homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
LACS Brainstorming Session

I have a form to fill out by monday on a new custom, but as yet:

- No idea on body wood
- No idea on colour
- Still wondering what inlay to do, whether to match it to the current lacs, or go for something sdifferent, or keep it in the same vein (on the lacs it is the sigil of Pazuzu, the lord of all fevers and plagues)
- no idea on neckwoods/construction
- fingerboard I do like rosewood, but tinking of seeing if there's another fun wood that can be used.

Things I do know:
- Neckthrough
- Volute
- Reverse Headstock
- Headstock matched to body
- Flachion body shape
- Either H/S/H or H/H pup config
- Killswitch
- pup switch probably 5-way as do prefer that and don't massively get on with toggle switches, although open to ideas
- 1 vol, 1 tone
- Some kind of funky inlay
- White marbled binding as on the uv777
- glow in the dark side dots, with black centres

Guitars I like:
- love the j-custom maple top mahogony i got recently
- swamp ash maple neckthrough maple topped lacs is ace as well
- like the woody sound out of the uv7pwn i've got, but this may be down to the nice bit of wood in it.

So, recommendations, ideas, links to fn logos that could be uised for inlays purposes, everything welcome in this thread.

just for reference, here's the current lacs I have:

go!

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Oh, here's a link to the kind of original specs for the previous lacs as well:

New Page 0

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Washing your dishes.

Malkav is just really niceMalkav is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lo pro bridge, H-H, 5-way 7 string preferable

Edit: Neutrik locking output jack Tremol-No

Colour scheme - Flamed maple top in a really electric light green with a thin black burst around the edges. Think body colour as being the colour of Rob's burst - the green being the main colour not the burst in this case though. Chrome hardware

Malkav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I had this recently. For the first time ever, I've actually had to come up with a finalised spec sheet for a custom guitar, I've only ever been on waiting lists or bought pre-made custom shop guitars haha.

Things I thought of:

Rosewood necks - look amazing, feel amazing, and the sound is sort of a taste thing but that also narrows down body wood selection. I went for an Alder body with the Rosewood because rosewood not as bright as maple, but has a rich attack, so went to pick the brightness back up with Alder.

If you want a good all round body wood, Swamp Ash is nice because it attacks like a more dense wood but has the thickness in sound of something like Mahogany. Not too heavy either.

If you do just want to stick with something more familiar (similar to maple I mean) there are woods like Ovangkol which have a lot in common with maple but have a different aesthetic; I don't particularly like it personally but you might.

So.

If you go for Rosewood and Alder, you could whack a solid finish on that, Loch Ness Green for example but it would mean hiding a portion of that GORGEOUS rosewood as you're going neck thru so maybe get a maple cap with a flat or something, get the top finished once colour (green or purple maybe, match Allender ) and leave the back glossed or oil finished?

There are some ideas for you anyway. Kinda how my though process went.

I'm having the body of my guitar finished in a solid pearl white but the neck is going to be bare, oiled rosewood. I'm not having inlays because I like black board, but I am having my fret markers made more interesting on the side of the neck. MOP Blocks or something.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i'd go with satin white or purple finish +black bevels and an ebony board for the falchion shape, personally.
loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Mahogany body and burl maple top stained?
Rook likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Ash body with 5 piece neckthrough

Grey/Black Flame Maple Top

HH/HSS setup w/ Zebra pickups

Chrome/Black Chrome hardware

Lo Pro or the new tight end if you're going a 6.

Ibanez Prestige Logo on headstock in pearloid

Example of top colour

Example of wood and neck wood

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

snowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
5 Piece Flame Maple/Purpleheart Neck Thru
Swamp Ash Body Wings
Cocobolo Fretboard
Highly Figured Walnut Top with Matching Peghead
Clear Gloss Finish
Chrome Hardware
snowblind56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Swamp Ash (Do they do that? If not, mahogany) and a figured maple cap w/ the neck showing through on the front

And a satin finish...

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Actually necermind figured woods if its a falchion shape. Solid colour alder body with a pale moon ebony board would look evil as hell.
Hollowway and Konfyouzd like this.
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
Banned

Also ITT:

We spec out our dream LACS and hope James builds it
Razzy likes this.
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #12
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Should have read better. Didn't realize that was the shape...

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #13

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Rosewood neck with purple-heart stripes down the middle.
Rosewood necks feel awesome imo as well.

Koa Body wood? Something different? With a quilt-maple top.

Otherwise I'd go with a Mahogany with a thick Quilt-maple top.
Some exotic fretboard would really rad.

EDIT: How about 27 or 28 frets too?
Konfyouzd likes this.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

motomoto is a jewel in the rough
mahogany wings
5 piece maple/wenge neck
rosewood fretboard
flame maple top(since you got a quilt already)
deep blue stain with black burst edges
H-H config
1 push-push knob (master volume and pickup switch)

and here is an inlay idea since you're in the mood for this stuff

Tiamat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

motomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
inlays you could always go for some hr giger style stuff... take it to a level Ibanez never did with the Giger model's? or Norse gods and myths, Tyr is the God of Single Combat

Quote:
The Rites of Odin by Ed Fitch published in 1990 through Llewellyn says that Tyr is "the invincible warrior of the Nordic pantheon, and far older than all the others of Asgard." He is said to have sacrificed his right hand to help bind Fenrir, the wolf who, when set free, is destined to devour the Sun. It is thought by scholars that he may have been the original father-god of the archaic Indo-Europeans, long before the dawn of our histories."
Fretboard the pale moon ebony looks incredible imo
Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

tank is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
balducci's are awesome!

shred or die!

my shots! http://tanky92.deviantart.com/gallery/
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #17

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Exotic woods are all good but Ive never played a rosewood neck or koa body etc so Id be hesitant to make such an important decision based upon woods Ive never used. Youve already got a swamp ash one and you really like the J Custom. I too have an RG8527z and its pretty nice. I would do a neck thru J Custom with inlays of your choice. It would be neck thru so a little brighter than your current J custom because of the maple neck thru. To darken it a little maybe maybe get it with two mahogany stringers or one purpleheart stringer down the middle with two mahogany stringers or vice versa, something like a mayones neck with the mahogany wings. It would have maple neck binding which is awesome. Thats probably what I would do. Maybe even consider the RGA body carve. So yeah, neck thru J custom style sounds like a winning guitar.
leonardo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #18
ss.org Regular

Strawberry Man is on a distinguished road
A seven string Falchion with the chameleon paint like the Xiphos would be sick.
Strawberry Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #19
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yeah I'd vote for a solid color too, but with different colored bevels. That falchion shape is pretty sweet. And I love that inlay, so I'd be inclined to keep it and just make that your thing. But I think Stealth has an awesome idea for the pale moon ebony FB. It has that dirty blackened look.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Maple neckthru with poplar wings and a see thru maple top. The maple neck thru will give it great bite, the poplar gives a great thick and bright sound, the maple top would just accentuate it for a bit more brightness.

The top can actually be something that you might not need imo.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #21
Banned

Maybe that combo won't be bright enough.
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #22
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Any colour but black!

Purple or green maybe?
thatguy5557123 likes this.
theo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #23
Growing my hair..

Rojne is just really niceRojne is just really nice
Combine this with what you've already decided that you want..

Neck:
5 piece Mahogany/Wenge
Ebonized Rosewood fretboard
The Pazuzu inlay, no other fret markers (besides the side dots)

Body:
Mahogany w/ Flame-maple top (think the RGT's where you can see the neck-stripes through the body)
Dark vintage stain finish ...or a really dark green stain!
H-H configuration (zebra's!!!)
Lo-Pro Edge or Tight-end bridge
Chrome hardware

Im not really fond of the Flachion, but these specs would be cool either 6 or 7 stringed!

yeah
Rojne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #24
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
im guessing you are set on the rg shape? if not hope about the 540pii shape?

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #25
Totally Random

JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I'd go Korina/maple top with ebony board. (I already am, lol).
JPMike is offline   Reply With Quote