homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #26
look at each other..

Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Soul View Post
Do you happen to know if older trees make better sounding wood?
That's another interesting one. i'm curious to know about this also...

This thread pwns

Unknown Doodl3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #27
7>6

NiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud ofNiCkMiLnE has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Doodl3.2 View Post
That's another interesting one. i'm curious to know about this also...

This thread pwns
i suppose, as wood ages the tone apparently mellows.

but meh, you need to let wood dry and cure before you can use it anyway

laney aor series II
mesa boogie nomad
^in stereo^

el34+ 6l6 = <3
NiCkMiLnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 09:20 PM   #28
not banned at all

kovachian is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just for the record, not all maple neck thru guitars with mahogany wings are heavy. My Carvin 7 string has maple and mahogany and is lighter than the mexi Fender strat I used to have.
kovachian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 11:02 PM   #29
ss.org Regular

FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
well that is true but it depends on what you're comparing it to. I've held RG350s that are fvkkin heavy and their made of basswood. =/ But yes, my RGT isn't too heavy for a mahoguitar.
FortePenance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #30
ss.org Regular

Atomic_gerbil is a jewel in the rough
I ....in' love my RGT, lemme tell you that. Got it today. Just the no-trem version.

Atomic_gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #31
ss.org Regular

FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.FortePenance is shredding to new heights.
Agreed, playability is the shit yo. I wish mine had offset dot inlays like the FX one though.
Unread 08-01-2007, 03:12 AM   #32
SS.org Regular

LEWY7777777 is a jewel in the rough
In a neckthru guitar the neck has more bearing because it is simply also the middle piece of the body. The body wings give up a little in return yet are still a vital part of the formula. The neck thru sends more energy up and down the guitar than widthwise being more powerful lengthwise has its affect on the balance of resonation throughout the guitar so you can characterize its frequency dynamic as being "a more precise sound". Neck throughs HAVE enhanced sustain and tonal properties associated with its construction of the neck. The mahogany wings add bass and another dynamic to the tone. Your pickups have there own tone shaping properties that will modify the tone being delivered into them via string vibration carrying the woods 'character' wether or not they compliment the natural tone of your instrument depends on the woods employed and your ear, because it is this foundation that the pickups stand on. Also , even different strings have different tonal shape finishing touches- As with the tonal properties of any material , frets , bridges , tuners , etc. that are in use on the instrument.
LEWY7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #33
king of the monsters

Arctodus is a jewel in the rough
Theres a huge factor of sound that also changes depending on how aligned the strings are at the nut and bridge. On a bolt guitar for instance its generally straight. Set necks have a fixed angle the strings travel. Neck thru guitars are straight but fixed with the guitar. Something as minor as this many people don't think about. The sound on a a bolt will always be the deepest because of this. Set necks generally contain a more mid tone and neck thrus will have the brightest tone. But thats generally more then one reason.

Neck thrus are commonly produced with 24 frets. 22/21 fret guitars have the 24th fret right over the neck pickup meaning the nodal point and octave can be obtained by picking it. This causes a warmer thicker sound at the neck pickup and as well pinch harmonics and harmonics are much more robust. 24 fret guitars loose the nodal point to the fretboard to produce a brighter, airy more ethereal sound. 24 fret guitars always sound "thinner" to me then a 21/22 fret guitar. You can compare and contrast yourself and notice a huge difference.

This is why I prefer bolt on guitars with 21/22 frets over mostly everything. I'll loose some woody tone for thicker sounding strings and richer harmonics.
I've had 2 Carvin guitars and they sounded so wimpy compared to my strat I decided to sell um.
Arctodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #34
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
The node thing only works when the string is open, that argument has been debunked a million times, it just sounds fatter is all, if you like the sound better then good for you but it's not better >__> I personally hate the sound of the neck pickup on guitars with less than 24 frets because it's too bassy.

The one sentence answer to how wood affects the sound is this:

The wood changes the way the strings vibrate.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #35
I am with Jesus!

Kakaka is a glorious beacon of lightKakaka is a glorious beacon of lightKakaka is a glorious beacon of light
^Sorry, I'll have to say that's not the case.

A string of certain gauge will always vibrate the same when you apply a certain tension to it. Of course, the ends to which it is attached must be of very solid and dense material in order to prevent wave attenuation (which happens when dudes put a piece of foam on the nut, it attenuates greatly some high frequency harmonics, of course it will take sustain and a bit of main frequencies, but with still useful sound). But since everyone's guitars are attached to holding ends made of steel, copper, bone, graphite, hard polymeric compounds, neck/body wood's a minimal factor on string vibration(excluding the fact that it is what keeps the string under tension).

Of course you need a solid neck and body to keep the string under tension, but that's just it. If you manage to keep the string tuned to let's say A (440 Hz) with two steel forcepses you'll get the same vibration you would with a maple neck, mahogany bodied guitar.

The way the wood affects tone is by attenuating(absorbing) waves of certain frequencies more than waves of other frequencies.

Same thing happens to the electronics. Of course, in terms of electromagnetic fields, but same thin: filter electric signal of some frequencies and cut other.

Last edited by Kakaka; 09-18-2007 at 03:58 PM. Reason: some typing mistakes
Kakaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #36
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
The science of guitars How about this, we play what we like and don't over analyze it? I prefer neck throughs for the feel when you're playing the higher frets, and the look (yes, a lame argument, but aesthetics are a big thing with guitars).
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #37
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
A string won't always vibrate the same way as another one man, that's not physically possible to us. Unless you make a 100% exact copy a string will be different than another one.

Aside from the string, the wood is the thing which vibrates the most in the guitar, the other things are chosen because they are strong and don't really affect the sound much. They are used to be a "stable base" for the string to vibrate on.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #38

WillingWell is just really niceWillingWell is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissing View Post
My neck thru gibson SG was the best sounding, guitar I've ever owned, and had the best chord definition and clarity over any bolt on i've ever played. But it's preference.

All Gibsons are set necks, I don't think I've ever heard of an SG with a neck-thru style neck.
WillingWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #39
I am with Jesus!

Kakaka is a glorious beacon of lightKakaka is a glorious beacon of lightKakaka is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
A string won't always vibrate the same way as another one man, that's not physically possible to us. Unless you make a 100% exact copy a string will be different than another one.

Aside from the string, the wood is the thing which vibrates the most in the guitar, the other things are chosen because they are strong and don't really affect the sound much. They are used to be a "stable base" for the string to vibrate on.
Okay, but the difference between two sample strings of same brand and model is not noticeable by human ear, even Eric Johnson's. I
Unread 09-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #40
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillingWell View Post
All Gibsons are set necks
I think the LPs, SGs and Explorers are sets. The Firebird is neckthru though AFAIK.
Unread 09-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #41
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Errg.

Each string vibrates at a set of frequencies. The amplitude of each frequency in the set determines the tone you hear. Everything you change that has mechanical interaction with the string will change the amplitudes of the frequencies. Any change in the guitar effects the tone.

If I change the material a string is made of, the wood in the fretboard, the wood in the body, the alloy of the frets, the electronics in the guitar, or the type of pick I use, it will change the tone. Even if I add a small weight to the headstock, it will change the tone.

If you want proof for yourself, you can take any two guitars and record them, download free software to do Fourier transforms on the sound clips and look at the amplitudes of the different frequencies. I've done this myself to look at the differences in Mahogany and Poplar, but don't take my word for it.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #42
I am with Jesus!

Up.
Unread 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #43
SS.org Regular

supertruper1988 is just really nicesupertruper1988 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-EJ915 View Post
This is not true even these things have an effect on the tone of the guitar.

For example:
Old Les Pauls had aluminum tail pieces and bridge.
New Les Pauls have brass or other heavy alloy material for the tail piece and bridge.

I have both and the Aluminum is much brighter BUT it has less sustain.
supertruper1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #44
Banned

Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Stitch deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Les Pauls suck.

I actually took part in a seminar at University to day about this very thing, but most of my points were covered by Kakaka's first post. So just pretend I said something fresh and interesting.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #45
I am with Jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertruper1988 View Post
This is not true even these things have an effect on the tone of the guitar.

For example:
Old Les Pauls had aluminum tail pieces and bridge.
New Les Pauls have brass or other heavy alloy material for the tail piece and bridge.

I have both and the Aluminum is much brighter BUT it has less sustain.
Yeah, true, the holding ends' material and geometry will have effect on sound and string vibration, just see that Kahler has an extense line of bridges with many different materials for their roller-balls, from brass to steel. They even indicate what the tonal quality it will enhance.
Unread 10-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #46
ss.org Regular

Question, slighty offtopic but whatever eh.

Since bridges make a difference to the sustain, will say something like a Fixed Edge bridge (think RG2228 or MTM1) have less sustain than say a TOM bridge seeing as how the strings in the Edge don't actually touch the wood of the guitar, whereas the TOM does?
Unread 10-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #47
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
The edge will have less tone contributing from the wood. The more the wood is involved, the less the sustain. But FR trems, since they float, have lots of other variables.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #48
Manager / RHLC ©

skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.skinhead is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The wing affects the tone and the sustain on the instrument, just when you have more wood. That's why they use other type of woods.

Back to da 'hood (sevenstring.org)
skinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #49
The Flip-Flopper

Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Codyyy is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
When I used to try neck through guitars in guitar stores, I thought, once I get one of these, I'll never go back. Who would have guessed... I have a neck through and I'm currently saving up for a bolt on guitar. = less bright tone
Codyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #50
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyyy View Post
When I used to try neck through guitars in guitar stores, I thought, once I get one of these, I'll never go back. Who would have guessed... I have a neck through and I'm currently saving up for a bolt on guitar. = less bright tone
When you get a seven you will want that bright tone back.