homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Bipedal Hominid

fwd0120 is a glorious beacon of lightfwd0120 is a glorious beacon of lightfwd0120 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ibanezes with ebony boards?

I don't think this topic has been discussed too much before. So I was wondering if anybody knew which specific models have had ebony boards since the 80s? all I can think of is the JEM7VWH, but other then that, which models.

Thanks!

"basically by saying "a rg neck will look awesome on an sg body" your saying " megan fox's head would look great on drew cary's body."" - aslsmm

My soundclick music. (genre : shonocore): http://www.soundclick.com/frankwilliamdremel

I play Phrygian in a vacuum b5
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just the George Benson GB30th and the older pre 2003 (?) JEMs...

AcousticMinja likes this.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Didn't the very first Mick Thompson model have emgs and ebony board? I might just be dreaming again since I just woke up.
TRENCHLORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENCHLORD View Post
Didn't the very first Mick Thompson model have emgs and ebony board? I might just be dreaming again since I just woke up.
Not sure... current MTM1 and 2 have rosewood... but my friend had one and it sure looked like ebony... maybe he stained it? The Jim Root Fenders have optional ebony (or maple)... beautiful IMO, but thats off topic...
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Viginez will become famous soon enough
pgm 90 ham
Viginez is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

s4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud ofs4tch has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Some S-Classic models had ebony fretboard, too.

EDIT: BTW, here's an old thread discussing that: Any Ibanez with ebony fretboards?
s4tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
(((Ω)))

simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.
there was a run of super Łberexpensive J. Customs last year which came with ebony boards that came without the floral pattern inlay. can't seem to find them on the ibanez jap website anymore, though.
simonXsludge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Poor Gearwhore

setsuna7 is just really nicesetsuna7 is just really nice
1996 10th Ann. pewter infested JEM.
setsuna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The allan holdsworth models had an ebony fretboard too.
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Bringer of Storms

ScrotieMcBoogerballs is a jewel in the rough
My teacher has a Prestige Ibanez with an ebony board. I'll ask him what model it is next time I see him.
ScrotieMcBoogerballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
"Asian Persuasion"

stevo1 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
My old guitar teacher has an Ibanez that has an ARX body style, with the double cutaways, and it has an ebony board, and a mahogany body. It feels very les paul-y, has a thicker neck than a lot of ibanez's. It was made in the 70's I believe.
stevo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
pixel pusher

mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
ICJ100WZ J. Yuenger Iceman sig. has a ebony board. That's the only Ibanez I can recall off the top of my head.
mikernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
SuiÁmez fanboy

GhostsofAcid is a jewel in the rough
i used to have an ancient pro line series ibby with an ebony board, a PR1660. I don't know which guitars in the rest of the series had ebony boards though.

Here's the wikipedia article:

Ibanez Pro-line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hyliannightmares likes this.
GhostsofAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
Doc McStuffins

So then, the question is... why does Ibanez mostly use shitty rosewood (and occasionally cheap looking Maple) on their $2k+ axes? (And I have 2 JEMS so I'm def not an Ibby hater)

My Japanese EVH has birdseye maple (and SS frets), my Peavey Wolfgangs all have birdseye maple, and my ESP LTD 35th has ebony...

Does Ibanez really need to cut corners on their $2k+ guitars? Seriously, how many black guitars with Rosewood can you have in your product line?!

Here's a few axes that I think would be epic wins with Ebony boards or some nice birdseye maple... (IMO)

Oh well, rant over... they'll still get my $$$ anyways.
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Banned

Hyliannightmares is on a distinguished road
didn't the pro line series have em?
Hyliannightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikernaut View Post
ICJ100WZ J. Yuenger Iceman sig. has a ebony board. That's the only Ibanez I can recall off the top of my head.
Yeah but...

Ugh.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketheadRules View Post
I just lost my un-loseable appetite.
TRENCHLORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
So then, the question is... why does Ibanez mostly use shitty rosewood (and occasionally cheap looking Maple) on their $2k+ axes? (And I have 2 JEMS so I'm def not an Ibby hater)

My Japanese EVH has birdseye maple (and SS frets), my Peavey Wolfgangs all have birdseye maple, and my ESP LTD 35th has ebony...

Does Ibanez really need to cut corners on their $2k+ guitars? Seriously, how many black guitars with Rosewood can you have in your product line?!

Here's a few axes that I think would be epic wins with Ebony boards or some nice birdseye maple... (IMO)

In fairness to Ibanez, the rosewood and maple boards they use are not of low quality. Even the rosewood board on my Indonesian RGA 8 neck is really grainy and nicely figured. The maple they use for Prestige's is very very nice, but blank maple boards are an acquired taste.

I agree they could use more variation but at the same time those things also push prices; they obviously have some sort of wood supply and when ordered in bulk, get cheaper prices. Ordering a lower bulk of wood simply because there are less models with that type of fingerboard (ebony, figured maple) would raise the costs and Ibanez is well aware that their costs have gone up quite enough over the past few years (just check the ridiculous RG 2228 price climb).
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
POSTING ON INTERNET

Miek is just really niceMiek is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post

Why is it you think Ibanez uses shitty rosewood? The slab on my S (an early nineties guitar, admittedly) has one of the best rosewood boards I've ever seen.
Miek is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #20
Doc McStuffins

^ sorry, I just don't see why the JEM costs $1200 more than my EVH which is also made in Japan. I think they have enough profit built in there to add some options... Although, as long as people like me still continue to buy their product why would they change it? Especially when I don't do anything productive like actually email Ibanez... instead I just troll on forums.

Anyways... Enough with the Rosewood... Can I at least get some ziricote or some bloodwood on my RG2228? And while we're at it, make the thing out of Walnut with a Wenge neck too... And stock BKP... Everyone changes them out 5 minutes after they buy one anyways... Sheesh...

And yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on the RG2228 when it was $1500, but I thought that was too much lol... whoops.
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
I own an Ibanez AM-205, it has an ebony fretboard. Very nice.

Pictured is a 1983 model, mine is 1987 but is practically identical.
BigPhi84 likes this.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #22
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
IIRC all of the 90th limiteds had ebony boards
Pre 2003 Jems (think it was 2003)
RG8670 J-Custom
there's currently a Japan-only jazz box that has an ebony board but I forget the model number

Never fear, I'm sure Max will be in this evening with his encyclopedic knowledge of all things Ibanez to put us all to shame
BigPhi84 likes this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
djentleman

orakle is a jewel in the rough
haha yeah Max enlighten us please
orakle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #24
Atmosphere Geek

clockworksam is on a distinguished road
The band - maybe not, but the ebony fretboard on the signature K7APEX1 looks like it RULES
clockworksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #25
SS.org Regular

atticmike is a jewel in the rough
From what series has this model arisen? New? ....ing stunning shape, especially the bevel on the upper front part of the body

atticmike is offline   Reply With Quote