11 Years later and the GSP1101 still surprises me!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by WarMachine, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:56 PM.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

So as many of you doodz now, i'm a BIG fan of the 1101, but today for whatever reason, i decided to try out the Mark IV sim. Fuck! I'm not sure if it's just the honeymoon phase on it or what, but i LOVE the crunch and saturation this thing has! I did a quick clip of it from one of my track, if anyone is interested in the patch, let me know!

https://soundcloud.com/user-398552247/explode-mkiv-test

Randy, chopeth, Bentaycanada and 3 others like this.
  2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Woah that sounded good. I checked out the manual for the 1101 and don’t see a mark IV model though. How did you get it?

3. Breeding The Spawn

Breeding The Spawn SS.org Regular

It's one of my favorite pieces of gear still, been using mine for the last 6 years.

@kindsage when upgrade the firmware to c63 which is the last update you get several extra amps, like the 5150, Mark IV, Triple Rec, Randall RG100 and several others, extra overdrives etc..

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

When you upgrade the firmware to vC63 (the "mustbebeta" free upgrade) , it not only adds in the ir loading capability, it also adds a handful of new amps & effects that were included in the RP1000 floorboard but not the GSP1101.

http://www.mustbebeta.com/

It's insane how much any of the amp sims can change depending on which ir you use. There's a pretty good chance you've used the MK IV before but it just sounded pretty 'blah'. Swap in an ir that you've never tried with it before and all of a sudden, it sounds pretty damn good.

5. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I come back to the Mark here and there. I always land on something British for 6's and the Engl patch for 7's. The 5150 is a bit bass heavy and hard to reign in for metalcore/djenty stuff. Plus the weird harmonics issue. I have a really good patch I call "Chupacabra". It's the Plexi boosted with a Zone. Brings some good growl and and low mids into the Marshall sound.

But anyway, there's so many cool tricks that I still can pull with the thing that I haven't fully delved into cause of laziness. I really need to figure out the running a model to one part of the loop and real amp to the other in the same patch. I tried twice to mess with the loop mix and things got weird and I abandoned the patch cause I could never get it back on track. Then one day it hit me... Dummy, you need to run a 2nd cable from the other loop send to another amp or into the return of the same amp with a splitter. Am I right?

6. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Hell yeah, that Mark IV sim was the only reason I bought my RP1000. It's really good.

But I was pleasantly surprised to find other amp sims that I liked, and the effects aren't too shabby either!

7. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Awesome preamp, the GSP1101. Should have never sold mine before.

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

5 years I'm using it with my 5150 III only for effects, equalizer and a very low noise gate (I don't even know if it's working most of the times). It kills.

But lately I'm thinking of getting rid of it since I don't use so many options it provides. I don't use wah, I don't use different patches but a clean with some chorus and delay and a couple of distorted ones. Why bothering with so many cables (not as many because the midi in my 5150). But still, Having the gsp1101 rigged I can't modulate my tone with the volume pot, because (I suppose, sorry for my carelessness) the noise gate kills the half-volume crunch tone.

Is there any way to fix this without getting rid of the GSP1101? I'll try this afternoon at the rehearsal

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

no that demo slays!!!

that lead tone is siiiiick

10. WarMachine

Smoked Porter and Randy like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Man that sounds legit as fuck. Reminds me of Sevendust's tone kinda.

WarMachine likes this.
  12. WarMachine

Thanks dude! That's what i'm really digging about it, its got that almost "spungy" low end like a marshall mixed with a 5150, but with a bite like no other. I believe this is the tone i've had in my head since the beginning and i've finally found it.

EDIT: this is all the GSP btw, except for using PULSE IR in Reaper. It's paired with the 3Sigma Mesa OS IR.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Oh yeah, the Marks definitely do that. They remain tight and bright as all fuck, but can be bouncy.

14. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

WarMachine likes this.
  15. WarMachine

16. silverabyss

silverabyss

A Metal Zone?

17. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

If you don't mind me asking, which ir exactly ? (The 3Sigma packs I got have 10 for each cab)

18. WarMachine

Sorry dude im not in front of my PC ATM, but i'm pretty sure its the first set PAST the ACE versions, the "A" version, not the B.

EDIT: Hey dude, i am now, its the "Mesa OS Rec 1a.wav"

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 9:56 AM
    Spinedriver likes this.
  19. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Yas. Gut Boooost! Haha, adds some good girth and grindy lower mids. I might need to make the patch again if I overwrote it. Will post settings.