homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By MaxOfMetal
  • 1 Post By silverabyss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Question Help me identify this RG...

Serial number is F0028317, making it a '00 MIJ axe, which I guess is also given away by the Lo Pro and the bubinga stripe (generally).

The pickguard and finish is throwing me off, though.

I think there's a possibility this is a sweet deal, but I must know more, so if someone has some insight I'd greatly appreciate it.
Pikka Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

areyna21 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If it is a prestige then it kinda looks like a pre team j craft 2550. The dot inlays were one of the easy to spot changes and ive only ever seen the pickguard on 2550 models. With that said i have only seen that guitar come in three colors galaxy blue, black and white.
areyna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Vaya Con Cornholio

I think those had Dimarzio/IBZ pickups and Edge Pro trems too... But my best guess is that it's definitely an RGx50 of sorts (or RGxx50, though that doesn't go with the non-Prestige nature of the thing).
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It is a 2000 RG550EXSD.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
?!

s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/s_k_mullins is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ And the Ibby oracle has spoken!

I really dig this model because of the matching headstock and pickguard. With a little TLC, this would be hot.

PRS Mark Tremonti 10-top

Music Man JPX6 (w/ roasted neck
)
Music Man JPX6 (red sparkle)
ESP Eclipse II Standard

G&L ASAT Classic

Gibson Thunderhorse Explorer

Ibanez Prestige RG3250MZ

Ibanez Premium RG920QM

PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone

EVH 5150 III -> Mesa Rectifier 212
Fender Super-Sonic 112 combo
s_k_mullins is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

Cameron Himself has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yep, basically an RG550 but with the AANJ and Super Wizard neck. If you can get it for a good deal, do it! I've never seen one in that color.
Cameron Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Vaya Con Cornholio

Wow, thanks... I was just about to go through the US and EU catalogues from 1998-2001 to weed it out.

So the general consensus is...? Is this as desirable as any other 550? Perhaps a little more due to relative rarity? Also, what's a fair price point?
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Cameron Himself has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikka Bird View Post
Wow, thanks... I was just about to go through the US and EU catalogues from 1998-2001 to weed it out.

So the general consensus is...? Is this as desirable as any other 550? Perhaps a little more due to relative rarity? Also, what's a fair price point?

Well, I think $450 would be a fair price; maybe a little less. It looks like it has some dings, etc so I wouldn't pay any more than that. In my opinion, the original 550's have that 'mojo' but I'm a big fan of the original square heel neck joints.

Overall, this would be a sweet guitar! The Edge Lo Pro is the best bridge Ibanez has made, and that's my favorite 'modern' Ibanez neck. As long as the frets look good, I would buy it.
Cameron Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's a later RG550. It's going to be worth a little less than a brightly colored, all maple neck model, but not a lot less. Honestly, rarity doesn't really effect Ibanez guitars unless you have a something really rare/different like SC, SF, CST, etc.

In the US that would probably bring anywhere from $375 to $500 depending on condition and accessories. Personally, I wouldn't pay too much north of $400 if it's in damn good condition with HSC and bar. There are plenty of similar RGs out there, some for even cheaper.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Vaya Con Cornholio

^Guess what- he's asking ~$380 for it (that's on the Danish used market which is usually 20-30% more expensive than what I see on Craigslist, etc.)

This comes at a very bad time since I really don't have the money nor the need for this, but I have a nasty habit of typing in "Ibanez" on those kinds of sites, and now look where that got me... I really don't want to let this pass.
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

areyna21 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
So its a 550 i was somewhat close lol
areyna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Vaya Con Cornholio

^Well, Max has, so I didn't have to.

edit: Yeah, make my post appear nonsensical, Mr. sneaky. :p
Unread 04-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
Vaya Con Cornholio

I let it slide... He sent me some more pictures of the body, which had some pretty wide gashes along the edges, and there were spider-cracks in the paintwork in many places. Also, he had thrown away the bar and the "case" was a flimsy no-name nylon affair. Disappoint!
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Viginez will become famous soon enough
its basically this one

TOP Ibanez RG 550 Limited Edition! Made in JAPAN! wie NEU!+Edge Tremolo-FUJIGEN! | eBay
Viginez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
_(:3 」∠)_

silverabyss is just really nicesilverabyss is just really nice
Idk but I'm totally crying buckets because that's the most delicious 550 I've ever seen. Shame to see it so beat up.
Bigfan likes this.
silverabyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
Vaya Con Cornholio

Look at my Photobucket for some additional pictures he sent me, some of them show a bit of damage:

Guitar_Stuff pictures by Pikka_Bird - Photobucket

Also included is a pic of the gigbag that he would throw in for free. If I had jumped on it then I'd have ended up giving it away or tossed it aside.

So what do you say now? I did say that I would pass, but it's just so rare to see something like this at this cost. I'm thinking I could just get an off-brand hardcase and patch the dings up with one of those silver paint touch-up pens for cars and buff them out to make them inconspicuous. Is this a pipe dream?

edit: Feel free to poke around in the album while you're there, BTW.
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
_(:3 」∠)_

silverabyss is just really nicesilverabyss is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikka Bird View Post
Look at my Photobucket for some additional pictures he sent me, some of them show a bit of damage:

Guitar_Stuff pictures by Pikka_Bird - Photobucket

Also included is a pic of the gigbag that he would throw in for free. If I had jumped on it then I'd have ended up giving it away or tossed it aside.

So what do you say now? I did say that I would pass, but it's just so rare to see something like this at this cost. I'm thinking I could just get an off-brand hardcase and patch the dings up with one of those silver paint touch-up pens for cars and buff them out to make them inconspicuous. Is this a pipe dream?

edit: Feel free to poke around in the album while you're there, BTW.
I would and give it the TLC it needs
silverabyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

_MonSTeR_ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
It's a later RG550. It's going to be worth a little less than a brightly colored, all maple neck model, but not a lot less. Honestly, rarity doesn't really effect Ibanez guitars unless you have a something really rare/different like SC, SF, CST, etc.
With these types of guitars the important thing is to go for the one you like the colour/options on, not perceived rarity.

If you like the silver/gunmetal combo more than yellow and black, then this is the one for you and it's worth a bit more to get the colour combo that you're happiest with.

My view on these RGs is that because Ibanez made so many different colours over the years and had so many slightly different models that you only see an exact model in a certain colour pop up for sale every so often so you have to get the ones you want when you see the ones you want.
_MonSTeR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Vaya Con Cornholio

^Yeah, that's my dilemma. This is the one 550 that I like as is. I might put a mirror pickguard on it if I end up going for it. If it had been any other 550 then it'd get stripped and refinished in a jiffy. I can't do that to this one, though.