homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Standard Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Standard Guitars Six string, standard guitar discussion here.

Like Tree901Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #426
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dunno how I missed this thread for so long.

PRS has been somewhat elusive, to me. I've lusted after them for years based on a single experience I had at a local guitar shop when I was 14 or 15-ish. Back then, I *really* drooled over PRS. They were the end-all be-all at the time, for me - sort of like how Wayne was about the
Fender Stratocaster in Wayne's World. When I saw a PRS on the wall, I could hear angels singing.

So one time, at that one shop, I got the balls to ask if I could try one of the PRS guitars on the wall, and surprisingly the guys at the shop were happy to let me do so. It was a gorgeous CU22 10 top with a purple stain. To this day, I'm not sure my hands have EVER felt more at home on a guitar than they did on that one. I was playing stuff I wasn't usually able to play on anything else, in that moment.

Alas, ever since that day, I have yet to ever hold another PRS that feels as magical as that one did. I don't know if this is due to design changes over the years, or changes to my own person over the years, or a combination of both, or maybe that the one I tried that day was professionally set up and the others I've tried are just factory set. All I know is that after repeated attempts to recapture that day's magic in the rare moments where I've had enough play-money to consider purchasing one, I have yet to find one that I'd be comfortable investing in.

I still hold out hope, though. Some day I'll probably find a something like a minty used standard 24 and never look back.

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #427
deus ex machina

atimoc is a name known to allatimoc is a name known to allatimoc is a name known to allatimoc is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just a heads-up, Coda-Music currently has two second-hand Custom 24s available for £1199 each. I don't know what the UK prices are usually like, but at least from a Finnish perspective it seems like a decent price.

Secondhand - Coda Music - Leading Retailers Of Gibson, Fender, Marshall Amplifiers & Guitars
themike likes this.

"These songs are long and there are fast parts, so that automatically means that they're good!"
atimoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #428
Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.

tpl2000 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
@Atimoc:

That might be a decent price for the UK, idunno, but cu24's are frequently found for less in the US. 1200 pounds translates to roughly $1850US.

I'm legally blind. My sight is shit.
My left eye is non-functional,
and my right eye is blotchy at
best. I have 2200 sight. I view
my screen in 600% magnification
already. It's tiring to read much
black text on a white screen,
and it's difficult for me even
to spell check as I'm typing
(It's pretty much the
sensation of which key
I hit that I use to backspace.)
tpl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #429
Chug Life

themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl2000 View Post
@Atimoc:

That might be a decent price for the UK, idunno, but cu24's are frequently found for less in the US. 1200 pounds translates to roughly $1850US.
Used Custom 24's usually go for 1700-2400 depending on options, rarity and so on. So for something that is imported thats a pretty good price for sure!

themike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #430
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
The market is finicky too. I've seen CU22/CU24 models sell as low as $1K or as high as $2K. Really depends on a) the economy in general (people get spooked when they hear bad news, then don't buy anything! ), b) how much folks have to spend on fun stuff, which these days seems like less and less and c) the demand for a certain guitar. Some finishes attract a lot of buyers, some only appeal to a select few out of the whole market. Pretty wide margin that these guitars sell in, same with anything else. I've seen CE's sell from $750-$1750 in the past 4 months alone, in fact the flip-flop I let go to a BAM'er for cheap he flipped (after first trying to convince me I needed to take it back... at a higher price than I gave it to him for...? ) it for $1750. Go figure. He went to eBay and apparently found a buyer who REALLY wanted that finish. I posted on forums for several weeks and got nothing, but he also got hit with the higher eBay fees and Paypal so after he got paid and covered shipping he likely only made out with $1500 or so.

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter
Rigs: Invader 100, Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #431
Chug Life

themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.
I mean obviously there are some ridiculous deals on the private seller market, but you must admit 99% of CU24's are not going for 1k haha

And yeah, I saw the flipflop deal

Unread 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #432
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Oh yeah I'm not saying it's even close to that high a percentage, but there have been a LOT of good deals in the past year or so, way moreso than in the past! If you're patient I've seen some with 10tops and birds sell for $1200 in essentially mint condition! People need money and either GAS or financial trouble sometimes forces ridiculous sales, I've been there myself many times!

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Schecter
Rigs: Invader 100, Port City and Mojo cabs w/ Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #433
SS.org Regular

infernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Pass the word to me when those 1200 ten tops show up. I usually see them in the 1600 plus range.
infernalservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #434
the:pawn.project

Rap Hat is just really niceRap Hat is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I love my PRS, it's got my favorite color ever (Matteo Blue), it's comfortably light (7.6lbs), and it has a great "loose" kind of tone to it. It's a 2006 PRS CE22, which I bought in conjunction with a Standard22 Satin (since sold for way too cheap ).

It was interesting to hear the differences between the CE and Standard. The best way I can describe it is the CE provides that looser feel and tone on Tool's "Ænima", while the Standard had the tightness and crunch of "Lateralus". Between the two I was able to cover so much ground, and it gave me an appreciation for well made guitars.

Before I got my PRS's I hated the company, assuming they were overpriced lawyer guitars that couldn't compare to a Gibson (I was dumb). I was going to school in Hollywood and wanted a new guitar, so I went to the local Guitar Center and tried every higher end instrument I could. I'd planned on a Gibson or Parker but wanted to find one that clicked. I think after an hour I'd had no luck so I started on the PRSs. It took a few guitars until I found the Standard22, and I knew that was it. Then I tried the CE22... I bought the Standard after some debating, and that night dealt with the worst GAS I've had. Next day I ran back to GC and got the CE22, which I still have .

While I've further refined my tastes and am now moving towards customs to my specs, if I have the money and a Matteo Blue PRS comes up I pretty much have to get it.

Check out my soundcloud: Slothful Bong
Rap Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #435
Chug Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap Hat View Post
I love my PRS, it's got my favorite color ever (Matteo Blue), it's comfortably light (7.6lbs), and it has a great "loose" kind of tone to it. It's a 2006 PRS CE22, which I bought in conjunction with a Standard22 Satin (since sold for way too cheap ).

It was interesting to hear the differences between the CE and Standard. The best way I can describe it is the CE provides that looser feel and tone on Tool's "Ænima", while the Standard had the tightness and crunch of "Lateralus". Between the two I was able to cover so much ground, and it gave me an appreciation for well made guitars.

Before I got my PRS's I hated the company, assuming they were overpriced lawyer guitars that couldn't compare to a Gibson (I was dumb). I was going to school in Hollywood and wanted a new guitar, so I went to the local Guitar Center and tried every higher end instrument I could. I'd planned on a Gibson or Parker but wanted to find one that clicked. I think after an hour I'd had no luck so I started on the PRSs. It took a few guitars until I found the Standard22, and I knew that was it. Then I tried the CE22... I bought the Standard after some debating, and that night dealt with the worst GAS I've had. Next day I ran back to GC and got the CE22, which I still have .

While I've further refined my tastes and am now moving towards customs to my specs, if I have the money and a Matteo Blue PRS comes up I pretty much have to get it.

Awesome story man. Anyone that quetions the price of the guitars I say should visit the Factory sometime and talk to some of the workers. Not only are all of the parts and woods of the highest quality, but everything is done in the US by a workforce who is actually paid a competitive wage WITH health insurance and other options. I think its a big deal when a company takes care of their workers as well as PRS does. Then factor in the time for research and development designing all these crazy new pickup configurations they've been coming out with and you have a price point that really doesn't seem as outrageous as most people think. The best explanation I can say is that you are getting handmade guitar quality and options out of a production guitar

Unread 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #436
To Kill Achilles

thelarrinator will become famous soon enough
i love the PRS look, a lot of bands i like have used them in the past (or still do) but their tone possibilities seem a little bleak for what i like/what i look for

imagine being fingered by king kong...
thelarrinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #437
Chug Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelarrinator View Post
i love the PRS look, a lot of bands i like have used them in the past (or still do) but their tone possibilities seem a little bleak for what i like/what i look for
What do you like/look for? I have an archtop that has the classiest tones, a 513 thatll give you spank and range of any other instrument, a tremonti that sounds huge and hot and lastly a CU coming that will melt faces with some BKP's....

Unread 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #438
To Kill Achilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3m1ke View Post
What do you like/look for? I have an archtop that has the classiest tones, a 513 thatll give you spank and range of any other instrument, a tremonti that sounds huge and hot and lastly a CU coming that will melt faces with some BKP's....
It's hard to explain for me! haha :P
I'm an ibanez man, the RGT6EXFX does everything for me.

Although I like the look of PRS's, I wouldn't like to be on stage or anything with one of them. It's like half the skanks in the world. They may look nice, but would i .... ride that - if you get me?

As for sound, I'm yet to find one that sounds punchy enough for my liking with also having a smooth lead tone if need be. I like more of a clarified crunch in my tones and with every PRS i've played, none have delivered

That's just my personal preference though, it's a known fact they are sub-zero and made to an outstanding degree. It's just not for me

Unread 03-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #439
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Just pulled the trigger on a SE Custom 24. Now to wait for the mail
themike likes this.

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #440
SS.org Regular

infernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelarrinator View Post
It's hard to explain for me! haha :P
I'm an ibanez man, the RGT6EXFX does everything for me.

Although I like the look of PRS's, I wouldn't like to be on stage or anything with one of them. It's like half the skanks in the world. They may look nice, but would i .... ride that - if you get me?

As for sound, I'm yet to find one that sounds punchy enough for my liking with also having a smooth lead tone if need be. I like more of a clarified crunch in my tones and with every PRS i've played, none have delivered

That's just my personal preference though, it's a known fact they are sub-zero and made to an outstanding degree. It's just not for me

You should maybe try a CE, specially one with a maple board if you want a snappier sound with the maximum clarity a PRS can offer. It might be a little harder to find, but they can go head to head with any Ibanez I have owned for that super strat tone.
infernalservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #441
To Kill Achilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalservice View Post
You should maybe try a CE, specially one with a maple board if you want a snappier sound with the maximum clarity a PRS can offer. It might be a little harder to find, but they can go head to head with any Ibanez I have owned for that super strat tone.
Thanks man i'll have a look for one next time im in a big city (the music stores in Dundee are very limited) and i'll be sure to try one out if i see one

Unread 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #442
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
I actually have a question; with the neck, I know that the frets aren't extra jumbo.

How does that affect play-ability?

I ordered my Custom 24 without ever having touched a PRS before in my life, and although it was an extreme decision, I did so after hearing tons of good things about them and after a long, long bout of GAS.

Does the fret size make playing any more difficult than usual, or is it a, "you'll get used to it," sort of thing?

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #443
ss.org Regular

DanielVE is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGriebel View Post
I actually have a question; with the neck, I know that the frets aren't extra jumbo.

How does that affect play-ability?

I ordered my Custom 24 without ever having touched a PRS before in my life, and although it was an extreme decision, I did so after hearing tons of good things about them and after a long, long bout of GAS.

Does the fret size make playing any more difficult than usual, or is it a, "you'll get used to it," sort of thing?
Don't worry, i have yet to find a PRS that does not play great. The frets may not be extra Jumbo, but they are big enough, an PRSi can go very very low action. I have a tremonti a love it to death. My cousin is a collector and have 20+ prsi, all models, all of them play great.
DanielVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #444
ss.org Regular

bluediamond is on a distinguished road
I never played a PRS yet unfortunately..
but there's something wrong with their looks.. like they're designed to look amazing in photo shoot, but a bit too flashy in real life..
I also don't like their body shape.. a bit too large in proportion for 25' scale, and the deeply carved/arched top just doesn't work for me.. again it looks amazing on photo but in reality when it's dirty and full of finger prints under reflection it's just very ugly to my taste..
I also don't like the fact almost every mainstream musician in my country play PRS.. and most of them can't play
bluediamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #445
elq
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.elq is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've liked every PRS I've played (very few sadly as I'm a lefty)... but what on earth were they thinking with this

Oh, can someone please ask the fine folks in Maryland to offer lefty MEQ. I promise I will buy one...
elq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #446
Guitar Whore

Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.Church2224 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by elq View Post
I've liked every PRS I've played (very few sadly as I'm a lefty)... but what on earth were they thinking with this

http://i.imgur.com/wYyww.jpg

Oh, can someone please ask the fine folks in Maryland to offer lefty MEQ. I promise I will buy one...
I honestly think that guitar is gorgeous! Mainly because blue, black and green are my favorite colors.

Guitars: Jackson USA - ESP - Schecter USA - Ibanez
Amps: Marshall - Carvin - Line 6
Church2224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #447
Chug Life

Quote:
Haha, another fine example of sprayers choice. Believe it or not a lot of people dig that guitar, mostly becuase of the natural back. Normally a guitar with this kind of top would have a black back.

Unread 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #448
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:

http://i.imgur.com/wYyww.jpg

The colors are amazing... if it was a burst I'd probably be trying to buy it

Not so fond of the way it is though

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #449
POSTING ON INTERNET

Miek is just really niceMiek is just really nice
I actually like the way it is, it's different from a burst and kind of looks like a sea blending into a field into the night sky.
Miek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #450
Chug Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miek View Post
I actually like the way it is, it's different from a burst and kind of looks like a sea blending into a field into the night sky.
Thats a good point, and they do try to replicate things in nature a lot. Ill never forget the first time I saw their rendition of walking into the water from a beach.