“It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.”

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Vince, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Vince

Vince Contributor

Anyone else ever played zork games? I remember them fondly from when I was a kid.

Zork I is and will always be my favorite. Beyond Zork was insanely fucking hard & I never wound up finishing it. I loved the first 3 though, and the Myst-like Return to Zork that came out about 10-15 years ago. Good stuff!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello Sailor!

ibznorange and Naren like this.
  2. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Zork!!!

Zork is the only one I've played, but I loved it like crazy. I played it wayyy back on the first computer I had: my step-dad's Apple II.

I loved how that game had such an interesting world. Like how you could go to Hell in it and just all the other interesting stuff in that game. Or how mysterious and creepy parts of it were. The white house at the beginning. Those cliffs. That underground dam.

My friend had "Return to Zork" and I wanted to play that game so bad, but I never had a chance. :(

I had a fuck of a lot of fun with the original Zork, though. I can't compare it to the others though, but I can say that it was pure genious. PURE GENIOUS. One of the greatest games ever made. :yesway:

Now you got me wanting to play that game again. :lol:

Stitch likes this.
  3. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

What kind of game is it?

4. Steve

Steve I'm a Happy Camper.

5. Naren

It was one of the first PC games. It came out in 1980 (28 years ago!!) on some of the very first home PCs. It was a text adventure game and it is actually quite amazing what they did at the time (it was programmed from like 1977 to 1979, I read somewhere).

Here's the wiki about the first Zork game, which most fans agree is the best in the series (there have been a total of 15 Zork games, the latest one having come out in 1997):

Zork I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Never even heard of this... I may need to check this out.

7. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

You uncultured neandrathal! It is a landmark moment in gaming history!

8. Naren

Sho' is. It influenced me enough that I programmed a total of 4 text adventure-RPGs between the ages of 10 and 14 (in Q basic and later in C).

I still find those kinds of games to be incredibly enjoyable. Puzzle solving in an interesting world. And the sense of humor in the games is just great.

9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I loved Infocom's games. Zork ruled, and it took me forever to figure out how to get the damn Babel fish in my ear in the Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy game...

Zork's still one of the best examples of imagination being better than any graphics. The game was awesome because of the limitations, not in spite of them.

10. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

I would like to see it done up creatively (nethack style?) with graphics.

typing through a game is not my bag.

11. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

I tried to play it last night. I haven't played any text adventures in ages, so I was completely lost for a while. I always get lost in the fucking forest. At least you can do the "kill self with sword" thing. :lol:

12. Naren

You do realize that you're supposed to go inside the house, right? :lol: That's why you start out in front of it. So you can go inside. It's basically your entrance to the great underground empire and it's also the place that you get the two items that are most famous from Zork I, II, and III.

13. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

Yes. I went inside. How else could I kill myself with the sword? I just thought it'd be interesting to explore the place, so I got lost in the woods and killed myself with the sword.

14. Naren

There's another sword just laying out in the woods. If you just walk around in the woods before going in the house, you can find a sword (not an elvish sword of antiquity, though. Just a regular sword. I don't think the regular sword glows when there are enemies around like the Elvish sword does). Other weapons in the game are the "nasty looking knife," the troll's axe, and lessee. Quite a few more, but I think there are a total of like 3 swords in Zork I.

I like the gates to Hades. :lol:

15. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

I played it for a bit more and went in the Underground Empire. Cool stuff. I got lost there as well. :(

16. Steve

Steve I'm a Happy Camper.

If you need them: Zork Maps