homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By splinter8451
  • 7 Post By bob123
  • 1 Post By rvoteary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

mniel8195 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone played rg550 20th

If so what do you think of them?
mniel8195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

maxz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
my old one sounds way better-good luck tryn to get parts.P.U.s dont sound same as well/neck seems wider 2/. ive taken my middle p.u. out it really opened up the sustain & accustic qualitys- but my comparision was based on stock set up w/ mid p.u. in gtr. luv the 550 my fav ibanez.mine has the maple frt board v8 pu
maxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Philip N is a jewel in the rough
Was wondering the same thing recently! I got MAJOR gas for one!

philip
Philip N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

splinter8451 is a glorious beacon of lightsplinter8451 is a glorious beacon of lightsplinter8451 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxz View Post
my old one sounds way better-good luck tryn to get parts.P.U.s dont sound same as well/neck seems wider 2/. ive taken my middle p.u. out it really opened up the sustain & accustic qualitys- but my comparision was based on stock set up w/ mid p.u. in gtr. luv the 550 my fav ibanez.mine has the maple frt board v8 pu
English?

---

I've played the 20th a few times in shops and I was never really impressed with it compared to the original 550's.

I own a 1991 RG550DX and it is my favorite guitar at the moment.

I say try and get an original 550 in okay/good condition, they can be had for cheap!

"And I want a blowjob from Emma Watson, but sometimes we just gotta deal with what we're given!" -The Armada

my youtube channel- http://www.youtube.com/user/vitreusMD?feature=mhum SikTh, Cyclamen After the Burial covers. More on the way!
splinter8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxz View Post

Dude, Im not a grammar nazi, but this is damn near unacceptable. Please speak like an adult, and not some tweenager on their cell phone.

That said, the 20th's are probably the "better" instrument, although they lack a certain vibe. The neck shape is pretty much the same, the pups are similar (both stock sets are pretty bad, but I put old V's above new ones for sure)

The big benefit of the 20th is the laminate necks. These old 1 peice scarf joint necks are pretty prone to warping and breaking, and the laminates should last forever.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Mine's awesome.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Raptus regaliter

IbanezDaemon is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/IbanezDaemon is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/IbanezDaemon is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/IbanezDaemon is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/IbanezDaemon is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/IbanezDaemon is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/IbanezDaemon is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They are damn good guitars imo and I've owned a myriad of 550 models. You can't go wrong with any of them really, from '87-'07, fine guitars and punch way above their weight.

"Because I got no feel - I got no emotion
My riffs aren't real - I just go through the motions"
IbanezDaemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Cocaine Enthusiast

rvoteary is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a 20th in DY and an '87 Roadflare 550 and they're fairly similar. I'd have to say the '87 is a little better as far as tone and feel are concerned (the neck is thinner/it sounds beastly) but the 20th is built rock solid.
IbanezDaemon likes this.
rvoteary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

jl-austin is a jewel in the rough
I owned 2, I got rid of them because I did not care for the titanium rods in the neck. They felt "dead" to me. It was a very strong neck, very solid, however, I prefer a neck to resonate a little more than those.

Other than that, great guitars.

Revelation 20:12
jl-austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

feilong29 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have had both, and currently have a 1990 rg550 due to being on a budget; I'd take the 20th reissue anyday! Just smoother in feel, especially the neck, and the pups sound much better imo.
feilong29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #11
EBMM/Lundgren Fanboy

WSchaferJR is just really niceWSchaferJR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Incrdible guitars, I have to dimarzio tone zones and a fs-1 in mine, great for shred among other things.
WSchaferJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #12
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by feilong29 View Post
I have had both, and currently have a 1990 rg550 due to being on a budget; I'd take the 20th reissue anyday! Just smoother in feel, especially the neck, and the pups sound much better imo.
pups and neck are the same dude.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
axe/vox terrorizer

Semi-pro is just really niceSemi-pro is just really nice
I've got the Road Flare Red one. It is awesome. The sleekest neck i know, maybe even a bit too thin although i thought i'd like as thin as possible. Just installed a crunch lab to the bridge and it slays! In your face and warm, yet the maple neck/fretboard adds a little clear highs. Totally recommendable!

Too bad I'm gas'n for the RGD 7 string and this would be my 1st to go...

http://www.facebook.com/Humavoid
Bitchin' riffs & piano hooks! Debut out now and available on iTunes & Spotify!
Mayones Setius GTM Custom Baritone 7 + Mark V <3
Semi-pro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
(((Ω)))

simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.
I have a '89 in RFR and it's awesome. The anniversary models are certainly gonna be built to higher standards, so I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.
simonXsludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I dug the one at guitar center. Played like a 550.

Nothing to crazy, not to shabby. JUST RIGHT

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #16
I'm old school

Jason2112 is just really niceJason2112 is just really nice
I had an all original '87 550 and a 20th 550 and I liked the '87 much better. The frets were bigger back then and the older V1/V2 pickups sounded better to my ears. The neck on the '87 did feel thinner though I never measured it to be sure. Over time I sold both guitars due to the thin necks causing me pain in my wrist, but I really wish I could have kept that '87. You really can't go wrong either way but if you have a chance to get an early 550 for a good price, I'd go that route.
Jason2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
Cocaine Enthusiast

rvoteary is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
pups and neck are the same dude.
They're only the same on paper.
rvoteary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

mishabasi is a jewel in the rough
I tried one in the store. It had low action and easy playability but "felt" sterile to me. As far as a cheap Ibanez goes, nothing feels as good in my hands as my '05 RG350DX. That Wizard II neck kills!

I didn't even get a good test of the tone. The Neon DR strings sound dull right out of the package. It's a shame. Would have preferred a set of D'addario's... or anything... If it's coated, Elixer is the only way to go.

DISREGARD.... I mistook this thread for the 25th anniversary models...
mishabasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 105 reviews
The anniversary models are built in the same factory by the same company, so I don't think it's certain that they'll be built better or differently than the originals....

..but anyway, I've owned several of the 20th's, and they were all awesome. The best one, by far, was the black one with the rosewood board - I had a set of Dimarzio Evolutions in it, and not only did it sound infuriated, it played like a perfect workhorse should. I recommend them, but I suggest that you get a good setup done to it, as you should with any Ibanez.

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I owned one - great guitar, just barely used.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote