homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Tr00 and Kvlt

Grack is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any info on this ESP Alexi 'custom'?

As always, my apologies if this has been brought up, I checked but didn't find anything.

Anyway, so I've recently fallen romantically in love with the Alexi/SV model guitar and found this while dicking around in the Guitar Center used gear section.

It appears to be an real-deal ESP Alexi, minus the pinstripes. The ad claims it to be a custom, but of course nothing further than that. It does spark my fancy, and I would want to buy it, but I would hate to get it and it possibly turn out to be a bolt-on 200 someone had mocked up to look like a real ESP.

I've seen it on the site months before, but IIRC, it disappeared for a while. Not entirely sure.

Any thoughts?

HERE'S THE LINK
Grack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Hard to tell from that crappy pic, but it looks real. Looks like an ebony board. Even seems to have the booster switch. Why not call and ask? They have a return policy. You could always return it if it wasn't the real deal. $1000 would be a steal as an Alexi custom would be well over $3000.
HeHasTheJazzHands and Grack like this.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
#BomfunkMC'sComeback

Don Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to behold
Really not sure what to say.....

It looks like an Alexi 200 with an ESP logo on it.
BucketheadRules likes this.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
peace

Fat-Elf is just really niceFat-Elf is just really nice
There is something very fishy about that guitar. As far I know ESP has never made a Laiho-model without the pinstripes unlike the LTD which has the Alexi-200 model without the pinstripes. Very confusing as the ESPs are neck-thrus so I can't understand how someone could have just slammed an ESP neck into a LTD. Anyhow, I wouldn't take the risk. Especially if you can't have a closer look into that guitar before you buy it.
Fat-Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
It easily could just have an ESP logo stuck on the headstock, but as I said it looks like it has. an ebony board. It could possibly be a custom as ESP will do sig models in any color you want in the custom shop. It's at a GC store, just call them and ask about it.
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Pat_tct is a jewel in the rough
I owned the esp ltd alexi 200 in white.
this is the only guitar esp made, that does noth ave the pinstripes afaik.

i wouldnt take the risk.
Pat_tct is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Tr00 and Kvlt

The guitar also has the cutaway of an ESP. As you can see, the Alexi-200 has little to no cutaway.

Definitely going to look into this, would be an interesting find if it indeed is a custom.
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
#BomfunkMC'sComeback

Don Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to behold
Damn, nice observation.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
It could be this:

As you can see from the following pics, depending on the angle, the pinstripes are hard to make out:

The problem is, with a shitty, low-quality pic, you can't tell whether that really is black paint or the deep gray. Best bet is to call and inquire.

That's the closest match I can come up with.

Here are the specs if you decide to call and do some sleuthing:

Neck-Thru Construction
25.5" Scale
Alder Body
Maple 3 Piece Neck
Black Pearl Binding
Ebony Fingerboard
Sawtootch Inlays
Scalloped on 21-24 Fret
42mm Locking Nut
24 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
Gotoh Tuners
Original Floyd Rose Bridge
EMG HZ-FH2 (B) p.u.
Master Volume
MM-04 Gain Boost Switch

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Putin's Invader, lol

DrBloodyJack is a jewel in the rough
looks like a copy to me. not Laiho's style
But it can be some kind of a prototype that Alexy had before signing a contract with ESP
DrBloodyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
Turd Ferguson

It could be a bad pic of a Blacky as well. If you have the cash I would call and find out. If I did at the moment I would have called already.
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

MrRCJ is on a distinguished road
I would call before somebody else does if you're really interested. The pic is total crap but it looks real IMO.
MrRCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
The inlays don't look like the abalone though, they look like just standard inlay material along with the finish itself showing up as jet black instead of some variation/offshoot - unless their lighting really is THAT bad

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Ashes Of Rebirth

iRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This seems like a step down from his other models (cosmetically)
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would ask them a lot of questions, IIWY.

Neck thru?
Serial number?
ESP case?
etc...

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #16
Tr00 and Kvlt

I hardly think it's a blacky. I mean, it would have to be a REALLY bad picture for it to be so. I email GC yuesterday and they gave me the number for the Hollywood location selling it, I plan on calling today after work.
Knyas likes this.
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Octaves of Manhattan

wespaul is just really nicewespaul is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Man, Guitar Center can't take a decent picture to save their life. It's always low resolution crap with usually no kind of description at all. It's like they're not even trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchecterWhore View Post
Intervals aren't the shortcut, they are The Way.
wespaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wespaul View Post
Man, Guitar Center can't take a decent picture to save their life. It's always low resolution crap with usually no kind of description at all. It's like they're not even trying.

When I was looking for an RG7321 a month ago, I found one on Guitarcenter for $200. I couldn't tell if it was the Hipshot-style or the Gibralter bridge because of how small the picture was.
HeHasTheJazzHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

xxvicarious is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats a good lookin' AL-200!
xxvicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

Bastian93 is on a distinguished road
it's definitley not a Alexi 200 because of the cutaway (and the ebony fb ?)

If it's a real ESP Custom Alexi and not a fake one there are three possibilities:
- old model/prototyp
- a custom shop guitar for a Alexi fan who wanted a guitar without the pinstripes
- a refinished guitar

Either way it would be a great deal for that little money !

Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Vox Tonelab LE
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Bastian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
Pardon my french

Andromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud of
I don'( know specifically about that guitar, but ESP does a lot fo small 12 pces runs for Japanese shops, I have an ESP RR with Jackson shark tooth inlays for exemple. It doesn't have the CS logo but I have the manufacturing card with date of build etc.

So it's entirely possible that guitar is a "custom order" run of some sort based off a SV body. Likely not a one-of CS order but a 6/12 order from a shop is a definite possibility.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

RV350ALSCYTHE is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've got an ESP custom shop Alexi Scythe guitar and the body is different than what is pictured. I haven't kept up to date on what ESP has done since with Alexi's guitar line, but the model I have is an RV, isn't the SV a clone they made to legally market Alexi Guitars in America? Because the Roads shape is owned by Jackson/Fender?

The headstock is identical to mine. Though I have a Custom Shop circle decal on the back and on the front below ESP it also says Custom Shop. It's an older model before the booster was added.

Al NiCotin likes this.
RV350ALSCYTHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
Tr00 and Kvlt

^Damn that is nice.

For the guitar in question, it IS an ESP Alexi, but not a custom. Custom in the sense someone attempted to mod it.

Turns out it's just an ESP Alexi with the solid yellow pinstrip that the previous owner tried to remove from the front of the guitar, half-assed. The only way I would consider buying this is if I could work the price down to may 700-800, but even then, you know. Definitely not worth 1K.

Here's some pix the guitar tech sent me:

You can still see pieces of the yellow stripe. It looks like someone tried to paint over it with MS Paint.

Some gnarly bangs

If I wanted an Alexi with the yellow pinstripe, I would have snagged the one they had up a few days ago that was in good condition. Now if it had the hollow, outline pinstripe...
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #24
Turd Ferguson

Wow. That's a shame.
Unread 06-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #25
Pardon my french

Andromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud of
Offer them 500$.
Bigfan and Grack like this.
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote