homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

chrismgtis will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Locking Tuners on PRS SE trem not staying in tune

I just very recently got the Paul Reed Smith SE single cut in tobacco sunburst with the tremolo. A while back I contacted PRS to see what options I had for locking tuners and they told me that Grover 406c locking tuners would be a direct replacement.

Really never used locking tuners in the 12 years that I've been playing. I looked at a YouTube video to make sure I was stringing them right and I'm assuming that I am. I stick part of the string in the post and turn it till the tuners lock the string in and then finish tightening the string. I tried to let the string go around the post once or twice, though the instructions that came with it or to my knowledge that is not required.

Issues:
1. I can turn some of the tuners just a little bit and get a decent distance on the tuning, but on other tuners I have to turn them much further.
2. When I get a string in tune, some of them somehow TIGHTEN (goes sharp) by the time I get back around to check the strings and make sure they are all still dead on (or it goes flat). They go sharp by almost an entire step sometimes in just a matter of 20 seconds.

It's just really frustrating and right now they locking tuners aren't doing their job. I thought maybe the trem was off center or something, but I've really no clue what would cause all of this.

OH by the way. I know the tuners are labeled somehow, but honestly I'm not sure at all if one tuner is supposed to be for a specific string or not. Obviously 3 go on one side only, but that's about as much as I could tell, because there were no instructions to say which tuner went to which string.

chrismgtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you stretch the strings when you restring your guitars, right?

I'unno

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
you stretch the strings when you restring your guitars, right?

I'unno
Yea I pulled on them several times. I've played the guitar for a little bit afterward too.
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I would make sure that the nut is cut correctly & not binding.

I have my PRS SE Paul Allender & it's my go-to axe for any Drop D stuff I gotta play. I added Schaller Locking Tuners & had the nut cut properly. I can go nuts on the whammy bar & it never goes out of tune. It's gotta be your nut, dude.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post

I have my PRS SE Paul Allender & it's my go-to axe for any Drop D stuff I gotta play. I added Schaller Locking Tuners & had the nut cut properly. I can go nuts on the whammy bar & it never goes out of tune. It's gotta be your nut, dude.
Well I was thinking about getting a bone nut because a guy I know recommended it. Any advice on that and what size nut I need?
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismgtis View Post
Well I was thinking about getting a bone nut because a guy I know recommended it. Any advice on that and what size nut I need?
For this particular guitar, you should be fine with the existing nut. Just have the string slots cut & lubed. That's all I had to do.
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:50 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

thesimo is just really nicethesimo is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i duno but the way you have your low E strung is pretty bad, Its overlapping the excess and basically giving you a spring on your tuner lol. make sure its wrapped tight and coming right off the pole.
thesimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimo View Post
i duno but the way you have your low E strung is pretty bad, Its overlapping the excess and basically giving you a spring on your tuner lol. make sure its wrapped tight and coming right off the pole.
Yea, I was trying to do something different and I've never really had instruction on anything guitar, especially how to string the best way.
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
The Tooth Fairy

PirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If they're locking tuners, why do you have so much string wrapped around your string posts? shouldn't you need less than one wrap? As far as I've ever heard lost of wraps can cause the strings to catch/stick to each other when you dive, knocking you our of tune.

EDIT: That is, unless your guitar has a locking nut, but yours doesn't so ignore this comment.
PirateMetalTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateMetalTroy View Post
If they're locking tuners, why do you have so much string wrapped around your string posts? shouldn't you need less than one wrap? As far as I've ever heard lost of wraps can cause the strings to catch/stick to each other when you dive, knocking you our of tune.

EDIT: That is, unless your guitar has a locking nut, but yours doesn't so ignore this comment.
At first I was kinda hesitant with these type of locking tuners. I wasn't sure I could trust it to hold a string in so I wrapped once or twice for good measure. I'll stop doing that.
Unread 03-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
The Tooth Fairy

PirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to beholdPirateMetalTroy is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My dad has a guitar with some gotoh auto-locking tuners. The kind that have that casing that locks down on the string, not the kind with the thumb screws at the back...never, ever had a problem.

insert string, tune to pitch, stretch strings, done. It's doesn't even require one full wrap.
PirateMetalTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Lord Super Awesome

Shit, didn't notice that. NO STRING WRAPS on locking tuners....ever.
Unread 03-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Shit, didn't notice that. NO STRING WRAPS on locking tuners....ever.
This is truth!

If you wrap locking tuners, you are no better off than using standard tuning machines. You want the string to make a sort of U shape at the post, so that the hole/slot is parallel to the string. There is a common mis-conception that strings "stretch", but that is actually the string windings around the post just settling. I've never actually had to stretch strings with locking tuners, I just tune up the new string and go.
gunshow86de is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
This is truth!

If you wrap locking tuners, you are no better off than using standard tuning machines. You want the string to make a sort of U shape at the post, so that the hole/slot is parallel to the string. There is a common mis-conception that strings "stretch", but that is actually the string windings around the post just settling. I've never actually had to stretch strings with locking tuners, I just tune up the new string and go.
They don't stretch? Seriously? Damn. I've had so many people tell me that.
Unread 05-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

asaber89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What kind of Schaller's did you put on your SE? I have a Santana SE with stock, non-locking tuners and would love to put some locking ones on there. Also, did you have to drill any holes to fit the Schaller's?
asaber89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
Banned

MTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of light
Those SE tuners are horrible. I know on all the SE guitars we had out we made them upgrade the tuners to the ones on the high end models and than never had a problem. In fact the one guitar that DIDN'T break on the road was the SE where as all the SC's had some issue or another.

Also with locking tuners like posted above you don't want it to wrap around of it defeats the purpose. When you string it correctly it should look like this.

MTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #17
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
I tried to let the string go around the post once or twice, though the instructions that came with it or to my knowledge that is not required.
Not only is it not required, it's not recommended. The wraps of string around the tuning post is exactly the issue locking tuners are meant to eliminate. All those wrapped strings will continue to flex and stretch, making your guitar go out of tune.

Pull the string through the tuner, pull it taut, then lock it. Your guitar should tune to pitch in less than one turn of the post.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #18
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Not only is it not required, it's not recommended. The wraps of string around the tuning post is exactly the issue locking tuners are meant to eliminate. All those wrapped strings will continue to flex and stretch, making your guitar go out of tune.

Pull the string through the tuner, pull it taut, then lock it. Your guitar should tune to pitch in less than one turn of the post.
+1

+1 to checking that the nut's cut correctly too, but one thing at a time!

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #19
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
At first I was kinda hesitant with these type of locking tuners. I wasn't sure I could trust it to hold a string in so I wrapped once or twice for good measure. I'll stop doing that.
Errr....Those dont look like locking tuners! you should go for a bone nut and some sperzels, not just for function but for aesthetics.

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #20
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
They are locking tuners, look at the top of the tuner post dude. They're definitely locking Grover tuners.

To the OP, I think since it sounds like you're lacking experience in the technical area of guitar maintenance (not a shot at you, just judging by your posts in this thread so far ) your best bet is to bring it with you to a local guitar tech and let them take a look to see if your nut has any issues first and foremost. I know a lot of the SE line needs the nut slots fixed or a new nut installed, both of which are cheap fixes and will definitely improve the quality of the guitar tenfold. While you are there, ask them if they will show you how to properly string a guitar with locking tuners as it is relatively easy but since it sounds like you don't have experience with them it might be better than the guys on here trying to tell you how to do it via text alone.

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter, Carvin
Rigs: Kemper + Atomic CLR, Invader 100, Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #21
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushingAnvil View Post
Errr....Those dont look like locking tuners! you should go for a bone nut and some sperzels, not just for function but for aesthetics.
Bone nut is nice tonewise, but not slippery, at all. My recommendation would be a Graphtech Tusq or Black Tusq nut, not bone.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #22
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Bone nut is nice tonewise, but not slippery, at all. My recommendation would be a Graphtech Tusq or Black Tusq nut, not bone.
Those are good also - OP, You have a guitar with, what I'd say is, great modding potential, mod away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGain510 View Post
They are locking tuners, look at the top of the tuner post dude. They're definitely locking Grover tuners.

To the OP, I think since it sounds like you're lacking experience in the technical area of guitar maintenance (not a shot at you, just judging by your posts in this thread so far ) your best bet is to bring it with you to a local guitar tech and let them take a look to see if your nut has any issues first and foremost. I know a lot of the SE line needs the nut slots fixed or a new nut installed, both of which are cheap fixes and will definitely improve the quality of the guitar tenfold. While you are there, ask them if they will show you how to properly string a guitar with locking tuners as it is relatively easy but since it sounds like you don't have experience with them it might be better than the guys on here trying to tell you how to do it via text alone.
O LAWDZ My eyes deceived me!

also,

+1

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel

Last edited by CrushingAnvil; 05-19-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #23
Lord Super Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaber89 View Post
What kind of Schaller's did you put on your SE? I have a Santana SE with stock, non-locking tuners and would love to put some locking ones on there. Also, did you have to drill any holes to fit the Schaller's?
I used these bad boys. They drop right in & I had a local tech do it, although it'd be really easy to do it yourself. The tech just through them on because he was doing other mods for me. Make sure your nut it also cut properly for whatever string gauges you use because strings can bind there also.

Schaller Mini Locking Tuners
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #24
Elderly juvenile

DavyH is a glorious beacon of lightDavyH is a glorious beacon of lightDavyH is a glorious beacon of light
Nut binding. SEs are awesome guitars for the price, but the nuts are crap. Replace or have the slots recut and lubed.

Locking tuners: why the hell doesn't every guitar come with locking tuners?
DavyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #25
Lord Super Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
Nut binding. SEs are awesome guitars for the price, but the nuts are crap. Replace or have the slots recut and lubed.
I just had the existing nut cut correctly. With that & the locking tuners, I have tried my best to get this thing to go out of tune & I can't do it. Great axes indeed.