homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By bob123
  • 1 Post By JStraitiff
  • 1 Post By bob123
  • 2 Post By bob123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Store dilemma

Ok... so I bought an "american standard" stratocaster today. I paid 449, but after discounts it was ~400 out the door. GREAT price for it.

Post some pictures on chat, and it turns out its a Highway 1 strat. This makes me incredibly angry. I feel like returning it, out of principle. On the flipside, its one of the best playing/sounding strats Ive ever played and its still american strat for 400$..

Im thinking I need to bring it up there and "WTF?!" them. Some think I should eat it and smile. Am I out of line being pissed??? c
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
sweet little lolita.

Brill is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Definitely Get annoyed at the store, False advertising is Illegal
Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxodrome View Post
Definitely Get annoyed at the store, False advertising is Illegal
I dont think theyh did it on purpose, but I definitely feel like I need to "WTF" them.

I feel childish too, I know 400$ is a great price for a hwy 1, but still, the tag said "American Standard" and thats what I expected.

this would be OH so much easier if this guitar didnt play and sound amazing haha.
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
I dont think theyh did it on purpose, but I definitely feel like I need to "WTF" them.

I feel childish too, I know 400$ is a great price for a hwy 1, but still, the tag said "American Standard" and thats what I expected.

this would be OH so much easier if this guitar didnt play and sound amazing haha.
What store was it? I'm in Michigan too, so I'm curious.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
What store was it? I'm in Michigan too, so I'm curious.
guitar center , kzoo.
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
guitar center , kzoo.
Ah. Well, color me slightly unsurprised. They had a few mislabeled and overpriced/underpriced gear last time I was in there.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
Ah. Well, color me slightly unsurprised. They had a few mislabeled and overpriced/underpriced gear last time I was in there.
My wife is firends with the GM, so Im sure they will "fix it" but its still annoying

I feel like im being a whiny ass hole, but I paid for a certain item and got something else, I dunno.....

lol just noticed, traverse city! youre WAY up there broseph!
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Banned

think im just gonna bring it up and "WTF" them and see what happens :p

wish me luck! :p
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
There's only one GC in Chicago, right? I bought a JP in there. Nice store, if you can dodge the Reps and be left alone; less talking more time to buy guitars!

There's also a good Sushi restaurant on the way back to the loop / train.

Note; Chicago GC is the only GC I've ever been to in America, just thought I'd give it a .
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
the price should have made you think it was a little sketchy probably, unless it said it was a blow out 50 percent off sale or something like that right?
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG View Post
the price should have made you think it was a little sketchy probably, unless it said it was a blow out 50 percent off sale or something like that right?
Price doesnt bug me. I've bought 1500$ guitars for 600$ at guitar center before. I don't know much about fenders honestly, so I had to take their word. ONLY reason I found out its a highway 1 is its a rare color and I tried to find out what it is.
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #12
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Since it's a GC, it's really hard to say that the tag was deliberately misleading- it was probably a genuine error. Despite the Highway 1's reputation and attractive price point, they kind of fly under the radar, and whomever stocked it probably saw it was MIA and tagged it as the most common MIA model.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
Since it's a GC, it's really hard to say that the tag was deliberately misleading- it was probably a genuine error. Despite the Highway 1's reputation and attractive price point, they kind of fly under the radar, and whomever stocked it probably saw it was MIA and tagged it as the most common MIA model.
Oh If I thought it was deliberate on any level, Id take it back, get my money and NEVER shop there again.

I just think I paid for an "american standard" so they need to fix this. I can get a NEW highway 1 for not a whole bunch more money then what I paid.
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
Banned

....in squeaky wheel gets the grease man

I go up there and talk to the guitar manager there. He was super apologetic and asked me I wanted a refund, or how I wanted to go about it. He got the GM involved, who then says "So do you like this guitar?" I say yeah, thats what bummed me about it. "Well, heres what we can do. I sold you an american standard, so you can go pick a different one off the wall, or I can take some money off this one for you"....

They had several, but one in particular caught my eye. A wine red 40th anniversary.

I play it and it sounds and plays great. He comes up asks me If I want that one.... kicker, it comes with a case!! Its in near mint condition too.

Quite pleased with guitar center and how this turned out. ONLY DOWNFALL, the guitar is on police hold until thursday haha :p I will survive...

edit : heres a couple pictures, Ill be doinga NGD obviously... :p

Unread 06-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Price doesnt bug me. I've bought 1500$ guitars for 600$ at guitar center before. I don't know much about fenders honestly, so I had to take their word. ONLY reason I found out its a highway 1 is its a rare color and I tried to find out what it is.
It's good to research Fender a bit before purchasing, because there's usually not that much that sets them apart from eachother on first glance.
I guess the Highway One said Made in Mexico on the headstock? At least it should have. It also has the large 70's headstock, which none of the standards have.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel View Post
It's good to research Fender a bit before purchasing, because there's usually not that much that sets them apart from eachother on first glance.
I guess the Highway One said Made in Mexico on the headstock? At least it should have. It also has the large 70's headstock, which none of the standards have.
*sigh..

Heres the highway 1, of which you should do some research on too apparently.

Unread 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
id be embarrassed that i didnt know the difference before i bought it.

If its a good guitar and a good price for the guitar it is then whatever. Let it be. You got a deal.
MrRCJ likes this.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
*sigh..

Heres the highway 1, of which you should do some research on too apparently.
Well, .... did I know that they came with normal headstocks too. Every single one I've seen has had the 70's. They only have the 70's model on the official Fender website too.

http://www.fender.com/en-SE/products...tno=0111162306

And my bad that I thought they were made in Mexico.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel View Post
Well, .... did I know that they came with normal headstocks too. Every single one I've seen has had the 70's. They only have the 70's model on the official Fender website too.

And my bad that I thought they were made in Mexico.
Its all good Theres a reason everyone thought it was a normal american strat haha It looks the part for the most part.

All in all I got a really good deal out of it, so Im VERY happy with this :p

Murmel likes this.
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStraitiff View Post
id be embarrassed that i didnt know the difference before i bought it.

If its a good guitar and a good price for the guitar it is then whatever. Let it be. You got a deal.
no.
Swyse and JStraitiff like this.
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #21
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
The Highway One guitars are made in the USA so there was no false advertising it IS an American Stratocaster... Also the price should have told you it wasn't an American Standard or better as they never go that cheap.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
Yep, the Highway One guitars are made in the USA so there was no false advertising it IS an American Stratocaster... Also the price should have told you it wasn't an American Standard or better as they never go that cheap.
Well, the store ....ed up, and they fixed it.

It was sold to me as an AMERICAN STANDARD. Not simply an "American". Im far from a fender guy, but now I know.

edit: if you shop around guitar center for a while, you will begin to learn that price doesnt mean shit there lol. 400 for an american standard isnt outlandish, especially when they have several used ones on the wall.
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Well, the store ....ed up, and they fixed it.

It was sold to me as an AMERICAN STANDARD. Not simply an "American". Im far from a fender guy, but now I know.

edit: if you shop around guitar center for a while, you will begin to learn that price doesnt mean shit there lol. 400 for an american standard isnt outlandish, especially when they have several used ones on the wall.
Yup if it was labeled as an American Standard and it's a Highway One they did screw up. Glad to see they fixed it for you, that's pretty sweet

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
Yup if it was labeled as an American Standard and it's a Highway One they did screw up. Glad to see they fixed it for you, that's pretty sweet
Thanks I was expecting a 10% coupon or a gift certificate or something. They definitely stepped up here.