12 string guitar, but with two packs of normal strings?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by BryanBuss, Oct 19, 2017.

1. BryanBuss

BryanBuss SS.org Regular

Hey all, I know this isn't technically extended range, but I can't seem to find anyone actually trying this out. Every search comes up "nashville tuning", or "losing octave strings for more spacing", etc.

What made me want to try this, is this guitar from New Complexity

Now, I guess this makes this thread "extended range" now!

Incase no-one has seen these... New complexity makes some amazing double bridged, even tripled bridged guitars. (Pickup past the bridge, or past the nut, with slidable bridge tuners, and extra outputs for these extra pickups that let you include a bunch of harmonic overtones).

http://www.newcomplexity.com.au

This is their 4 output rest-harp

Anyway, anybody try putting two sets of regular strings on a 12 string? Almost how a mandolin is double coursed?

2. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Not a 12 string guitar, but i converted a bass to 8 string using the existing bridge, so due to not having separate intonation for each string, and due to the stronger chorusing effect i like, i used identical string pairs. I also refretted it to quartertones.

DSC02013crophalf.jpg

3. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

:eek: What do you tune that thing to? Any demos?

4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I should have added, i have that strung up with low tension baritone guitar type gauges so it's more a baritone guitar than a bass. It's tuned in fifths for more range. No demos yet but i intend to, however i'm not much of a musician.

5. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

Finally able to figure out your old avatar photo, could tell it was some kind of Dean. That's awesome, Quartertones? Salute. Are the last couple of frets fretless? Or did you start going semitone for easier fretting? A la Jon Roth for his 36 fret guitar.

6. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Yes a very cheap 2nd hand Dean Metalman V. I just stopped refretting at the neck heel because i don't like playing above a neck heel as it becomes unergonomic (i don't understand why anyone does and why guitar manufacturers expect us to) and the frets were getting very close together anyway. The 'fretless' area is not playable because it is too low.

7. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

That Aussie 12-stringer is pretty nice; I like their concept of the tunable harp-like resonator behind the bridge. Very cool :agreed: