homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-26-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

s4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
RGD neck on an RG/RGA body - would it work?

OK, so I'd like to have something like a fixed bridge baritone Ibby, like the RGD321. That's not on sale in Europe, and the Hungarian Forint is pretty weak nowadays, so I'd avoid an import. But still, I'd like to have a baritone hardtail Ibby. I thought I'd have an RGD321 neck (and only a neck) from ebay, and fit it onto any cheap AANJ body, like an RGA32 or an RG321. According to Ibanez's site, neck dimensions are the same, except lenght, of course. I think it may work, but I should move the bridge anyway, and pickup placement would not be ideal. Any comments on this? Is it a worthless idea? Is this the time to think about building my first guitar body?
s4tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Ibanez <3

guitarister7321 is just really niceguitarister7321 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No. Intonation would be all out of wack if you put a 26.5" RGD neck on a body made for a 25.5" neck. And, I think the width of the RGD neck at the heel is 58mm, so it wouldn't fit in the 56mm wide RG321 body's neck pocket.
guitarister7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Swyse

Swyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of lightSwyse is a glorious beacon of light
The pickup placement is already jacked on the rgd321, If you don't mind sanding the neck/neck pocket and you want to move the bridge back, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

i prefer the reverse stranger where I sit on my dick till it's numb, so it feels like I'm jerking a stranger off - theo in chat
Swyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Pick up a used RGXL, it'll probably be cheaper in the end then taking to incompatible, low end Ibanez parts and slapping them together, not to mention you'd have a better guitar in the end. Look for RG1077XLs, RG2077XLs, and RG7421XLs.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

s4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud of
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll probably skip this idea.

Max, an XL would be an obvious choice, if I were about to get a 7, I'd wait for a 7421XL. (It's on my ebay saved search list, no results in like 6 months....) But if you want a 6-string Ibby with an extended scale, AFAIK RGD is the way to go.
s4tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
If you use a RG321 body, then it will be really easy, just move the bridge back, re-drill the string holes (fill in the old ones) pickup placement would be weird, but that can be filled and re-routed also.

But... if you have no experience with a mod of that level, skip the idea for now until you have some experience...

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is online now   Reply With Quote