homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By snowblind56
  • 1 Post By dan0151

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

BBTOtyler is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jim Root Tele. Squier v.s Fender

Hey guys, looking into buying a jim root tele, playing metal/hardcore through a 5150 into an orange 412. Aside from the pickups and the name, what do you guys think of the difference from the squier and fender?

Let me know what you guys think! open to any input.
BBTOtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Breakdown is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The fretboard wood, hardware, Made in USA vs Made in china, and while they both say mahogany the mahogany used in the MIA version is probably of higher quality and a different species than on a Chinese guitar. I've played some of the newer squiers and im just going to let you know right now the fretwork and tuning stability on these guitars isn't very good. In the end as the saying goes you get what you pay for man.
Breakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
You'll get bored of the Squier. It isn't a "guitar for life" and you'll eventually want to change it for something better. Not all Squiers are like that - some of them are easily as good as cheaper Fenders, but the Jim Root isn't like that.

It's definitely worth saving for a while longer and getting a Fender. You won't feel the urge to upgrade to something better after a few months.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

I_CUM_BLOOD is a jewel in the rough
Get the Jim Root MIA Fender if you can afford it. You will be more satisfied and concentrate more on actually practising and playing music than gassing on whether you should upgrade from the squier to the fender.

Anyway, better hardware and workmanship really does make a significant difference to the tone and playability of the guitar. check out both at your local store and compare it.

EDIT: I'd probably get it used if there's one for sale. you can save a ton buying used.
I_CUM_BLOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

snowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Isn't the Jim Root Tele MIM? I thought the Jim Root Strat was USA.
AkiraSpectrum likes this.
snowblind56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

dan0151 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yes tele is MIM and the strat is MIA
AkiraSpectrum likes this.
dan0151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Breakdown is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind56 View Post
Isn't the Jim Root Tele MIM? I thought the Jim Root Strat was USA.
My bad I just saw that the strat was MIA and assumed the tele was too.
Breakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Definitely save up for the proper Fender. They play amazing and are definitely worth the money.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
I'm always... hungry

danger5oh is just really nicedanger5oh is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
I used to own a Fender JR Tele... I've regretted selling it every day since. I haven't seen or played the Squire to compare, but I can tell you that the Fender version was worth every penny. Gosh, I miss her...
danger5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

jake7doyle is on a distinguished road
THe fender tele was incredible, part of me still regrets selling it to this day. i wasnt aware of an squire version though, hopefully ill try one out soon
jake7doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Resident Cherokee

mr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to behold
ya gotta try each one there are some real dogs and there are some real players between them all,I played some mia,mim and squiers that are embarasment to fender,but on the same hand I have played quite a few squiers that were real keepers.
don`t trust mailorder when deciding on a fender.

I started out with Nothing,I still got some left...
mr_rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
More Productive

fitterhappier is a jewel in the rough
Definitely save up for the Fender model. And - I would take it a step further and say go for the MIA strat.

My first guitar was a MIM Tele. I've had it for nearly 11 years now, and it's a great guitar. Never had any issues with it, and it gets better with each day. But I purchased my first MIA Fender a few months back ('04 Tele HH), and as good as the MIM is, the MIA is in a class of its own. Everything about it is just perfect. The MIA's have some serious mojo. If you're dead set on a Tele, then get the MIM Root, but I would seriously consider the MIA. Like BucketHead said, the MIAs are seriously guitars for life.

Or - you could always go find a used MIA Tele and just hot-rod it with new pickups?
fitterhappier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Sweeps and Chugs

Dawn of the Shred is just really niceDawn of the Shred is just really nice
mia is better but squier aint bad man.

Fender Jim Root Stratocaster-Black
Fender Jim Root Stratocaster-White(incoming)
Fender Jim Root Telecaster-Black
Fender MIA Fat Strat-White
Orange TT15JR
Orange Jim Root PPC2x12
Orange Crush CR60C 1x12
Maxon 808 OD
ISP Decimater
Boss RC-3
Dawn of the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
kvlt

7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold7deadlysins666 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The American model has a charvel neck profile and is a NICE heavy slab of mahogany. I didn't get along with it because I just like real Tele's, but it was a nice axe and the neck was awesome.
7deadlysins666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
For some reason, Squier guitars can be hit or miss, but the basses they've been offering for the 5 yrs or so are pretty consistently good and a killer value.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Dude

Ghost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of lightGhost40 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I played a JR Squire, certainly not the worst playing tele. However, it doesn't compare to the Fender JR tele. Save your money.
Ghost40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Not The Dude...

Chris O is a glorious beacon of lightChris O is a glorious beacon of lightChris O is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I had a pair of Fender JR Teles. They were alright. Just alright though. I'm unimpressed by EMG's, the ebony board on the white one was very thin, and the fret work was average at best. Personally, I'd look at Charvel. The necks feel better for sure (the JR was pretty hefty - almost Les Paul-ish), the import Charvel fret work is amazing, and I've never been a fan of Fender style bridges.
Chris O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
I suck at guitar.

ConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of lightConnorGilks is a glorious beacon of light
It's funny you say that as I got to try both the other day. I honestly think the $300 Squire plays and sounds like a $700 guitar. I was EXTREMELY impressed. That being said I think you'd want to go with the "real" Fender with that, as it seems like the kind of guitar that is awesome, and you'll keep as a backup forever, but never as a main guitar. Does that help at all? Hope that makes sense.
ConnorGilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
ss.org Regular

WAHFReismiller is headed in the right direction.
The only reason I am going with the Squire is because I'm swapping out all the hardware and pickup. The body is about the only thing I really want out of it. Im swapping it for an ebony neck, I am putting in Lace Deathbucker pickup in it. I am replacing the pot with a 500 Super pot. I am replacing the tuner wish Locking black and red tuners. I mean, I know I can get most of this from the fender. But i can save so much more money if I build it myself. Then it will be MY guitar. That I will want for a live time. That is the only reason I decided to go with the squire.
WAHFReismiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
Djizz.

Tom 1.0 is just really niceTom 1.0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You can't change bad body wood.

Get the Fender.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Banned

knifefightintheor is a jewel in the rough