homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
NGD! ("How Could I" indeed, Paul!)

As some of you may know from the other thread, some people around here like Steinbergers, and I myself have been a fan of them for a while; but have never played, nor seen on in person, be it legitimate M/GM/Oar, a Spirit model. HOWEVER, on Sunday night, I was perusing various company websites search for a new guitar as a present for myself (and because I had all this graduation money burning a hole in my pocket). I decided "why not" and search to see if any new Steiny results had come in lately.

And what did I find? Why, a blue Steinberger GM4-R had come up for sale from Guitar Center, and at a ....ing STEAL of a price for a 7/10 condition!

Unfortunately, by the time I found this elusive guitar, it was past their closing time, so not only could I not buy it, but neither could anyone else at least. So time goes by, and throughout the night I'm checking in on her, already calling it "mine."

NEXT DAY! I wake up, do some intarwebs stuff, and Around one o'clock I called up the GC in PA and said "I noticed you just got a Steinberger in for sale, I'd like to purchase it" and the deed was done. Gave them my name, address, and billing info and 2 days later voila - it's at my doorstep!

ON TO THE PICTURES!

Dat pickup configuration

What I THOUGHT was missing from the guitar, but was merely just hiding from the flash

Dat neck

Inside/low-light it's more of an aqua-esque color scheme, but in natural lighting the blue color REALLY pops out, hence why I took some pics before it got too late and had to wait until tomorrow.

Worst part of this was I was getting ready to run some errands and then it miraculously showed up at my doorstep without me noticing a thing I was already in gym clothes and DID have to mail out another guitar so I couldn't just drop everything and play it like I wanted. BUT ALAS, she's mine and none of you can have her, so back off!

Any suggestions for a name?

(and yes, bad Cynic joke is bad)

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Mindcrime1204 is just really niceMindcrime1204 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hella nice axe!

WARNING: This guitar does not float! DO NOT attempt to surf on it!
Mindcrime1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Valbert is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
Why, a blue Steinberger GM4-R had come up for sale from Guitar Center, and at a ....ing STEAL of a price for a 7/10 condition!
Sorry to correct you, but it's a GR4R - there's no GM with an R-Trem (except those poor mutilated Ed Roman ones)

However, congrats! That's one awesome looking axe! I love the metallic-blue color
Seems like it's an older, pre-MusicYo Steinie.

I've got a MusicYo GR4R. Gotta take some outdoor pictures of it, the green finish looks so beautiful in the sunlight

*edit*

Strange... your GR has the same cracks between neck pickup and neck as mine. Seems to be a weakpoint of some Steinies.
Valbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Whoops, you are correct sir!

And yes, as Justin told me it IS a pre-Gibson/MusicYo era Steiny which is pretty cool to me at least. I didn't expect to find something like this at a Guitar Center.

I just tuned her up and gave it a run through on some Explosions in the Sky songs, and holy wow does this thing have a flat board. Like, I wanna say it's literally just flat, no radius at all.
Justin Bailey and Dead Undead like this.

(´・ω・`)

Unread 06-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

Nice to hear it's playing well.
Is it just me, or is the neck kinda wonky? On the 4th pic, it looks like it points a bit to the left... or it's just a shadow. Have you checked if the neck mounting screws are tight?
I had that problem right after I got mine.

How do you like the R-Trem?
Unread 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Saw title, knew Steiny was imminent, still was shocked. God damn I'm jealous. I would totally rock some Integral Birth on that beauty.

As for a name. You could call it 'Maya' or 'Adam'.
Justin Bailey likes this.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

I just imagined how awesome a GM or GR with the "Traced in Air" or "Focus" Motive would be. Maybe someday, I'll get one, strip the paint off and let a varnisher guy I know do exactly that motive. Man, that would be awesome.
Unread 06-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Be_eM is a jewel in the rough
Just a little tip: the little crackles between trem and bridge PU might be a warning to check the trem posts (where the knife edges sit on). Especially with string gauges > .009 these may bend. And if they bend, you should fix it before the trem damages the guitar body further.

Bernd
Be_eM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
You guys are funny

indrangelion is a glorious beacon of lightindrangelion is a glorious beacon of lightindrangelion is a glorious beacon of light
That is one delicious looking Steinberger. Thank you, you have successfully re-ignited my GAS for one of these

So long, losers.

Enjoy your Bare Knuckles, fanned frets, Axe fx II, and Djentprogmathcore bands.

Over and out.
indrangelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
MFB
ExBendable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valbert View Post
Nice to hear it's playing well.
Is it just me, or is the neck kinda wonky? On the 4th pic, it looks like it points a bit to the left... or it's just a shadow. Have you checked if the neck mounting screws are tight?
I had that problem right after I got mine.

How do you like the R-Trem?
I actually just figured out how to unlock it last night and just used my hand to do some vibrato, .... this trem Not that it's too tight or anything, but without a locking nut it has no way to return to pitch so I went fairly out of tune afterwards.

As for the neck, it looks to be alright and all the screws are tight; I can say when I took the pics, it could've been sitting slightly more on the left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be_eM View Post
Just a little tip: the little crackles between trem and bridge PU might be a warning to check the trem posts (where the knife edges sit on). Especially with string gauges > .009 these may bend. And if they bend, you should fix it before the trem damages the guitar body further.

Bernd
I'll take a look in the near future, truth be told I have absolutely ZERO idea how to access anything underneath the tremolo or even how to change the strings on this thing

(´・ω・`)

Unread 06-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I actually just figured out how to unlock it last night and just used my hand to do some vibrato, .... this trem Not that it's too tight or anything, but without a locking nut it has no way to return to pitch so I went fairly out of tune afterwards.
OK, I understand. Some proper instructions might help
I've attached a PDF of the (no longer available) instructions from the MY website. Maybe they help.

In short words: Always tune the guitar LOCKED. Once tuned to pitch, unlock, and then turn the master tuning knob until locked and unlocked position of the trem are identical, means: guitar is in tune also when unlocked.

Quote:
I'll take a look in the near future, truth be told I have absolutely ZERO idea how to access anything underneath the tremolo or even how to change the strings on this thing
I've published some information about the "bent posts syndrome" on my website. Maybe it also helps to understand better when you read the related KB-Trem article. Both trems share some components.

Bernd
Attached Files
File Type: pdf steinberger.pdf (157.7 KB, 8 views)
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
MFB
ExBendable

Right now the trems master tuning knob is locked, or just turned as far as it can go, so that much SHOULD be correct. The first time I tuned it, it was locked (didn't know this at the time) and when I was trying to see where the other ball end was/where it might go; that's when I discovered the locking lever.

Thanks for the links/pdf, I'll give em a read tonight

(´・ω・`)

Unread 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Such a revelation!

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Right now the trems master tuning knob is locked, or just turned as far as it can go, so that much SHOULD be correct.
No, this is not correct. The master tuning knob should never be in any end position. What it does: it compresses the trem spring and adjusts the tension this way, in order to get a perfect balance between string tension (pulling the trem up) and spring tension (pressing the trem down). Set up correctly, the movable part of the trem does NOT move between locking and unlocking the trem with the lever.
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
MFB
ExBendable

Oh, well then, I should probably go adjust that

(´・ω・`)

Unread 06-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #16
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Really? Mine stays perfectly in tune, even after dive bombs and stuff. Well, maybe yours is worn out or something.
sytraxiplague likes this.
Unread 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Love these guitars so much. Now you have to learn all of focus.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
Thundercrafter

Dead Undead is just really niceDead Undead is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
VERY Nice. Never gotten to play a Steinberger but have always wanted to. Congrats! It looks shveet.
Dead Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Justin Bailey is a name known to allJustin Bailey is a name known to allJustin Bailey is a name known to allJustin Bailey is a name known to all
This thread has so many things I love: Explosions in the Sky, Cynic, Steinbergers. I'm so happy.

Awesome score, man, that thing is in great condition, much better than I anticipated.
Justin Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

This thread needs moar GRs
Even though I already posted it in the other thread:

Took her to the park today
Unread 06-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
I envy you ....ers

The San Marcos Guitar Center has a red one with a Moses neck for $999: 106046882 if anyone is interested. I can't tell what trem is has other than it looks kinda different from the one on your GR. Transtrem? Could be cool if anyone else is looking for one

EDIT: Ed Roman debauchery is available at San Marcos GC

Love Charity Esteem

Last edited by wannabguitarist; 06-16-2011 at 05:06 PM.
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #22
MFB
ExBendable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabguitarist View Post
I envy you ....ers

The San Marcos Guitar Center has a red one with a Moses neck for $999: 106046882 if anyone is interested. I can't tell what trem is has other than it looks kinda different from the one on your GR. Transtrem? Could be cool if anyone else is looking for one
Actual that's a butchered Romancaster, only thing it'd be good for is stealing the trem and neck off of and then throwing them onto a Spirit body which may not even take the trem without routing.

Also, HUGE props to the Guitar Center in Pennsylvania, since the following just occured!

A box arrives from UPS! Surely this can't be the OTHER guitar I'm expecting, so what is it?

There's a note!

Ah, now it's all explained. But what's this...FREE STRINGS TOO!

Valbert likes this.

(´・ω・`)

Unread 06-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabguitarist View Post
I envy you ....ers

Stay away from that one!
See the "Steinberger GM thread" for more info about that "Steinberger"
wannabguitarist likes this.
Unread 06-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
MFB
ExBendable

Now that I've got the tremolo arm, I guess I REALLY have to set up the thing Gonna be a long day with setting up the tremolo and re-stringing it, oh well.

(´・ω・`)

Unread 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #25
_(:3 」∠)_

silverabyss is just really nicesilverabyss is just really nice
WANT.

I wish you could get a strat-bodied steiny easier.
silverabyss is online now   Reply With Quote