homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By jordanky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
SS Contributor

jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
NGD: Ibanez RG920 Premium... Purple!!!

It's not technically mine, but it showed up in our store today, so I decided to snap a few pictures of it, so you guys can finally get to see some real life pictures of this thing, instead of just stock catalog photos.

What I like:
Uncanny resemblance to my J. Custom, save for the veneer top on this one. The heel joint, neck profile, and even the figured maple neck binding, inlays and even down to the script on the back of the headstock is in the same place. Also this thing has ridiculously good fretwork. The veneer looks very nice and the headstock matches up very nicely. Also, the back of the neck is oiled and natural all the way up to the volute, then it was masked off and the back of the headstock is lacquered.

What I don't like:
The pickups, but that is a matter of personal preference. Still better than the Ibanez Infinity pickups though. Also, there are a couple of small finish flaws, but nothing to complain majorly about. A couple of small spots on the "binding" that the purple stain seeped into, also the neck bolt holes have a little bit of discoloration, you can see that in the picture. The paint line where the lacquered headstock meets the oiled section of the neck was masked off kind of harshly. It's smooth, but it's just a hair crooked.

All in all, this is a really cool guitar, it's nice to see Ibanez bringing some of the features of the J. Custom and old US custom guitars into the market in their imports.

Here are some pictures!

jordanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
SS Contributor

jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
My phone is having trouble connecting to Photobucket, so as soon as Sprint decides to cooperate with me, I'll post the rest of the pictures.
jordanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
These already looked amazing from promo pics and stuff. But the IRL footage is just mind blowing.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The fact that some dye bled in to the binding reaffirms what I had hoped; it's actually a maple top with a maple veneer, instead of just a maple veneer with maple binding. Happy times.
JaeSwift is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
UG Invader

Pat_s1t is a jewel in the rough
Ahhh I want one so much. Definitely on my to-buy list after I get my Agile.
Pat_s1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
That's stunning.

The fretboards are always way nicer IRL than on the stock photos too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
(((Ω)))

simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.
That purple looks delicious, man!

Happy NGD and welcome to the Premium club!
simonXsludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Come at me bro

Django has a spectacular aura about
Premiums look awesome. Too bad that they're not on the level of Prestiges, because these look much better. Iīm looking to buy a high end Ibanez, but I havenīt found one that suited all my needs so far.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Enjoys Chicken.

TelosHedge is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
that's it. i'm getting one.
TelosHedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

AkiraSpectrum is just really niceAkiraSpectrum is just really nice
looks pretty sweet :-)
AkiraSpectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Midnight Walker

Johann is a jewel in the rough
screw me, moar GAS. Thanks anyway, kind sir.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

mystix is a name known to allmystix is a name known to allmystix is a name known to allmystix is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
very nice!!! i love purple guitars!!!

i actually had the blue one for a few days, but i just couldn't get past the pickups. i'm not one to mod my guitars so i sent it back. i ended up getting a washburn n4 in it's place, but the pics you posted makes me want to get a purple one so bad!!!

My gear:

PRS Custom 22 in Vintage Yellow
EB MM Morse Y2D in Purple
EB MM Liii
Ibanez Jem 777DY
Suhr Pro M4

EVH 5150 iii
Taylor 314CE

My Music:
www.johnmendozamusic.com
mystix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeSwift View Post
The fact that some dye bled in to the binding reaffirms what I had hoped; it's actually a maple top with a maple veneer, instead of just a maple veneer with maple binding. Happy times.

Why would that confirm the former? Basswood picks up stain easily as well.

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Congrats man! I love the Premium line, I really want one of these in orange!

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter
Rigs: Invader 100, Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
They need to put that finish on the premium 7. Best looking Ibanez in production, period.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #16
Melodeth-er

oremus91 is a jewel in the rough
As much as I love that purple I'll never buy a guitar that I know is a veneer top... I'd much rather have a solid color.
oremus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #17
POSTING ON INTERNET

Miek is just really niceMiek is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I didn't realize so many people were hung up on veneers.

Anyway OP sick-ass guitar, I ....ing love purple.
Miek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #18
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miek View Post
I didn't realize so many people were hung up on veneers.

Anyway OP sick-ass guitar, I ....ing love purple.
That purple is dead-sexy and I'm hard-pressed to not start saving for one myself.

As far as the veneers go, the only problem I have with them is that veneer can chip out rather easily on edges so the tops tend to be a bit more fragile, as opposed to denting like a normal solid or thick cap would.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
Ibanez <3

guitarister7321 is just really niceguitarister7321 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gorgeous!
guitarister7321 is offline   Reply With Quote