homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MetalHeadMat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

bobthebiker is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What jackson/charvel is this?

Hi all, I've have been looking for a project for some time now and have been fortunate enough to have been given an old jackson/charvel to have a go at fixing up. The guitar is in a bit of a state and doesn't seem to have many of the original parts, i am hoping that one of the jackson fans here can chime in and identify the model. Any other info would be great too eg. parts that it had or potential upgrades. If i remember correctly the serial no. is 29/978 acording to the neck plate and it says it's made in Texas

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Below are the rather blurry camera phone photos

374197_10150597505704665_577829664_10949527_83549712_n.jpg

393587_10150597506569665_577829664_10949529_666983537_n.jpg

400412_10150597503879665_577829664_10949520_961034771_n.jpg

405342_10150597504849665_577829664_10949523_1245972478_n.jpg
bobthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Captastic is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think its a Model 4 with a rare fire-crackle or lava finish. Does it have 3 micro switches? Can't tell from pic. It also looks like someone took off the JT-6 trem...and installed a model 1 vintage style trem.
Captastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Yes 3 micro switches, the trem is a schaller and i am pretty sure it's not original as the cavity in the back has been filed away to make access for the springs and block. The springs are still fowling though and the knife edge on the posts are set really high. I think this may be caused by the neck pocket which seem to have been shimmed quite high to make up for the neck pocket being miles out of alignment. the finish looks really good up close but unfortunately has many chips in it and i am considering re-finishing it. The neck has a two or three small screw holes after the nut around the truss rod cover which leads me to believe it used to have a locking nut after the nut?
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yep. Model 4 hacked up to have a V-Trem. If it's fixable, they're pretty solid guitars.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Purely Hate Driven

MetalHeadMat has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very nice. Definitely a Model 4 with the Fire Crackle finish, made for some reason to fit a V-trem. Originally had the Schaller JT-6 which I like a lot, I love Schaller's
Not made in Texas, actually made in Japan, ordered to the Jackson headquarters in Texas.
Between 1987-1988, can't give you an exact year, but if I'm not mistaken I believe the Fire Crackle finish was an '88 option.

Love mine Here are some pics, since I love showing it off, featured on audiozone.dk:

mentalfuneral likes this.
MetalHeadMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Actually, IIRC the JT-6 was made by Gotoh. The JT-590 is the one made by Schaller. Otherwise, you're correct - the "model" guitars were made by Chushin Gakki in Japan. I believe '88 was the only year for that finish, although the serial number will tell you for sure.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

Thanks for all the replies

Mat yours is a real beauty
I hope mine ends up like that as it really deserves a good bit of TLC

Does any one know if a floyd rose will fit into the cavity?
also if I were to fit a floating bridge would I need a locking nut? If so does anyone know where I could find one for this guitar as the design seems quite unique and I don't fancy having one fit to replace the plastic nut.
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Trem Snob

CapinCripes is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebiker View Post

also if I were to fit a floating bridge would I need a locking nut? If so does anyone know where I could find one for this guitar as the design seems quite unique and I don't fancy having one fit to replace the plastic nut.
seeing as its a model 4 and started its life with a jt6 a floyd should fit Tremolo Info Project, floating double locking tremolos and guitar bridges on Jackson Charvel guitars as for locking nut if you don't want to replace the nut get a kahler string lock. they sometimes get a bad rap but are pretty reliable if you have the nut lubed right

New blood on Falcon turf.. You're gunna look like cooked Spaghetti!
CapinCripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Purely Hate Driven

MetalHeadMat has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaeolian View Post
Actually, IIRC the JT-6 was made by Gotoh. The JT-590 is the one made by Schaller. Otherwise, you're correct - the "model" guitars were made by Chushin Gakki in Japan. I believe '88 was the only year for that finish, although the serial number will tell you for sure.
I've heard '88 was the only year for the finish but then again I could be mistaken.

And farts, I thought for sure the JT-6 was Schaller made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebiker View Post

Thanks a bunch man! These bad boys had a behind the nut lock nut like the Kahler, which you can find anywhere online I believe. I'd scout eBay and see if you can score that with a JT-6 as well. For non-recessed routes an OFR will fit, but I've heard that they're pretty tricky to fit in a recessed trem route. Then again I could just be making an ass out of myself
MetalHeadMat is offline   Reply With Quote