homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tom Anderson downsizes

By March Tom Anderson Guitarworks will be one man, Tom himself, he is downsizing because he wants to concentrae on guitars and not manage the business. You can read his statement here. It's kind of odd because now he will have to do everything and I hope he doesn't burn out trying to be a one man band.
ohio_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-15-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Damn.

I totally respect Tom's decision, but it does seem odd to all but shut down a very successful business. I mean, he could have hired a business manager to keep the "production" side of things going, and then just retired to a back room where he could make "Tom Anderson Private Stock" guitars by hand. But instead, he's chosen to let all those people go and to become a one-man shop.

That said, many of the best and most successful "boutique" luthiers are still one-person shops. Luthiers seem to like working on their own. Maybe Tom just wanted to get back to the craft and spending time with the wood.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
I mean, he could have hired a business manager to keep the "production" side of things going, and then just retired to a back room where he could make "Tom Anderson Private Stock" guitars by hand.
Isn't that basically how PRS operates? From the interviews I've read and the factory tour pics I've seen I get the impression that Paul is fairly hands on and leaves most of the running of the firm to others. I could be wrong though.

I think it's a real shame Tom's made this decision, but I can understand he reasoning behind it. I wonder if he'll be more willing to make 7's again as a one man band with no production line to worry about?
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
SS Contributor

ohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnateohio_eric is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfiend666 View Post
I wonder if he'll be more willing to make 7's again as a one man band with no production line to worry about?
I doubt he'll make sevens. Yhe big reason he stopped making them was his inability to source out quality parts. So unless he's found new sources it doesn't look hopeful.
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I dndn't think he will either, but it never hurst to be optomistic.
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
If you want a seven-string Tom Anderson, go to the Schecter USA custom shop.
Unread 02-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Decibel Guitars

Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Anderson
An update from the horse’s mouth (Tom of course).
Your response to my plan to phase out our current operation and become a one man shop has been overwhelming!

Thank you so very, very much for your outpouring of support for our guitars and the company as a whole. You have led me to reconsider what makes the most sense for Tom Anderson Guitarworks and for me personally in the future.

I won't be going solo at the end of March, and the company and I will continue making the very same guitars Roy calls “the best guitars on the planet.” We will be changing how we are structured, but your experience should stay the same. Starting in April we will build and ship a more limited number of guitars for a while as we reorganize. As we progress we will keep you informed.

Thank you again so much for all your kind words, your patience and your best wishes. I look forward to our future together!
Unread 02-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_eric View Post
I doubt he'll make sevens. Yhe big reason he stopped making them was his inability to source out quality parts. So unless he's found new sources it doesn't look hopeful.
Things have changed since then. Now, Tone Pros has a TOM bridge, Floyd offers the OFR-7, Tusq and Graphtech offer nuts, and numerous companies offer pickguards, pickup rings, and numerous other accessories. The addition of pickups alone is staggering.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
Things have changed since then. Now, Tone Pros has a TOM bridge, Floyd offers the OFR-7, Tusq and Graphtech offer nuts, and numerous companies offer pickguards, pickup rings, and numerous other accessories. The addition of pickups alone is staggering.
Yeah, I passed a few emails back and forth with Tom about this, but even in light of the better market for things like this, he still wasn't interested in going back into production.

Pity, but on the bright side I guess I'm $3k richer for it... :/

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Tin Foil Central

God Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to allGod Hand Apostle is a name known to all
I had heard that he wanted to call it quits, so as long as Andersons are still being made until I can afford one is all good over here.
God Hand Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
SS Contributor

Tom Anderson is a good guy and it's cool he's sticking around.

On another note he's not making baritones for a while now either. Tom is super particular about parts and isn't thrilled with what is out there.
Unread 02-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #12
Banned from Reality

Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'd give a testicle for this guitar:

Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
SS Contributor

Actually given what Andersons can resell for you might have to give both.