available for 6 stringers) and also add some phase switches so I can have lots of different tones...

From this schematic (not the thing I've done), you have that:
    • Neck and Bridge HOT are soldered to the switch (as they're SD, it's the BLACK wire)
    • Neck GROUND is Soldered to the switch (neck negative lead, Neck's GREEN wire)
    • Volume pot is soldered to the switch
    • There's a GROUND from the switch to link to common ground (DARK GREEN in the picture)
    • Bridge's GROUND (GREEN WIRE) is not soldered to the switch and SHOULD go to the back of a pot or some other ground spot
    [​IMG]

From my understanding, all previous links/suggestions are the same as this one, just differently drawn, so...

Enjoy

mguilherme87 likes this.
  6. mguilherme87

Thank you very much! Ill report back with the results tomorrow! Went with a 500k vol and 250k tone which seemed to tame the high end ever so slightly and just to the right amount! Cant wait to see what replacing the switch, the final piece of junky stock electronics will do to improve the tone as well!

odibrom likes this.
  7. mguilherme87

Well, everythings wired up nicely! Thing sounds absolutely killer. I had to widen the slit on the guitar body where the 4-way switch comes through. The Oak Grigsby switch was hitting the edges of the body route. Thanks for everyones help! I highly recommend this mod to others as well!

odibrom and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  8. odibrom

odibrom .

I opted to grind/file the switch lever...

mguilherme87 likes this.
  9. mguilherme87

I wish I had thought of that!

10. mguilherme87

I seem to be getting some nasty hum on positions 1 and 4...could be a ground issue

11. odibrom

odibrom .

High gain without some sort of noise supressor always hums some noise out, even with 'buckers....

12. mguilherme87

True, but the way it clicks when my hands touch and release the strings makes me think I wired something poorly.

13. odibrom

odibrom .

... time to recheck your soldering work then...? Could it be a bad cable instead? Does it hums as well with other guitars?

14. mguilherme87

Im going to have to double check my soldering again, its not humming with other guitars. maybe one of my grounds is poorly soldered