homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Jackrat is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question about my S series

I was wondering about my truss rod. I've switched gauges and tunings but I haven't done anything to it except for adjusting the spring tension to compensate. Is my neck going to go out of whack eventually? Right now Im tuned to B with a set of 12-54's. Any opinions advice or rules of thumb?

Also I think I need to lower my action a bit, not sure how to go about that on this guit.

Oh and what kind of binding is this??

Look at all the ....s I give!
Jackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

MrHelloGuitar is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You might have to make some truss rod adjustments to compensate for some forward bow if that's what's happening. I'm pretty sure the neck binding is just plastic on those models.
MrHelloGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

After reading up a little I believe its Ivoroid.

Unread 04-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Objects in Space

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Can we see a picture of the bridge to see saddle height setting and how flat it's sitting?

Likes are good, rep is better!

SchecterWhore: Artistic voice is the same as your speaking voice.
Two people can say the same thing and come across differently in a lot of ways.
When my girlfriend and I are walking through a crowd, she squeaks "Excuse me!" and sounds cute and non-threatening.
I say "Excuse me," and the person in front of us thinks they're about to get butt-raped by Barry White.
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Sorry for the shit pictures

Unread 04-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Unread 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
Pav
???

Pav will become famous soon enough
As far as your truss rod goes, as long as you take care and pay attention to the setup of your guitar whenever you change strings/tunings, the tension should sort of balance out in the end. My main guitar for the past 10 years has been a Jackson DKMG with a less-than-stellar Jackson LFR and I've never once had to adjust the truss rod. I actually just double checked my action when I saw this thread and the neck is still totally straight, having never adjusted anything but the spring tension to compensate for a change of string gauge.

It's hard for me to tell how your bridge looks based on those pictures...your guitar has a reflective finish. Plus I'm no expert on Ibby's FR variations, so I'd want to see both the bridge and the nut before I tried to give you advice...but just off the top of my head, by guessing based on the angle of depression of your strings from the saddles, I'd say it shouldn't take more than some spring tension adjustments to drop the action a little. Lowering the entire bridge looks like you'd fall into fret buzz pretty quickly, but like I said, I'm kind of just spitballin' based on what I can see in those pictures.
Pav is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Objects in Space

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Is that as level as it's supposed to sit? I don't know where the "zero" line is for that trem but it seems like it's sitting forward a little.

Paging Max!

Likes are good, rep is better!

SchecterWhore: Artistic voice is the same as your speaking voice.
Two people can say the same thing and come across differently in a lot of ways.
When my girlfriend and I are walking through a crowd, she squeaks "Excuse me!" and sounds cute and non-threatening.
I say "Excuse me," and the person in front of us thinks they're about to get butt-raped by Barry White.
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Well its a ZR, the saddles might look like theyre sitting forward a bit because of where I keep my fine tuners. The part of the actual bridge from what I can tell that is supposed to be parallel to the body is the piece right underneath the third layer of metal under the fine tuner wheel. I just am not 100% on that. And like stated earlier I feel like if I lowered it much more I would have fret buzz. I guess I'm basically asking if my guitar is setup in proper working order but I know that is almost impossible to judge by some shitty cell phone pics :\

Unread 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Also I've discovered this little crack on my neck pocket. Is this anything to be concerned about??

Unread 04-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Pav
???

Pav will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrat View Post
And like stated earlier I feel like if I lowered it much more I would have fret buzz. I guess I'm basically asking if my guitar is setup in proper working order but I know that is almost impossible to judge by some shitty cell phone pics :\
There's sure as hell one way to find out. Adjust the springs to drop your action a little more. If you get fret buzz, re-adjust and raise it back up. Honestly, part of a guitar's setup is subjective in that not every guitarist likes the exact same level of action. If you feel like your action is high, there's no harm in trying to lower it a bit. Some people make fiddling with a floating trem out to be a death sentence, but with a little common sense, some trial and error can go a VERY long way.

And the crack looks like nothing to be worried about. At worst it's probably just something unsightly in the finish.
Pav is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrat View Post
Also I've discovered this little crack on my neck pocket. Is this anything to be concerned about??
NJFC (neck joint finish crack): so common, it has an acronym. See how thin the body wood is at that side of the neck pocket- with a tight fitting neck and the inevitability that the woods shrink and expand at different rates, that thin wood at that point will flex a little bit and many times cause the hard finish over it to crack.

Now, if you see a crack starting there and going further into the body-proper, take it to a tech.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote