1 More active pup before converting to passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by 0rimus, Jul 26, 2017.

1. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

My Agile Intrepid 728 came stock with Blackouts. I was expecting to hate them and swap them out pretty quick, but surprisingly, I liked them

After awhile though, the lack of clarity on the bridge pickup led me to swap it out for a Retribution 7.

IMO the Retribution is like a more refined Blackout. Definately tighter and less gainy. But pretty similar in overall voicing.

No matter what I do I can't seem to get that Monuments scratchity scratch guitar sound, which I can get pretty easily from any and all of my other passive loaded guitars through the same rig.

The Retribution is still a bit too saturated and compressed for my style. Is there another active (this guitar was my first foray into actives) pickup that can get dry tones?

I hit up my Sweetwater rep to see if he could get me an active mount version of the SD Custom 7, and he said yeah so...

Just kinda a pain to run a ground wire from the bridge and replace all the electronics for passives.

Plus I have the Liquifire 7 in the neck of another 7 that gets amazing lead tones (obvious) and a Sentient 8 in the neck of my 8 string that gets amazing clean tones...

But the Blackout neck outdoes both of those pickups in both regards. Literally the best neck pickup I've ever used, and I'd be loathe to swap it out.

But I'm using the bridge pup 95% of the time so maybe I should priortize that...

Idunno, what do you guys think?

2. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Fishmans maybe? They are quite steep though...

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It seems it depends on the guitar you use these pickups, as in one guitar the SD Blackouts had more clarity, with the gain rolled back on the amp and the pickups lowered, compared to the Retributions. This is a quite dark and even sounding guitar, even a bit dull sounding, so the more pronounced high frequencies had a positive impact even though there are a lot of low mids that don't help.

Maybe try the EMG 57-7 pickup. Judging by the 6 string version I have, it would be more up to what you're looking for. Tight, crunchy, more high mid voiced and a lot less compressed than regular EMG's and Blackouts.

4. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Yeah, agree on 57s, they are for sure the best thing EMG has made to date. I still prefer passives though.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

thing is, early Monuments (Gnosis) John Browne was often using EMG equipped guitars. Not sure how you are aiming for Monuments tones but not getting there with Actives given the monuments guitarist pulled that off and thats what you are aiming for.

Just try the good Ol EMG 81 like Browne used/uses. If its not scratchy enough for you then add one of the EMG active EQ knobs that cover boosting mids/highs to pair with it.

EDIT:
    Here he even used the crappy 707's but made them sound great, so its do0able

6. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Yeah always wanted to try the emg rpc.

In the context of 6 strings I've heard some emg comparisons and actually like the 60 in bridge position more than the 81 or 85.

So maybe a 60-7X? Emg describes it as having the most attack out of any of their pickups

Anyone know if disconnecting the tone pot has the same effect on actives as it does passives? Might do that too