homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #26
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
.... that money making bullshit "tribute". Do something real and donate money to the families and those with health issues due to the attack.
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #27
Guitar Whore

Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
"The guitars are the brainchild of Minnesota firefighter Tommy Clarke, who, a decade ago, was on the scene of the World Trade Center within 24 hours after disaster struck. In the years afterward, he collected pins, badges, medals and other commendation related to the three New York agencies and to Sept. 11. The decorations that adorn the three guitars are from his collection.

Although not a guitarist, Clarke conceived of the guitars in the mid-2000s after receiving an invitation to a New York “Notes For Hope” fund-raising banquet for the city’s Sept. 11 memorial and museum.

“Even though I don’t play guitar, I thought it would a good way for me to honor those who perished on Sept. 11 and those who are still suffering,” he said. “And I always loved sitting back and listening to my son play guitar. That’s when I thought of a guitar. I’ve always felt as if music and art combined together is a good way for a person to express his feelings.”

Clarke also happens to be a longtime friend of Eric Clapton, and it was Clapton that put Clarke in touch with the Fender Custom Shop, where Master Builder Todd Krause was entrusted with bringing the idea to life. Krause had built several instruments for Clapton over the years, and he and Clarke exchanged ideas—one of which led to the custom finish graphics by New York artist Lee Quinones.

“I’m on the West Coast, and I have a list of people who I refer to,” Krause said. “But Tommy and I were discussing artists, and we both felt it was really important that it be a New York artist. It had to be a New York artist.” Quinones was enlisted, and in no time Clarke had a complete set of guitar designs. “I had a strong vision of what I wanted,” Clarke said. “The biggest problem with the guitars was that there’s not a lot of real estate. Each guitar tells a story, and the hardest part was to paint the tragedy while still portraying ourselves as emerging triumphant.”

Is anyone reading the ....ing article at all? Why is is so bad a firefighter who was at the scene of the attacks want to create something to honor those that perished and Fender made his vision a reality?
Murmel and UnderTheSign like this.

Guitars: Jackson USA - ESP - Schecter USA - Ibanez
Amps: Marshall - Carvin - Line 6
Church2224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #28
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It still seems weird.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
U gonna eat that?

Deadnightshade is a glorious beacon of lightDeadnightshade is a glorious beacon of lightDeadnightshade is a glorious beacon of light
Right guys in 10 or so years Ibanez will realease 11 March 2011 Fukushima tribute models.

Of all the crazy shit japs do, i'm pretty sure they won't do that.

That means something about those Fender tributes.

Die.Get cremated.Laugh your ash off..
Deadnightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #30
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah, its good they're being donated and IMO any charity is good charity, but something about those guitars seems very awkward.
orakle likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
SS.org Regular

Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
"The guitars are the brainchild of Minnesota firefighter Tommy Clarke, who, a decade ago, was on the scene of the World Trade Center within 24 hours after disaster struck. In the years afterward, he collected pins, badges, medals and other commendation related to the three New York agencies and to Sept. 11. The decorations that adorn the three guitars are from his collection.....

....Quinones was enlisted, and in no time Clarke had a complete set of guitar designs. “I had a strong vision of what I wanted,” Clarke said. “The biggest problem with the guitars was that there’s not a lot of real estate. Each guitar tells a story, and the hardest part was to paint the tragedy while still portraying ourselves as emerging triumphant.”

Is anyone reading the ....ing article at all? Why is is so bad a firefighter who was at the scene of the attacks want to create something to honor those that perished and Fender made his vision a reality?
Yeah I did read the article and IMO theses guitars are a strange idea in the first place but ones that have been taken up by Fender should have and could have been alot more successful than they are. They have been poorly executed. They do look cheap and tacky and the idea that they tell a story or portray the American people (and every other nationality that died as well inc 67 brits was it?) triumph over the catastrophe.... they fail to do that. A proper memorial in guitar form or any from should speak to both the tragedy and to the hope that people can take out of it, should'nt celebrate what happened that day but mark that day and celebrate the positives that have come out of that ten years on.... All three just look like a Fire Brigade style strat and two police based strats one with dodgy art work of a policeman holding up some wreckage (yes one is for the port service but unless you live in NYC or your american your not gonna know that) To me, i don't see which bit of the design and art work reflects either 9/11 or the ten years since? (and I mean that without having to read the full blurb on each guitar to understand what each part and badge and colour represents....

I think Fender should have taken this guys ideas and done so much more with it than they have....
as an example couple of images off google all I did was do a search for "9/11 tributes"... and on the first page I found theses and theses speak more to me immediately about that day and the memory's, this is what the guitars should have tried to portray...

Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #32
Guitar Whore

Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Cypher View Post
Yeah I did read the article and IMO theses guitars are a strange idea in the first place but ones that have been taken up by Fender should have and could have been alot more successful than they are. They have been poorly executed. They do look cheap and tacky and the idea that they tell a story or portray the American people (and every other nationality that died as well inc 67 brits was it?) triumph over the catastrophe.... they fail to do that. A proper memorial in guitar form or any from should speak to both the tragedy and to the hope that people can take out of it, should'nt celebrate what happened that day but mark that day and celebrate the positives that have come out of that ten years on.... All three just look like a Fire Brigade style strat and two police based strats one with dodgy art work of a policeman holding up some wreckage (yes one is for the port service but unless you live in NYC or your american your not gonna know that) To me, i don't see which bit of the design and art work reflects either 9/11 or the ten years since? (and I mean that without having to read the full blurb on each guitar to understand what each part and badge and colour represents....

I think Fender should have taken this guys ideas and done so much more with it than they have....
as an example couple of images off google all I did was do a search for "9/11 tributes"... and on the first page I found theses and theses speak more to me immediately about that day and the memory's, this is what the guitars should have tried to portray...

http://www.primetimebulldogs.com/ALL.../wtccandle.gif
http://www.savinglivescpr.net/files/...ages/911_3.jpg
http://thekitchencabinet.us/wp-conte...11-TRIBUTE.jpg

True, they could have done a lot better with the designs. I am just talking more the intent of it all and people calling it a "Money Making Venture" when it has been stated numerous times that they will be donated to the foundations.

Guitars: Jackson USA - ESP - Schecter USA - Ibanez
Amps: Marshall - Carvin - Line 6
Church2224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #33
SS.org Regular

Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church2224 View Post
True, they could have done a lot better with the designs. I am just talking more the intent of it all and people calling it a "Money Making Venture" when it has been stated numerous times that they will be donated to the foundations.
Thats true dude, I mean I did forget that bit when I did the OP that they were clearly not for sale...
Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #34
SS.org Regular

avenger is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry but these are lame as hell.

avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #35
H. Maddas

Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
*insert Dean Joke*

But seriously that shit is Tacky.
Pooluke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #36
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Something subtle would have gone a VERY long way...these are terrible.
Rook likes this.
Thep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #37
SS.org Regular

Blood Ghost is a jewel in the rough
"So everyone, I have a wonderful idea. In honor of September Eleventh, Let's make a Stratocaster with inlaid badges and commendations related to the attack."

"Sounds great, Bill! What kind of finishes will we be doing?"

"I think it would be great to have airbrush artwork of a jagged silhouette of ground zero, jutting into the sky, set against an ominous red sky, to symbolize the tragedy and horror of that day."

"...You okay, Bill?"
Blood Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #38
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ_E7Vce8vU#t=00m33s

Good that they're being donated, weird that it happened at all.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #39
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
errr that leaves a nasty taste in my mouth...

just...

yuck.

EDIT: Wait, to clear up any confusion, are those badges for real? I assumed not, but if they are that's just, well, horrific

DOUBLE EDIT: inb4 tasteless Dean joke

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #40
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Cypher View Post
Yeah I did read the article and IMO theses guitars are a strange idea in the first place but ones that have been taken up by Fender should have and could have been alot more successful than they are. They have been poorly executed.
They're custom shop guitars made to the specifications of the person requesting them. Should they have made them the guitars he wanted, or the guitars they think he sould have wanted?
UnderTheSign likes this.

"We must not indulge in unfavorable views of mankind, since by doing it we make bad men believe they are no worse than others, and we teach the good that they are good in vain." - Walter Winchell

"Progressive music used to be about thinking outside the box, but now it's just about fitting as many notes inside the box as possible, and it bores me to tears." -Sol Niger 333 [paraphrased]

"It is important to be a Jedi." - Mika
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #41
No privacy hedge.

anne is just really niceanne is just really nice
A musical instrument is totes inappropes because a musical instrument is a tool, and a tool is an inelegant place to put a message or sentiment, especially one as grave and focused as that concerning 9/11. (On top of that, it's just poor art IMO.) The medium, the contexts in which you find the medium, and the artistic peculiarities just don't approach the gravity of the subject in a way that does anything except cheapen the memory. That's just my opinion, though. I wasn't there and it's obviously a very personal subject and their hearts are in the right place, but just me, thinking of the scope of the event and the worldwide suffering of so many kinds that has followed it, I dunno about this, man...
Guitarman700 likes this.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #42
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Moff Tim View Post
They're custom shop guitars made to the specifications of the person requesting them. Should they have made them the guitars he wanted, or the guitars they think he sould have wanted?
They were made for donation to services who experienced a horrific event, as such more thought could have been put into the design to make them be a bit more tasteful imo (If they really needed to be done at all). I know the guy who thought up the designs was there, but it's being made for other people and to represent a tragic event so you need to look at the bigger picture and how people might react.
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #43
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Needs another string and a longer scale length.
MikeH and Hemi-Powered Drone like this.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #44
HONKEY DONKEY

oniduder is a name known to alloniduder is a name known to alloniduder is a name known to alloniduder is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
yeah i'm totally glad every one agrees with me that that is total shit...

why oh why
oniduder is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #45
SS.org Regular

Terminus1993 is a jewel in the rough
Can them djent???

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalgrey View Post
as a New Yorker...im tired of this shit. Its tacky. Please stop.
Absolutely
Terminus1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #46
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
They were made for donation to services who experienced a horrific event, as such more thought could have been put into the design to make them be a bit more tasteful imo (If they really needed to be done at all). I know the guy who thought up the designs was there, but it's being made for other people and to represent a tragic event so you need to look at the bigger picture and how people might react.
Then that's on the guy who requested them, not Fender, is all I'm saying.

"We must not indulge in unfavorable views of mankind, since by doing it we make bad men believe they are no worse than others, and we teach the good that they are good in vain." - Walter Winchell

"Progressive music used to be about thinking outside the box, but now it's just about fitting as many notes inside the box as possible, and it bores me to tears." -Sol Niger 333 [paraphrased]

Unread 09-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #47
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Moff Tim View Post
Then that's on the guy who requested them, not Fender, is all I'm saying.
Fender still made them and backed it though. They could've said 'you know, maybe some people might get upset by this'.
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #48
Some call me... Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Fender still made them and backed it though. They could've said 'you know, maybe some people might get upset by this'.
I honestly don't know why anyone would be upset about it. This isn't another money-making scheme where a company is trying to capitalize on the tragedy, despite how much all the people in here who didn't read the article seem to think it is. Does anyone honestly think when this guy, a fireman himself, presents the guitar to the FDNY, someone there is going to be anything buy touched?

Yes, the wreckage depicted represents a tragedy, but it's also a powerful, iconic image that represents the sacrifice they all made and the memories of their fallen bretheren. That would be cheapened if it were being mass produced and sold to anybody with the money to do it, but they're being donated. It's hardly the first time a symbol of tragedy has been used to bring people together (ie the Atomic Dome in Hiroshima, or the Christian Cross).

Iono, man. Apparently it's just me.

Unread 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #49
A Chap Called Ross

For me, it represents the commercialisation of an event. It may not be produced for profit, but it feels corporate and I dunno...I just don't like it. Maybe it's cos I'm British, we view and treat events like this differently.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #50
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I have to ask, are they MIM strats?
ivancic1al likes this.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is online now   Reply With Quote