homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
AU director / RHLC ©

cow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jim root tele

does anyone have or played a jim root tele? i am rather fond of this guitar but cant get my hands on one as yet to try.pros, cons please good sirs

do you have a fetish for reverse heads stocks?,do you find your self sweating or drooling over the site of a reverse head stock? if the answer is yes then i can help with therapy and rehab.join RHLC to feel normal again.....first consult free,normal rates apply after..LOL

Rock The Fuck Out
..DAN/CYBERSYN

NOS tube freak

MESA OWNERS CLUB MEMBER..R-014XXX
cow 7 sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Banned

sworth9411 is just really nicesworth9411 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey Dude… I have now played two of these and was excited at the prospect, but was really disappointed with the sound, the feel, and the overall quality of this guitar was really not worth it for the money…..

It definitely has it for me in the looks department, and the specs seem like they should be great, but for the money, I just felt this guitar was far below subpar in the feel, and quality in general……for the money you could buy a lot of much better guitars without the name attached….my 2 cents…..
sworth9411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
These things are made in Mexico

I would have loved to try one (would loved it more if it was Alder) but, yeah I'll think about it more.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
AU director / RHLC ©

cow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of lightcow 7 sig is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
These things are made in Mexico

I would have loved to try one (would loved it more if it was Alder) but, yeah I'll think about it more.
ooooooorly
didnt know that.not all guitars from mex are crap but are they?
i really really like it but need more opinions as i cant try one out.

do you have a fetish for reverse heads stocks?,do you find your self sweating or drooling over the site of a reverse head stock? if the answer is yes then i can help with therapy and rehab.join RHLC to feel normal again.....first consult free,normal rates apply after..LOL

Rock The Fuck Out
..DAN/CYBERSYN

NOS tube freak

Unread 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
MIM DOES NOT MEAN A BAD INSTRUMENT!

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post

What I meant was I was surprised with a Signature being built in MX not US. But then again, Mick Thompson's Sigs aren't made in Japan either. Mex Fenders are usually very good. I've been keen of a swimming pool routed mex strat (if any) for HSH Wilkinson modding.

Don't get me wrong the Tele looks damn good for what it is and I still would like to try one (pls release a white maple board version), best thing you can do is try before you buy.
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth9411 View Post
Hey Dude… I have now played two of these and was excited at the prospect, but was really disappointed with the sound, the feel, and the overall quality of this guitar was really not worth it for the money…..

It definitely has it for me in the looks department, and the specs seem like they should be great, but for the money, I just felt this guitar was far below subpar in the feel, and quality in general……for the money you could buy a lot of much better guitars without the name attached….my 2 cents…..

I took a shot at playing the Root Tele when I picked up my uber-awesome Boss Slicer a while back. I figured since it had EMG's it'd be similar to my axes at home, and I love Teles.

Impressions? Did not like... at all. It's a monstrously heavy beast, thicker than what one would normally consider Tele, with a friggen' lamp post of a neck. Unless you like that sort of thing, I wouldn't recommend. It was also quite dead sounding (despite the EMG's), and while the little chamfer in the neck joint is a novel idea, it felt a little goofy. I won't comment on the action, as it might not have been set up right. It just wasn't "Tele" anything, feel or sound wise, despite the shape and name tag.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
lurkin'.

_detox is a glorious beacon of light_detox is a glorious beacon of light_detox is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hate to jack the topic, but I'll be quick.

How is the Slicer? It caught my eye in a magazine and I've considered picking it up for use in my band (an electronic/dance/metal b and) to mimic the trance gate effect you hear in most trance songs.
_detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The only thing tele about this guitar is the shape. Why would you take the ugliest guitar fender makes, and take away all the tonal aspects of what makes it what it is? Once you put a different bridge, active pickups, make it set neck, and change the woods, its essentially a super strat shaped like a tele.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Beta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ken View Post
The only thing tele about this guitar is the shape. Why would you take the ugliest guitar fender makes, and take away all the tonal aspects of what makes it what it is? Once you put a different bridge, active pickups, make it set neck, and change the woods, its essentially a super strat shaped like a tele.
And some people like and want just that.

I think you're overlooking the Jaguar, Jazzmaster or Mustang if you think the Tele shape is the ugliest thing Fender offers. Those three all remind me of an ashtray my parents had in the 70s.

A Strat without three single coils, a crappy fulcrum trem, and that isn't made of alder or swamp ash isn't exactly what made the Stratocaster what it originally was, either. Yet we've taken to calling guitars shaped roughly like a Stratocaster yet lacking those original Stratocaster characteristics "super strats."
Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Agent of Chaos

Apex1rg7x is a splendid one to beholdApex1rg7x is a splendid one to beholdApex1rg7x is a splendid one to beholdApex1rg7x is a splendid one to beholdApex1rg7x is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I have one of these and think its a great guitar. Theres no need to downplay the guitar since its MIM, Jim said throughout the whole process of building this guitar he wanted it to be affordable, under $1000. So it ended up being MIM to keep costs down. As far as the guitar itself, its my main guitar right now and i really like it. The only thing i dont like is the EMG's, but i have some BKP painkillers coming to replace those so after that it should be fantastic. I agree though it is rather heavy but its not a big deal. All in all im really fond of this guitar so find a used one and give it a try.
Apex1rg7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #13
Elderly juvenile

DavyH is a glorious beacon of lightDavyH is a glorious beacon of lightDavyH is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post

It's a monstrously heavy beast, thicker than what one would normally consider Tele, with a friggen' lamp post of a neck.
Jim Root's 6'6" with matching hand size. I doubt he really notices the weight, and IIRC the neck profile is his design.

Tried one as well and didn't like it much. The Fender Custom Shop Flat Heads Slipknot used at one stage are far better guitars - the Showmaster has the best neck I've ever felt on any guitar.
DavyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #14
APEX

Esp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post

Damn right it doesnt, I had a MIM strat and it was blinding. It's one of the only guitars I regret selling.
Esp Griffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
Banned

Scali is just really niceScali is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
(pls release a white maple board version)
They did! (It's Fender, not Ibanez ).
There's two models, pretty much black/white and reverse (see the Fender site).
The 'reverse' one has a maple fretboard. A friend of mine just bought that one.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean you want them to make the entire body white, I guess?
Well nevermind what I said then
Scali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
President / RHLC ©

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
That's right but it's still a Tele, not a superstrat a V or a Les Paul. That "it's not a Tele!" argument is getting redundant imo.

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
Silence is Violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
They did! (It's Fender, not Ibanez ).
There's two models, pretty much black/white and reverse (see the Fender site).
The 'reverse' one has a maple fretboard. A friend of mine just bought that one.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean you want them to make the entire body white, I guess?
Well nevermind what I said then

Yeah basically a white version with maple board. While I would have prefered an Alder body, but maybe I'm just dreaming of wanting this:
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1...evin001cx9.jpg
Unread 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
SS.org-er

caughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Set neck? No.

However, I agree with the rest of your argument - this guitar pretty much goes against everything which a Tele is "meant" to be.
caughtinamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #19
AU director / RHLC ©

guys,dont get me wrong im not beating on MIM.i just assumed it was jap or US.sounds like theres not a lot of love for it lol but i still want to try one.i wanted pros and cons as there are none in stock where i am.

Rock The Fuck Out
..DAN/CYBERSYN

NOS tube freak