.022 or .047, sway me one way or the other please

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ChrisCDoom, Mar 3, 2018.

1. ChrisCDoom

ChrisCDoom SS.org Regular

It's for a rg7321, the output on the neck humbucker is 6.8 or something, the bridge read 12.5

I'm leaning heavily towards .047 and I have added that to my shopping cart but did not checkout yet. I think it might suit my style better, but will it encroach on my mids?

I know I could always change it later but I'd rather not have to. In before I just click proceed to checkout.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

What do you want out of your tone knob? The higher the value the faster and more you'll be rolling off the high frequencies. If you want a more gradual/subtle effect go for the lower value.

3. ChrisCDoom

Well I only have one tone knob for both humbuckers, I got a push pull for the tone and just a normal 500k audio taper for the volume...

I plan on phase switching with the push pull for the neck pickup and doing some kind of coil splitting with the 5-way if I can figure that out.

I understand the .047 is going to be a little darker. I did just order that but it's not too late to change it. I read the .047 is going to mellow the highs out a little. In my playing I do a lot of chordal stuff and I solo but I don't think I'm going to lose too much with the higher value but I'm not sure.

4. MaxOfMetal

You're just cutting highs. That's all the cap on the pot does.

Personally, I tend to go for lower values as I rather cut higher frequencies at the amp, and prefer a more subtle cut.

Ebony and ChrisCDoom like this.
  5. ChrisCDoom

Ok, so if it's turned all the way right it's going to perform almost the same as a .022? I just think I'm probably going to prefer a darker tone that's why I'm going with it.

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I always go lower. A .010 or a .005 with a 1 meg pot actually makes the control usable.

7. MaxOfMetal

If you cut too much highs you're just going to get a boomy, undefined mess hitting the front end of your amp. Once you cut those top end frequencies at the beginning of your signal chain it's pretty much impossible to get them back.

8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I have no idea what tone knobs are used for on humbucking guitars. I always have mine all the way up.

9. MaxOfMetal

It's a great on-the-fly control for adjusting your highs, whether do to the room, song or style of playing. It's definitely more for those who play out.

Think of it as having a slider of an EQ at hand at all times.

Granted, in the modern world we currently reside you can switch patches and adjust them with your feet if you have the gear for it, which can have a similar effect.

Hollowway likes this.
  10. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Just get two .022 caps. If wired in parallel, they have .044 capacitance. So you can switch back and forth and see what you like.

Just wire each up like normal, only you’ll have two there instead of one. Then you can lift a leg on one cap to hear the difference.

11. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Get some gator clip cables and try both. No soldering!

12. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

That’s because the values typically used are too high. If you grab some substantially smaller values, then the whole variable resistor becomes useful. If you find that dropping the tone from 10 to 9 changes it up but still sounds pretty good, then why not replace the .047 uF with a 5 nF cap; and essentially have the entire sweep of the tone pot fine tune what used to be between 9 to 10.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Hollowway likes this.
  13. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, for sure. That’s kind of what I meant. There is some useful parts to the tone knob, but once you get past a quarter turn it sounds like the whole thing is under a blanket. I’m all for extremes, but the tone knob could generally be waaaay better done.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  14. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

First thing I do when I get a guitar is get caps out of the cavity because they always sound worse to me with them.

15. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Some electronics guru on The Gear Page posted some scope measurements that showed the cap value only matters once the tone pot was rolled back more than about 50%. Until that point, what you’re hearing is just based on the value of the pot itself.