homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #26
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Nah, you suggested the Potbelly because you love ESP.
and that it's way better than the singlecut shape

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #27
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-EJ915 View Post
and that it's way better than the singlecut shape
Actually, while I don't generally like doublecut shapes (I've never liked the SG), this is vaguely strattier than most doublecut LP types - one of the more attractive I've seen.

My point still stands, though.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #28
NDG
SS Contributor

NDG is just really niceNDG is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Personally I'd go with a Hamer Monaco if I was looking for an LP-esque guitar. They're usual not that bad (price wise) on ebay.

The Potbelly looks like a less ugly version of the Schecter Tempest.
NDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #29
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahathera View Post
Personally I'd go with a Hamer Monaco if I was looking for an LP-esque guitar. They're usual not that bad (price wise) on ebay.

The Potbelly looks like a less ugly version of the Schecter Tempest.
the Tempest is a ripoff of the Potbelly I still don't understand why ESP put the new "H" headstock on the LTD potbellys when the potbelly has its own headstock (see pic drew posted).

əBCAir
Unread 02-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #30
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Did you just accuse someone of ripping off ESP, instead of the other way around?

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #31
Resident Gangsta

GH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
gibson owns prs. even though your still paying for the name i feel gibson is the better name to own.
GH0STrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #32

Nick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH0STrider View Post
gibson owns prs. even though your still paying for the name i feel gibson is the better name to own.
Well as you know Ive done the Gibson thing and Id like to try something else. Either way its gonna cost alot. So what. $ is $. Besides your gonna wanna comeover and play anyway!

When the world flips you a Jeffery, stroke a furry wall
Nick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #33
Resident Gangsta

GH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud ofGH0STrider has much to be proud of
not if you buy a prs. im staying on my side of the hood in that case. .... spending that kind of cash for a name. you can spend a quarter of that on a prestige ibanez or something and it will rock just as hard. what is it with you anyway? are you on a mission to own one of every guitar brand out there? stick with what works hommie.
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #34

Nick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to allNick1 is a name known to all
Im pondering PRS because I want an solid mahogany body guitar with a maple or mahogany set neck 2 hums 3 way toggle and 1 vol/1 tone 22-24 Jumbo fret Rosewood or Ebony board and a stop bar and locking tuners. Thats a PRS or LP. But the only LP Id want is an LP Custom. Thats $3000.00. No Thanks! (an LP Standard would be cool but those tuners suck and Id have to reroute for the new ones and that would kill the resale value). PRS has locking tuners already on it. I can get a USA PRS for less than $1500.00 with those specs. (JC is gonna be a PRS dealer soon) Thats a good price for a top quality USA made guitar. Plus I can pay it off over 6 months at JCs and I dont think I can do that many other places. And Id like a 25.5" or 25" Scale. PRS is 25 and 25.5. All LPs are 24.75". I dont have my mind 100% set on PRS but it seems to be what Im looking for in my next guitar.

Id say maybe a Dean Hardtail but that upper cutaway is kinda gay.

Actually this guitar is quite hot! Even though its not exactly what Im looking for (ie the scale length other than that its great!)

ESP
1- 2007 MODELS !
ECLIPSE-II VINTAGE WHITE w/ EMG
New
Set-neck
24 3/4" Scale
Mahogany w/Maple Top
Bone/42MM nut
22 XJ
Thin U profile
Flags inlay
Aged triple white (B/H),Aged White(N)
EMG 81/60
Gold Hardware
Gotoh magnum lock tuners
Vol,Vol,Tone, Toggle
Matte Finish
Priced less case
List Price: $1,869.00
Sale Price: $1,399.00

Last edited by Nick1; 02-09-2007 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 02-09-2007, 02:37 AM   #35
LACS Lover

nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
you can spend a quarter of that on a prestige ibanez or something and it will rock just as hard.

I was thinking the same way until I've got my first PRS Custom 22.
nikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #36
<3's Tsukasa

Even if it plays a snice, a prestige Ibanez will never sound like a PRS...

əBCAir
Unread 02-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #37
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Yeah well I've played dozens of PRS, and some of them are nice but I'd still take a Carvin any day over an overpriced PRS. An all mahogany DC727 w/ an ebony board, quilt top, sperzels, etc just went on ebay for $460 (which is a ....ing travesty, people really don't have a clue). I'll take 10 of those over some run of the mill PRS.

No one is doubting PRS can sound good, but so can't most guitars. You know you can just buy PRS pickups seperately... it's not like their construction methods or materials used are that high quality that you couldn't get a similar sound anywhere. The only thing unique about them is their pickups, just like a Gibson more or less.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #38
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
.... spending that kind of cash for a name.
And you think you're not spending a ....load of cash on the Gibson name?

Go pick up a Tokai Love Rock sometime... you may find that it absolutely smokes your Gibson in quality, and it costs a fraction of the price.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #39
Mr. Flibble

the.godfather is a glorious beacon of lightthe.godfather is a glorious beacon of lightthe.godfather is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Go pick up a Tokai Love Rock sometime... you may find that it absolutely smokes your Gibson in quality, and it costs a fraction of the price.
I definitely second that, the Tokai Love Rock's are great guitars. Both the Japanese and Korean made models are meant to be brilliant in terms of build and overall quality. Thats what you get if you want a good, new, les paul.
the.godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #40
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbloth View Post
Yeah well I've played dozens of PRS, and some of them are nice but I'd still take a Carvin any day over an overpriced PRS. An all mahogany DC727 w/ an ebony board, quilt top, sperzels, etc just went on ebay for $460 (which is a ....ing travesty, people really don't have a clue). I'll take 10 of those over some run of the mill PRS.
I was going to grab that guitar too, but I figured I could just put that ~500 towards the custom one I want to have built with a trem! Should have just bought it for now.... bah I need to get paid more! lol

Rig: PRS -> Kemper -> Atomic CLR
First time in a while I've been THIS happy with my tone!
HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #41
Resident Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
And you think you're not spending a ....load of cash on the Gibson name?

tone and guitar prefrences are subjective. and if you can read i said your paying for the gibson name too. i said i prefer gibson over a prs anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1 View Post
Im pondering PRS because I want an solid mahogany body guitar with a maple or mahogany set neck 2 hums 3 way toggle and 1 vol/1 tone 22-24 Jumbo fret Rosewood or Ebony board and a stop bar and locking tuners. Thats a PRS or LP. But the only LP Id want is an LP Custom. Thats $3000.00. No Thanks! (an LP Standard would be cool but those tuners suck and Id have to reroute for the new ones and that would kill the resale value). PRS has locking tuners already on it. I can get a USA PRS for less than $1500.00 with those specs. (JC is gonna be a PRS dealer soon) Thats a good price for a top quality USA made guitar. Plus I can pay it off over 6 months at JCs and I dont think I can do that many other places. And Id like a 25.5" or 25" Scale. PRS is 25 and 25.5. All LPs are 24.75". I dont have my mind 100% set on PRS but it seems to be what Im looking for in my next guitar.

Id say maybe a Dean Hardtail but that upper cutaway is kinda gay.

Actually this guitar is quite hot! Even though its not exactly what Im looking for (ie the scale length other than that its great!)
dude that esp is pretty hot. i like the finish. jc has a payment plan like that??? is that just for you cause you buy something from him everymonth or does he do that for everyone? does he charge interest?

Last edited by GH0STrider; 02-09-2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 02-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #42
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
PRS is pretty good. i wanted a custom 24, but the LP studio was abuot... 2500$ cheaper BEFORE tax :P...stupid canadian price difference and the PRS costing 4K...
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #43

Quote:
tone and guitar prefrences are subjective. and if you can read i said your paying for the gibson name too. i said i prefer gibson over a prs anyday.

dude that esp is pretty hot. i like the finish. jc has a payment plan like that??? is that just for you cause you buy something from him everymonth or does he do that for everyone? does he charge interest?
Not just for me. No interest.

Unread 02-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #44
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
For the kind of money you spend on a PRS, I rather go get a McNaught that smokes it.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
For the kind of money you spend on a PRS, I rather go get a McNaught that smokes it.

Unread 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #46
LACS Lover

nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/nikt is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I'm sick and don't feel too well ,so my thoughts about PRS and other guitars I will leave for the other day

Nick1: Did You seen Washburn Idol series from USA Custom Shop. I think they are cheaper then Gibson and PRS. and I'm sure the quality is as good. I've owned PTK Washburn. Bought if for cheap in mint condition and it was just awsome.

check them up. if You like the design and spec, and don't want to put too much money try to find a used one (mayne on boogiestreet forum or else where)
nikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #47
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Quote:
? Dave is right, McNaught is top notch stuff. PRS is fairly run of the mill.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #48
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Um, not to be a dick, but if you're going to disagree with his opinion, could you maybe post a little more of a response than ? that's just kind of rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rules
Be considerate. This is a music forum, and as such opinions will vary. Everyone is entitled to theirs. Remember this, and if you are going to critique someone's work, do it politely and constructively. Please treat other forum members with respect. This is a lightly moderated forum, and while this gives us a laid back environment with a strong sense of community, it is only possible with a mature, respectful attitude present from all forum members. Treating members of this community with a lack of respect or being outright offensive to forum members will at best result in a firm warning, and at worst a suspension and possible banning. Remember, if you wouldn't want someone saying it to you, you probably shouldn't say it to anyone else.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Um, not to be a dick, but if you're going to disagree with his opinion, could you maybe post a little more of a response than ? that's just kind of rude.
I just didnt like what I saw when I clicked the link nor what they offered. Meh.

Nikt
I dont like washburns at all.

Unread 02-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #50
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post

I was first exposed to McNaught through the Splawn forum. Everyone who has one seems to love them. I agree they seem better than what PRS is now.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote