homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By MaxOfMetal
  • 3 Post By MaxOfMetal
  • 3 Post By xfilth
  • 4 Post By xfilth
  • 1 Post By buffa d

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
That Guy from Maine

Blasphemer is a glorious beacon of lightBlasphemer is a glorious beacon of lightBlasphemer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does anybody have any experience with the Ibanez FR?

I have a chance to pick one up on the cheap. I've wanted one for a while , but I'm wondering if anybody has firsthand experience with one.
Blasphemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
They're really solid guitars, and believe it or not they feel/balance very much like an RG in your hands. They have the same exact 24-fret Prestige Wizard neck that's been on Prestige RGs since around 04', so it'll be very familiar if you've owned one in that time. The cutaway feel very similar as well. It's essentially a fixed bridge RG with a single cutaway.

As for tones, the pickups are surprisingly good, maybe not for "teh br00tlz" but they're very solid. The Ash body is really nice too, very reminicent of some more "vintage" style guitars. The Ash and single cutaway do add some weight, I'd say maybe a full pound or so to your average RG.

As for the bridge, it's a work of art. Solid, functional, and really comfortable under your hand.
BigPhi84 and Bigfan like this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
they're fantastic, underrated, underused guitars. Slap some better pickups in there for whatever your purpose is and you're laughing. I really can't understand why they aren't more popular
noob_pwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_pwn View Post
they're fantastic, underrated, underused guitars. Slap some better pickups in there for whatever your purpose is and you're laughing. I really can't understand why they aren't more popular
Yeah, I just don't get it.

It's a fixed bridge, non-basswood bodied, Japanese made, modestly priced, Ibanez guitar available in colors other than black (Red, White, and Sunburst depending on region).
BigPhi84, s_k_mullins and Bigfan like this.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post

It's a fixed bridge, non-basswood bodied, Japanese made, modestly priced, Ibanez guitar available in colors other than black (Red, White, and Sunburst depending on region).
Because they're not a superstrat. That seems to be the shape that everyone wants.

I personally think that they're fantastic guitars, and if you're into the Wizard neck you should definitely get it.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
Quote:

I agree with all of this, and I love the FR, but modestly priced? That's pushing it a bit... OK, it's not into custom shop territory but it's about 1200 - 1500 over in the UK, which is only slightly less than a Les Paul Standard (which it pisses all over to be fair, but it's still a lot of money)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:

Like Dragonblade already stated, it's because it's not a super-strat or even a traditional body shape, it's an alteration on a Tele style, and apparently people think it's just not the same and overlook them. I personally am not a fan because it looks disproportionate as well as having a rather odd (and useless) pickguard.

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Phrygianist

xfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Let my facial expression show my opinion

xfilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Phrygianist

xfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to allxfilth is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
And if RG's are superstrats, I'd call this a supertele
xfilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
That Guy from Maine

Blasphemer is a glorious beacon of lightBlasphemer is a glorious beacon of lightBlasphemer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sweet! Thanks, guys! Looks like I'll hopefully have a NGD in my future!
Blasphemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Guitar Whore

Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfilth View Post
And if RG's are superstrats, I'd call this a supertele
This^^^

ALso, would the S series be considered a Superstrat? If so then Ibanez has maybe four different modle series that are lol.

The FR looks like a great guitar, I have always been interested in one. Like the S Series Ibanez needs to put more focus in them.

Guitars: Jackson USA - ESP - Schecter USA - Ibanez
Amps: Marshall - Carvin - Line 6
Church2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
They're really solid guitars, and believe it or not they feel/balance very much like an RG in your hands. They have the same exact 24-fret Prestige Wizard neck that's been on Prestige RGs since around 04', so it'll be very familiar if you've owned one in that time. The cutaway feel very similar as well. It's essentially a fixed bridge RG with a single cutaway.

As for tones, the pickups are surprisingly good, maybe not for "teh br00tlz" but they're very solid. The Ash body is really nice too, very reminicent of some more "vintage" style guitars. The Ash and single cutaway do add some weight, I'd say maybe a full pound or so to your average RG.

As for the bridge, it's a work of art. Solid, functional, and really comfortable under your hand.
Pretty much this. Exactly what I thought about them.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketheadRules View Post
I agree with all of this, and I love the FR, but modestly priced? That's pushing it a bit... OK, it's not into custom shop territory but it's about 1200 - 1500 over in the UK, which is only slightly less than a Les Paul Standard (which it pisses all over to be fair, but it's still a lot of money)
For a MIJ it's priced pretty good, it sells for between $1000 and $1300 over here, that's the equivalent of ~600 - ~800. Once again, you guys are getting put over the barrel by distributors and import taxes.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 07-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

buffa d is a jewel in the rough
I'd REALLY want a 7-string version of the FR shape. I might even sell my j-custom for one
simonXsludge likes this.
buffa d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
For a MIJ it's priced pretty good, it sells for between $1000 and $1300 over here, that's the equivalent of ~600 - ~800. Once again, you guys are getting put over the barrel by distributors and import taxes.
I'm gonna make it my life-project to bring Europe/Asian together into 1 big-ass continent.

We will then unify as a whole and have modest prices on all guitars.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote