homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Loomer
  • 1 Post By Nautilus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
NGD! BKP'd Ibanez inside.

So, yesterday a stupidly good deal came up on my local used market so of course I had to snag it. It's an Indo-made S520EX, and the real treat is, that it had a pair of Ceramic War Pigs installed already! Pretty neat!

I have had my S7420 as my main axe since forever, so I guess it was high time I got a little sister for it. Anyway, here are the pictures:

Sisters.
Loomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
OOOAAARWWWRR

Wookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice find man. Grats! warpigs =

Randall V2 / Titan + RS412XLT100
Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen, OLP MM5 bass

http://www.soundcloud.com/wookieslayer
My Youtube channel - Gear demos and stuff
Wookieslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
More gear than sense

Dionysian is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sweeeeeet!
Dionysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

marked is a jewel in the rough
do you know if they had to rout the pickup cavity to fit the BKP's in?

Rad steal though
marked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
(((Ω)))

shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.
Always liked those, because they didn't have the neck PU and seemed like decent guitars anyways.
shitsøn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Lefty supremacist

Nautilus is a jewel in the rough
in my experince the housing/legs for BKPs have generally tended to be a tad on the large side. I've retrofitted 3 sets of BKPs on three different guitars and have yet to grab a set that has fit without any alterations.

That said: congrats, I love Ibanez! HNGD man...and the S shapes are my personal favourite of the lot <3
marked likes this.

Nautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Nice axe

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yeah, I saw that on DBA too. I was tempted, but I just bought some home electronics so I wasn't in the mood for spending... Good thing I know it was snagged by someone who'll at least appreciate it.
Pikka Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
#BomfunkMC'sComeback

Don Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to behold
perfect
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Now, as for the sound, I am actually afraid I might have to either change the pickups or do something else. Mind you, I've only played it over my POD farm thingy at home, but it sounded a fair bit too bassy for my liking, with the same presets that sound awesome on my brighter guitars, so until I try it over my real rig, the jury's still out.
So far, I'm sort of considering yanking the tone pot out first, to see if that clears up the mush. Any other ideas?
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
If you used the same presets that sound good on your brighter guitars it makes sense that that one would sound more bassy...

Re-EQ that shit.

Unread 05-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Comfortably Dumb

Yeah, the thing was just it didn't have the same "cut" that my other War Pig-equipped guitars have. I will of course post thoughts once I get home from rehearsal.
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
on a tone quest

MAJ Meadows SF is just really niceMAJ Meadows SF is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
as .....

As far as the sound just mes with the EQ a bit, maybe the pickup height as well. BKPs are pretty height sensitive. War Pigs are very bassy, as you already know, but it just requires some tweaking to clean them up. I had to mess with the height and amp EQ settings for my maple Kramer Pacer, which has an A-Pig in the bridge. It roars now, doing great at all B and A tuned songs. Great for In Flames, Scar Symmetry, and Amon Amarth type stuff. Also, it absolutely kills at grind a la Rotten Sound and Pig Destroyer.

If you are still intent on swapping pickups, personally, I would put a C-Bomb in the bridge and Painkiller in the neck. I love that combo to death, especially in lighter, brighter guitars. A Holy Diver wouldn't be a bad option either. But of course this all depends on what you are looking for tone wise. Best of luck tone hunting!
MAJ Meadows SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomer View Post
Yeah, the thing was just it didn't have the same "cut" that my other War Pig-equipped guitars have. I will of course post thoughts once I get home from rehearsal.
Oooh... Gotcha. I think I missed the part where you said you used Warpigs in your other axes... My bad.

Unread 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
Comfortably Dumb

Crap, forgot that we don't rehearse on tuesdays anymore

Anyway, I messed around with the pickup height and polepieces, and that seems to have brightened it up a bit.
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
No longer 7-less

devolutionary is a jewel in the rough
That is a delicious inlay on that model. Never seen it before, but it's really quite fantastic. Looks damn fine with the Warpigs in it.

You know, I'm not going to hate or target you for neg. rep. if you leave your name. I'm sure I can find plenty of other reasons to hate

Stop calling it detuned. It's tuned, just not to standard. It's not a ....ing DeVries.
devolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
Sea Turtles mate

Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.Michael T is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Hell Yeah !!!!

The project that I'm working on is so secret... Even I don't know what I'm doing!

Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by devolutionary View Post
That is a delicious inlay on that model. Never seen it before, but it's really quite fantastic. Looks damn fine with the Warpigs in it.

Yeah, I've grown pretty fond of it, although mainly because it takes up so little space
But thanks dude

Also, small update: I've had this with me to rehearsal the last few times, and I must say it freakin' slays. I seriously lucked out on this deal!
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Nice!

Also, I dig your 7 string !

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

Advv is a jewel in the rough
Had a S520EX before. Played fantastically. Congrats!
Advv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Whisper into nose

Asrial is just really niceAsrial is just really nice
Wait, this was on DBA?
I didn't see it, and I browse it twice a week
But looks like a serious score! But is it just me, or doesn't it need some fret refurbishing? Seems rather rusty on those pictures, and a fretboard cleaning plus lemonoil never hurt.

HNGD, even though it's quite an old post already and I'm delayed!

The Asrial Project Bandcamp
The Asrial Project Soundcloud
The Asrial Project Twitter
The Asrial Project Facebook

JeffFromMtl: Anyone who says sex is over-rated is doing it wrong.
I don't care how good your stupid toffee brioche pudding is.
Myself: Han shot first
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
Ibanez Enthusiast

trickae is just really nicetrickae is just really nice
Man i'm with you OP on this one. The S7420 is a fantastic guitar. I can't get over it.
trickae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #23
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post
Wait, this was on DBA?
I didn't see it, and I browse it twice a week
But looks like a serious score! But is it just me, or doesn't it need some fret refurbishing? Seems rather rusty on those pictures, and a fretboard cleaning plus lemonoil never hurt.

HNGD, even though it's quite an old post already and I'm delayed!
The rusty look would be the lighting and my shitty iPhone camera The pictures were also taken before the oiling and cleaning. Trust me, that did wonders

The "honeymoon" period with this one is drawing to a close now, but I am still loving the shit out of it, so that's a good thing I guess

Considering modding it now too; Mostly just yanking out the neck pickup to make it match with my S7420. It should be fairly easy to sell the pups as a set, and I have one 6-string C-pig lying around somewhere so I can easily go with that, or a Cold Sweat, maybe.
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #24
Comfortably Dumb

Ok, so here's a small update on how it looks now: