1st pickup swap/ Seymour Duncan Nazgul & Sentient Review

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ExtronMados, Mar 22, 2016.

1. ExtronMados

ExtronMados SS.org Regular

I recently got my first ERG over winter and I decided that it needed some upgrades... It is a BcR Warlock 7 and had the stock BDSM pickups in it and i got a Nazgul bridge / Sentient neck 7 string set from Seymour Duncan. :hbang:
    My overall impression with SD:

Nazgul Bridge- Although I've seen many reviews talking about high mid fizz with these, i have had no problems. Great tone, VERY clear and surprisingly very well rounded and versatile.

Sentient Neck- This neck pickup is extremely well rounded and versatile as well. It is very articulated and is amazing either clean, dirty, by itself, or with the bridge.

I have had about a week with these and can honestly say that ill be coming back to SD for more in the future :hbang::shred:

Attached Files:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. warlock7strEMG

warlock7strEMG SS.org Regular

Very nice! I have that exact same guitar. It was my first seven string. I converted mine over to active not too long after getting it, I have a single EMG 707 in the bridge and the neck pickup disconnected. Sounds legit!! But yeah, they are really cool guitars. And for being a fairly cheap guitar the neck is pretty nice on them. Very comfortable.

I recently just discovered the Nazgul/Sentient combination. I agree with everything you said about them. Well rounded and super clear. The Nazgul I believe is my favorite 7 string pickup ever. I just bought a 7 string that needs new pickups and that is the exact combination I am going with.

3. ExtronMados

To be honest, it was quite a hard choice between the Nazgul and Pegasus. Im actually currently starting on my first custom guitar build from scratch and may put an AhB1-7 Blackout bridge in it. I've tried EMGs before and i didnt really care for them that much imo. However, i tried the Blackouts in a Schecter Demon 7 (best guitar i've ever played, i want to save up for one ) and ive fell in love with the blackouts. Whilst the Emgs sounded flat, the Blackouts had quite wide tonal capabilities. They were the first and are the only actives i actually like.

4. warlock7strEMG

I completely understand! I have a Blackout in two different guitars of mine. And I love them!! One is an AHB-1 in the bridge of an Alder body Samick "Strat" 7 string, but I used the neck position one in the bridge because it has an Alnico magnet, so has little bit more mids and a little bit more warmth than the bridge position one.

The other is a Blackout EMTY 7 in the bridge of a mahogany bodied Ibanez AX7221 7 string. It's ceramic and had a ton of attack but also warm. Complements the mahogany nicely. So far it's my favorite Blackout. But I'm curious about the Loomis Blackouts. They seem to have the most mids of any Blackout in the bunch, and also are Alnico, which I'm a fan of in active pickups.

The only EMGs that I like are the 707 and the 57-7. They still have that compressed EMG thing about them, but being Alnico they have a lot more warmth and are not nearly as sterile as other EMG's. The 57-7 sounds a lot like a passive but has the active pickup consistency.

What kind of wood is the custom guitar that you are building?

5. ExtronMados

Just a mix of different big pieces I have laying around.I plan on getting a swamp ash blank and recreating the body though eventually

6. warlock7strEMG

Oh cool! Swamp ash makes for a cool seven string. Makes for a badass sounding guitar in general. The snap and low-end of swamp ash complement low tuning nicely. Not to mention the sustain that it usually has.

I would recommend something with an Alnico magnet for swamp ash. I think the Loomis Blackout would be a good choice. Or something like the EMG 57-7. The mids and warmth of either pickup will fill in and complement the woods somewhat scooped nature.

7. ExtronMados

That's along the lines of what i was thinking :yesway: